janvil or gweld???

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
bill4117

janvil or gweld???

Post by bill4117 »

just wondering who uses what for scratch removal. there is a huge difference in price but is there really a $1,200 difference in job quality between janvil and gweld?? would like to remove sratches and rub marks from industrial tempered store fronts.any help would be appreciated.
GlasWeldTech
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: janvil or gweld???

Post by GlasWeldTech »

I use the glas weld system and can respond for it. It does work. It does take time compared to wsr. It is not a quick dollar. I charge by the hour and it takes lots of upper body strength. Usually if you can catch your fingernail in a scratch it will not come completely out. As far as the janvil system are you sure you are comparing apples to apples? I think they are Completely different systems.
GFD77

Post by GFD77 »

I was looking into janvil myself since some of my customers have been asking me about scratch removal, and they do offer a scratch removal system for small business owners, be aware that they offer different systems for different materials, plastic, tempered glass, and windshields.

:eusa_shif
maxryde

Post by maxryde »

I was expecting to receive the Janvil system today but the folks at UPS didn't get it done so I hope to see it tomorrow. I have done some polishing and a good polisher is first on the order of business. Speed is not as critical as is control I currently use a cerium oxide solution with a 7" polishing disc at around 1000 rpm or so. Removing mineral deposits (acid rain) type of issues takes a fair amount of polishing and we charge by the hour for the service. Our customers are happy with what we do there I was hoping the Janvil system will be helpful for the more stubborn deposits and or scratches. I know the folks at Janvil are members here on the forum and very helpfull so why don't you just PM them and decide if what they have will fill your needs? Oh and from what I have read here on the forum folks who have purchased the GW system were not happy with what they recieved as far as dollar for dollar so I would do some research prior to committing to a purchase. Scott
My best mentor one said " be fair with your priceing but never too low, be honest with your customer/competition, when the day is done be sure you have done "good works", and always leave something of value on the barganing table!!

While my friend and trainer/ mentor Ray has moved on, his words live.
GlasWeldTech

Post by GlasWeldTech »

I didn't say I was unhappy with my chosen system at all. On the contrary it works well for what it was designed to do. Also I have the roughing kit where a client would rather see distorted glass rather than vulgar etchings. As far as acid rain it works really quick. I did do 10 pieces of glass in a Denali XL that was covered with severe acid rain. He bought it at an auction on the gulf coast and it was raining and he assumed it was just water on the glass. When it got here I had to roll alll the windows down just to feel safe driving to the shop. My price $900.00 for all 10 pieces of glass. He was happy to pay this and it took roughly 7 hours. A lot of this time was masking off the vehicle with plastic. Do I push this service? Not really. Why? I have 5 injectors and let's say for glass polishing I charge my $75.00 an hour. How much could I make with 5 injectors doing glass repair even at a dealership? And lots less work. Polishing has it place and for what I charge for 2 hours labor most windshields can be replaced. I have turned down many jobs doing commercial buildings for contractors. The last had told me it was going to cost him over $30,000.00 to replace scratched glass from cleanup and painters. Maybe I should have taken him up on this job but I didn't want to lose our bread and butter by takeing a couple weeks off to do a job out of town and have to rent scaffolding, ladders and such. I do know of some people using the gw system that do only commercial and building glass.Hope this helps clear the air some.
sunshine wr

Post by sunshine wr »

I too use the GW polish system I have 2 and I'm satisfied with the results, but like GWT I have 4 injectors so I'm not out hunting-up polish jobs. Just use them when I need to. They can be account getters and savers.
bill4117

Post by bill4117 »

the reason i ask is because im limited with how i can use my injectors right now (damned no compete agreements) :mad: i have some good leads on industrial tempered glass for scratch removal. these are about 14 foot high and 6 foot wide 1 inch thick tempered with the typical scratch by a diamond ring inadvertantly swiped across. has anyone attempted this type of repair???
northidahotim

Post by northidahotim »

No compete agreements? Could you elaborate please.
GlasWeldTech

Post by GlasWeldTech »

Bill4117,
There is definitely a market for scratch removal in construction. I do get some calls for it here and I decide on a job to job basis. Is this fair? Probably not. I will do a quick job and pass on the bigger jobs. Why? If you do this you will see. Like I say, I would not like to be on a ladder most of the day removing scratches. On windshields it is not really that bad,, just a lot of masking off the car due to the mess. On my system if you can catch your fingernail on the scratch while dragging your finger across it the scratch isn'y going to come out. I was told I could take my "ROUGHING" kit (more aggesive) and then come back with lots of final polishing with my "SCRATCH" kit and remove this distortion. I haven't tried this and probably will not. Like I say I would rather use my 5 injectors to make my money. You just need to decide your own avenue for this. Each type of glass has it's own cracking point caused by heat from the scratch kit. Remember you have to take time and heat and cool the glass while working a scratch. Get it to hot and it cracks. Go slowly and get a good thermometer or if it is hot to the back of your hand slow down awhile. Hope this helps.
bill4117

Post by bill4117 »

definate help gweld thank you. tim i have a no compete agreement with my present employer wich doesn't allow me to repair or replace auto glass in any area i worked in for the company for a period of one year after i leave. the biggest problem is ive covered an area covering 100 miles in any direction from my house. so i figured glass restoration may be the way to go till my agreement is up.