The Black Spot!

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
jonnyques

Post by jonnyques »

Hi I have noticed that on some repairs I have a small black spot at the pit or rather just below the pit. :( Looking at the repair with my inspection mirror it looks filled and no spot present. Ive wondered if while removing the bridge the vacuume from the injector coming up from the glass has pulled some resin out of the repair. I do remove it in the preasure cycle. I have now been lossening off the wing nut to let the injector lift off slower before removing the suction cup. Some times it seems the spot increases in size as Im applying the pit sealer. Is it just the resin running out of the pit and repaired area because its so opened up? Can it be from the speed at which the injector is removed? Any sugestions? Thanks All
Delta Kits
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Delta Kits »

First thing, of course...Call your manufacturer for tech support if you haven't already!

Second, it sounds like you're losing resin between removing the injector and applying pit resin. The time between removing the injector and applying the pit resin & tape needs to be as quick as possible.

Obviously, no need to race, but you need to be efficient.

Don't spend time cleaning the windshield. Make sure you have your pit resin bottle with the lid off in one hand, know where your tape is, etc.
Delta Kits, Inc.
jonnyques

Post by jonnyques »

Hey I'm Delta all the way! Call Tech support? I can wait untill I can post on the forum. Between your help Jeff and ALL the great support from the members who so willing give of their time and knowledge, this IS THE BEST TECH SUPPORT!!!
Thanks to all!
jonnyques

Post by jonnyques »

O back to the question at hand. Jeff when I remove the bridge, should I just release the suction cup all at once or try to do it slowly as I have been doing? Poping it off, puting it on a rag, and then applying the pit resin and tape would be faster. Is this what you sugest?
shermfiddle

Post by shermfiddle »

There is a simple solution to this problem and that is to release pressure on the injector. Remove the injector and stick a toothpick or pin into the drill hole and add a drop of pit filler then slowly pull out the toothpick and that will remove all trapped air in the pit. I am always amazed how well the repair looks right afterwards. Hope this help?
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

I found when I cut down to hardly any drilling the funky spot went away. While it was still a problem I solved it by imeadiatly putting a tab on after removing the injector cure then add the pit to the top if still needed and tab and cure again. I switched to the green cap from LR and really dont use pit filler much any more. Also a pressure cure will prevent the shrinking that I think causes the spot :shock:

Hydroponics worked for me
Mikedoby

Tent Set Up

Post by Mikedoby »

Johnnyques, Are you sure that your are allowing for adaquate curing time before you remove your injector? I had a simular problem and solutioned it by leaving my curing lamp on both sides of the injector while under pressure for about two minutes each. This may not be your problem, but fixed the problem for me. Good luck. :lol:
jonnyques

Post by jonnyques »

Just wondering if anyone has ever cured from the inside? I scared to as I thought it might screw up the injector. It sure would make curing under preasue easier!
EASTCOASTWINDSHIELDREPAIR

Post by EASTCOASTWINDSHIELDREPAIR »

if your suggesting curing from the inside of the car
this will not happen, due to the uv protective shield in the windshield. Your curing choices are uv light or natural sunlight. Maybe you need a better uv light ?
jonnyques

Post by jonnyques »

Cool! I didn't know the the laminat was also a UV barrier