Has anyone heard of American Windshield Repair Systems

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
mixalot

training new people- what not to do

Post by mixalot »

Hi there, I am looking to start a mobile windshield repair business. I'm in the process of determining which kit I should buy. I came accross the site for American Windshield repair systems. there kits looks quite good and cost only $375.00. Does anyone have any experience using this system?

If not can some experienced members please check out the website at http://www.windshieldrepairkits.com/pd_ ... deluxe.cfm and give me your opinion of the kits contents. I have looked into and received info from quite a few companies who sell kits. The delta Kits look really good, but the price is a bit more than I want to spend. I'm trying to start up with minimal investment in the beginning until I see if I like it and can get enough business. Thanks for your help

Craig
Fasbreak
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Has anyone heard of American Windshield Repair Systems

Post by Fasbreak »

mixalot,

As with all things in life my friend, after looking at that kit, you get what you pay for. Nuff Said! Spend that $400 on one of Delta's windshield repair kits, you will be glad you did!

Stan
mixalot

Post by mixalot »

I thought the kit looked quite good for the price, but I dont know much about wsr. I would just like to start up cheap if possible until I am sure Its something I'm gonna stick with. Maybe I'll keep an eye on ebay for a better quality used kit for $500 or less. Thank you for your input.
dgarza

Thanx to Screenman

Post by dgarza »

I have been doing this for almost a year now and I can honestly say that kit looks worthless. 1st: that drill does not look like it would be easy to use on glass since it has that angled head. 2nd: that bridge only has one adjustment on it and that will just not cut it on all windshields. you need at least two leveling screws like the delta bridges to get a good seal on a windshield everytime. 3rd: I cant tell if that uv light has suction cups on it but even if it does it doesnt look like one catered to windshield repair. Delta is the only brand I have ever tried so it may look like I am just partial to them but from my experience I have never had any problems with their equipment that wasnt my fault! Its easy to use and has served me well plus their customer service cannot be beat. I have looked at other kits and have seen some that look like they could work just as good as deltas but this one just doesnt come close.

oh and by the way, I wonder how much they are charging for that can of window cleaner :lol:
GlassStarz

dont do it.

Post by GlassStarz »

Dude I went to thier site go to the buisness start up section for a belly buster of a laugh!! they sell thier $375 kit with a box of buisness cards a pack of reciepts a $99 pop up tent and a couple $35 banners for $3'999 what a deal! Dude your getting a Delta! or Liquid Resins they work good too
mixalot

Post by mixalot »

Thanks so much for your input. I have never even tried fixing a ws before so I know virtually nothing about this, other than its something I'd like to give a try. Based on your responses, I think I'll likely go with the delta kit though.

Glass......I got a good laugh out of the business package for $3000 too, that definatley seemed like a big rip off. I wasnt considering buying that one, thats forsure. Anyways, I really appreciate your advice
mafsu

Thanks alot for the responses

Post by mafsu »

I would definitely call the folks at Delta, Glass Technology, Glass Mechanix, or other established wsr suppliers before spending money with this company.
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

mixalot, you got the negative responses to that kit I expected to see. I will add my $.02...

Obviously, this company is a small-time, low dollar outfit. We can't say how good their instruction manual and video are, and how good the included resin is, etc.

I can comment on the basic equipment however, as I have used essentially the same things.

1. That cure light works ok, just like any 4 watt AA battery light. But I would strongly recomend quality 12V light... good ones are in the $100 range. I haven't used one of those AA lights for several years now, btw.

2. The drill is a Black and Decker Wizard, and it works perfectly fine. In fact I know some guys who love it and tossed all their Dremels.

3. The repair tool. I have used the same bridge design for 12 years, although from a different company. There is absolutley no reason to trash it (unless there is some problem with the quality of this particular brand). The fit and finish of the tool and seals is not something we can know from a picture.

I have seen a similar very basic kit for $250 that had the same repair tool. For $375, it's hard to say it's rip off. Is it a bargain? Depends on how good the training materials and tech support is, etc... we can't tell you that.

In most cases, the company behind the kit is what counts.

I see nothing wrong with it on the surface, as long as the people selling it stand behind it and can help you.

p.s. I have Delta, Glasweld, and U.S. Windshield Repair equipment as well.
StarQuest

Post by StarQuest »

mixalot,

Don't buy into some cheap $375 dollar get started get rich repair kit system like this!!!! I'd bought something similar to this system 10 years back when I first opened my full service glass shop. Initially, I thought I'd make lots of $$$ off it but it turned out to be total junk and took me 6 months to pay for it. If your really serious about repair and making money doing this buy something a few ticks up from this. You really need to just spend more time researching every quality company kit available. That's called educating yourself into the market. Number one focus should always be on customer service!!!! Delta is one of 3 that I'd be looking at seriously.

Good Luck!
mixalot

Glass Mechanix

Post by mixalot »

Obviously I'm new to this and don't know much about the equipment. I would just naturally prefer to start off with a smaller investment until I'm sure its something I like and am going to stick with. I think based on your responses I will definatley take some more time deciding. I have got all the promo materials from both delta, and glass mechanix and they both look like good systems. Its really only the price that makes them somewhat unnattractive, specially because I'm Canada so I have the exchange to contend with as well

Anyways all of your feedback is greatly appreciated and I thank you for taking the time to respond.