Resin Reaction

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
souchie

Resin Reaction

Post by souchie »

Hi,I'am new to the forum,so let me get started.I have been doing repairs for about a year and everthing has been fine then all of a sudden my fingers started peeling and cracking, do to a resin reaction, so I started using derma-shield barrier cream and nitrile gloves and it is still doing the same thing also I switched to GT acid free resin.
Can anybody help me with this problem.I don't know if its the resin ,the derma-shied or the gloves that are still causing the problem.
Also does anybody know what to use to clear up the fingers.I have used bag bahm,urea cream and steriod creams.It clears up then comes back.
Thanks,Souchie
crackhead

Re: Resin Reaction

Post by crackhead »

Are you certain that it was a reaction to resin in the first place? I can't imagine getting enough resin on my hands or fingers to cause a reaction. In general I hardly get resin on me at all. Maybe you should check with a dermatoligist to see if it's due to something other than resin.
sunshine wr

Post by sunshine wr »

It doesn't sound like a resin reaction . I'm with crackhead I get very little if any resin on me. See the doctor.
Delta Kits
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Delta Kits »

I would definitely talk to a dermatologist. If you do, bring the MSDS sheets of the resins that you have used when you had these reactions. MSDS sheets will help them diagnose a problem.
Delta Kits, Inc.
ARG

Post by ARG »

Souchie,

It sounds like you have the same problem I've had. While the resin may aggravate the problem, the time of year and weather may play a part. In winter time the air is very dry, anyone living in areas that normally has dry air like Colorado, New Mexico, etc. may have problems year round.

I like you have steriod cream and have used nitrile gloves and derma shield, with no relief.

Here is what I found has helped me.

1) Soap, when ever you wash your hands avoid any anti-bacterial soap. According to what I've read and my doctor these will dry your skin big time. My doc recommends plain Dove. Wash with cool water not hot.

2) Use several times a day Vaseline "Deep Moisture Creamy Formula" it comes in a white tube, with blue cap. Available at Walmart cost $3.

3) Gloves, if what I've read is true nitrile is another form of latex; one pack I bought warned that people sensitive to latex should avoid using them. I've found that food handling gloves "High-Density Polyethylene" work best. I get mine at Sam's Club for about $5 for a thousand gloves. These gloves do fit loose which can be at times alittle difficult but unlike nitrile or latex they can be taken off and put back on.

Finally I use the gloves when ever I may come in contact with resin. I use heavy duty nitrile gloves when I clean my equipment with alcohol. Cost of these about $10 as I remember but they last a long time.

I hope this helps.

ARG
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

I agree that it's probably a dry skin/weather related problem. Any irritant like resin or cremes can just keep making it worse once it's started...

One of my boys recently had a bad case of dry irritated skin on his hands. He was washing his hands (and playing in the water) a lot with liquid antibacterial soap. It just kept getting worse... all red, etc before we got him to stop doing that.

We got some "cornhuskers" lotion and it cleared up in a few days. I would recomend trying that for a hand lotion. You can find it at grocery stores... (I don't think walmart has it ;) ).
souchie

Post by souchie »

Thanks for the suggestions; however,the reason that I'am getting resin on my fingers is because I use the Glass-Weld Pro-Vac which requires that you remove the end seal and then fill with resin and then replace the seal. Anyone out there that uses the Pro-Vac and if so how do you load it with out touching the end seal with your fingers and not get resin on them.Thanks,Souchie
TexasChipster

Post by TexasChipster »

Souchie,
Did you get the email I sent you a couple of months ago in reply to the email you sent me about the problem with your fingers?
I had the worst reaction to the resins that could be had. My fingers cracked open and bled, and were so sore I couldn't even button my shirt. I used all kinds of balms, creams, latex gloves, slept with creams & gloves on, but nothing helped. I finally went to a dermatologist and he said that the resins were definately the cause of my problem and prescribed a steroid cream that I told you about in the email I sent you. After using the creams he prescribed, my fingers cleared up. I started using the nitrile gloves and GT acid free resins. I also purchased an injector from Delta kits and I can use a medicine dropper to fill the injector and keep it off my hands. If any resin gets on my gloves, I remove them and put new ones on. I don't touch any towels or equipment that might have resin on them with my bare fingers. I've been doing windshield repair for about a year since my fingers cleared up and haven't had any problems at all. If you have any questions or if I can help you in any way, send me an email.
TxChipster
Dave M

Post by Dave M »

Okay, maybe some of you have heard of this or maybe even use it. This isn't a joke.

Try Zim's Crack Cream. Purchase at your local store where they have a pharmacy. Try the cream not the oil!

I heard of this product while listening to Rush Limbaugh on the radio.

Here in Maine my hands do the same thing but only in the winter months. Spring, summer and fall my hands are smooth as a baby's behind.
GlasWeldTech

Post by GlasWeldTech »

Souchie,
When I pull the bottom seal out of our pro vacs I pull the stem down a little (old style) or with the pro vac 2000 I will just unscrew the piston a little and then I take a long stem q-tip ( don't know the correct name but it has cotton on only one end) I use the wooden end and stick it in the seal and pull it out. I also only use LATEX gloves. Maybe you will have to get a cortizone shot from the dermatologist.Hope this helps.