Jiffy-Lube Doing Windshield Repair?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
the big welshman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by the big welshman »

I here that Jiffy Lube are now in the windshield repair buisness in some, states they are using Liquid resin equipment. Here in mass they are not doing much buisness because there is no deductable on glass-The-Big welshman
StarQuest

Post by StarQuest »

That's interesting big welshman,

I know in my area Safelite glass has had the contract with them for over 4 years. From what I've been told Safelite pays them $10-15 per referral. Have any idea what there charging for cash repairs? Can't imagine the insurance companies giving these yahoo's authorization to repair windshields.
Can't wait to see how Jiffy Lube will warranty shields that are broken during repair. If it's anything like their lube service warranty I'd beware!
I fought with them for 8 months before they'd replace cowl piece they broke on my car while checking cabin filter. Everytime it rained the passenger side compartment was soaked. Only after threatening a lawsuit did they take care the problem. If they start doing repairs they better change their name to "Jiffy Pop" because that's what I anticipate happening :wink:
gold star wsr

Post by gold star wsr »

Jiffy Lubes in Albuquerque used to have windshield repair on their marquees and banners over the bays, but lately I havent been seeing either at their sites that I pass by often. I did check it out when they first started offering wsr (I drove our other car, and acted like customer off the street). I asked how it was done, he showed me the GT computerized system and said 'the machine does the work, we dont even have to watch' . [oh, boy!]
Maybe too many unhappy customers? John Q Public is getting smarter now about stuff ... the one stop concept is only okay if you are willing to settle for second best on some things, and wsr isnt a 'novelty' anymore. Its recognized as a valued service, offered by trained professionals and paid for by insurance.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

LR is the biggest supplier to Quick lubes Hopefully more big chains like midas etc will do the same my feeling is the more people are aware of us and what we do the more work we get and the more main stream establishments that offer WR the more legit we appear.
Tons of indy guys currently work out of carwashs,service depts and other high volume locations why shouldnt some of them hire a full time guy pay him a decent percentage and give him the benifits that come with working there? As long as the repair is done correctly what harm can it do? Think about it all the big chain replacement guys offer WR.
gold star wsr

Post by gold star wsr »

You are absolutely correct, GlassStarz... unfortunately that doesnt seem to be what is happening in most locales. A customer comes in for oil change and lube, and "hey, I need that rock chip done too" ... and they hand the job off to whatever grease monkey who isnt busy at the time... maybe he's been adequately trained... but most likely he hasnt... but the customer doesnt know the difference anyway. Even high volume places arent being very discriminating about who they have on site to do the repairs... there is a car wash chain in Albuq. that has a deal with a repair/replacement outfit ... and I cant tell you how many of their bad jobs I have reworked... and Albuquerque is not even my main base of operation!
StarQuest

Post by StarQuest »

I have to agree with Gold Star,

Jiffy Lube isn't going to have some guy sitting around their shop all day long just to do repairs. It's all about profit and loss to them and believe me they can't afford to pay this person to do repair only. The same $7-$8 hour guy stripping out your drain plug will also be doing your windshield repair. Hopefully he wipes the grease off his hands before attempting the repair. Will it inhance our business opportunities?:roll: Not if they do shabby work! Customers will leave their place thinking we all stink in repair.

Just my opinion :wink:
the big welshman

Post by the big welshman »

Hi there again, I have noticed that a franchise unit ie JIFFY LUBE out of the Worcester area of MA is now a member of the NWRA ---
gold star wsr

JIFFY-LUBE ie WINDSHIELD REPAIR

Post by gold star wsr »

All that means is they put up the moola for their membership.
GlassStarz

Stumped!?!

Post by GlassStarz »

Actually they recieve a ton of training from LR as part of the package and lots of support and generally do as good a job as the replacement guys.
To imply that somehow since a guy earns his living working at a jiffy lube somehow makes him less qualified to do WR borders on being a type of biggotry

Sorry folks this buisness of ours isnt hard anyone can be taught to do average repairs the hard part is the sales and buisness stuff and the ability to do these things makes the difference.
Look at the replacement guys lots of big chain guys doing 10 times the number of repairs we indys do I realize everyone likes to think they are somehow better than others but face it folks we arnt brain surgeons or even podiatrists for that matter just guys who have learned how to use a small injector on a windshield and make a better than average living at it.

Just my 2 cents
Dave M

Post by Dave M »

I'm sure glad that I'm not just "anyone" performing average repairs. I'm proud having my OWN windshield repair business as I think most everyone else is on this forum.

Having somebody at Jiffy Lube do a w/s repair is like going to your dentist for a massage. Maybe they were trained to give a great backrub but how experienced can they be? Just my opinion!!