Licensing In Texas?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Delta Kits
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Licensing In Texas?

Post by Delta Kits »

Well, for all of you that thought the Connecticut thing would stay there:
Technician Licensing Bill Introduced in Texas

Senator Ken Armbrister has introduced a bill into the Texas legislature relating to the licensing and regulation of glass technicians.

The bill is designed to ensure that all glass technicians are required to have the proper skilled knowledge and training to perform services in what is currently an unregulated industry, points out Vickie Stewart, president of the Texas Glass Association. The group issued a press release urging all citizens of the state to support the proposed legislation.
The bill is currently in the Business & Commerce committee.

"The Texas Glass Association takes consumers' safety seriously and supports SB 305," Stewart stated in the press release.
To read the actual bill yourself (which, if you're in Texas, I highly recommend), go to http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlo/79R/ ... 00305I.HTM

To sum it up though, for repair people, the requirements to do windshield repair would be:

1. Must be 18 or older
2. 8th grade education or higher
3. PAY
4. Pass an examination
5. Take and pass a manufacturers certification program
6. Complete at least 200 repairs
7. Oh yea, and also be a trainee under a licensed repair tech for no less than six months

Also, as it reads currently, there are no provisions for grandfathering in people who do not qualify, even if you're currently in business now

Again, if they can get this done in Texas, no state is safe.
Delta Kits, Inc.
Delta Kits

Re: Licensing In Texas?

Post by Delta Kits »

From the NWRA:
Texas and Maryland have recently introduced legislation to require licensing for windshield repair and auto glass replacement. The NWRA has become involved in both states in order to ensure that windshield repairers and companies supplying them are treated fairly. The NWRA is particularly concerned that windshield repair be licensed separately from auto glass replacement and that everyone has the right to expand his windshield repair business or found a new windshield repair business without uncalled for and unnecessary bureaucratic barriers obstructing their actions.

If you live or operate in these states, this legislation is critical to your business's survival. The legislative bills are currently in the rewriting stage. Changes can and are being made to accommodate the needs of the windshield repair community. The NWRA is working cooperatively with the bills' sponsors and legislative coordinator. In Connecticut, the personal involvement of the entire windshield repair community, including the smallest to the largest competitors, was crucial to effecting a positive outcome. Now is the time for us to address the bills' content so please get us your comments as soon as possible. Contact Peg at the NWRA (717-985-1501) and become involved.
Delta Kits, Inc.
CGlenn

Post by CGlenn »

If no one can be grandfathered, then who would they considered to be qualified to train others? In other words, if you must train under someoine who is licensed, who would be the initial licensed people? I think everything else is fair, i just think this 6 month period under a licensed person is rediculous. If you have done over 200 repairs, are factory certified, and can pass the test, what is the rationale behind 6 months under someone else?
Delta Kits

Post by Delta Kits »

[quote=""CGlenn""]what is the rationale behind 6 months under someone else?[/quote]

First of all, this isn't the final draft, so it may end up in there, don't know.
Delta Kits, Inc.
mafsu

Post by mafsu »

1. Must be 18 or older

This of course would mean as I've seen several people say they do or plan to do. Your teenager cannot work for you in the summer. They are however responsible enough to prepare the food your family eats at McDonalds.

2. 8th grade education or higher

No Bearing on being able to perform a quality repair. Just look at the mechanical geniuses who have built the engines for NASCAR for the past 50 years if you need an example of this.

3. PAY

Of course you have to pay. This is the whole point.

4. Pass an examination

Possibly fair, however unecessary when you consider items 2 and 5. I'm also sure the examination will have to be paid for.

5. Take and pass a manufacturers certification program

Gets the WSR manufacturers to pay so they can be one of the accepted companies.

6. Complete at least 200 repairs

Again maybe fair, but again unnecessary when item 5 is considered.

7. Oh yea, and also be a trainee under a licensed repair tech for no less than six months

This one may not be a bad idea. But who's gonna train their future competition for six months.

:eusa_wall :eusa_wall :eusa_wall
mafsu

Post by mafsu »

Just in case anyone is interested:

The Honorable Ken Armbrister
P.O. Box 12068
Capitol Station
Austin, Texas 78711
(512) 463-0118
(512) 475-3736 (Fax)
Delta Kits

Post by Delta Kits »

mafsu wrote:7. Oh yea, and also be a trainee under a licensed repair tech for no less than six months

This one may not be a bad idea. But who's gonna train their future competition for six months.
It's definitely the worst idea of the bunch, in my opinion, specifically for the reason you mentioned. No one will want to train their own competition. Plus, assuming someone did, it's pretty much the end of mobile repairs. You would need to have two technicians per job (licensee & trainee), which would kill profit. Who's going to hire someone to just watch over their shoulder?

No one. And I think that's what this bill is about. With no one willing to hire to train their competition, windshield repair immediately goes into the glass shops, and wsr is theirs at that point to eliminate if they choose.
Delta Kits, Inc.
George G.

Post by George G. »

Great! Just when I was starting to get serious and save up for my kit.
Delta Kits

Post by Delta Kits »

George,

Nothing has been decided yet. This is the time when everyone (especially those in Texas) need to be vocal with their senators, and let them know that these rules, as is, are unacceptable.

Also, although there is no grandfather provisions, I cannot imagine that there wouldn't be.
Delta Kits, Inc.
code3wsr

Post by code3wsr »

I for one will be writing and calling Mr Armbrister and others at the capitol. I would urge all of you do do the same. Mind you, I not against a set of standards or licensing as long as it is done fairly and without undue hardship on those of us already working.