cooling down windshields

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
the guy
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Bad Repairwork

Post by the guy »

I am still pretty new in the profession and was interested in finding out some of the better methods of cooling a windshield to a decent temperature.
thanks
the guy
scratchy

cooling down windshields

Post by scratchy »

Throw a beach towel over the W/S and turn the airconditioner on defrost full blast for a few minutes while getting ready.
screenman

Post by screenman »

I am sure that the previous post meant for you to turn the aircon on full on the coolest setting I think some people may confuse maximum defrost with setting the aircon at the highest temperature.
33,000 + screen repairs over 18 years and still learning.
Over
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

Max cool probably isnt a good idea too quick a change will spread the break
A 50/50 alcohol spray away from the break will cool it combined with the air on will bring it to temp without being so harsh and quick. I cant tell you the number of times while working out of the carwash that the customer entered the wash with a small chip or crack only to come out with a huge crack

DUH tole ya ta git it fixxed bub and yup its to late now
Coitster

Post by Coitster »

I recommend getting yourself a EZ-UP Tent, and let the windshield cool down for 5 to 10 minutes before starting the repair. Thats what I do, best $200 bucks you will ever spend.
David
Coitster
Glass
Talbert

Post by Talbert »

EZ-UP's only $69.00 at Academy sports right now.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I spent $9.00 on a set of two inside windshield sun blockers, they are flexable and fold up into a small ring for storage. I place one over the windshield, weighted on the top and under the wiper for the bottom. I then lightly mist water on the WS if it is not too hot. I let it have a few if it needs and then lightly wet it. I cool till I can place the inside of my wrist on the glass and feel it cool, takes maybe 5 - 10 min. Now I have shade to work with also and a great UV blocker to boot. I have not gotten my EZ-up out yet, I find that a lot of the cars do not have the room around them for my covering. I will get it in the car soon and give it a try, will keep me cooler too I know.

mark
Mikedoby

Post by Mikedoby »

The Guy, I agree with Glass Starz and his method of using the 50/50 alchol spray on the hot glass. I also use 50% water / 50% alchol mixture apray away from the damaged area. Glass is a very good thermo conducter. If you cool the windshield in one area, the cooling effect will migrate across the windshield to the damaged area as well. Any way that you choose, the secret is to cool down the windshield gradually. I have also used the A/C to help bring the inside temperature down while shading the windshield with a beach towel as suggested.
the guy

Hmmm.....

Post by the guy »

Thanks for all the tips! I do have an E-Z up but it seems like to much of a hassel to use because I go door to door. I did however purchace a 70/30 alchohal mix because I couldnt find a 50/50 mix. Should I water it down? As it is, it does cool, but I dont know if it would cool better @ 50/50. I will get a thicker towel as well. thanks again everyone.
the guy

Post by the guy »

I almost forgot, I wanted to ask mark, where did you get the sun blockers and does anyone else use them?