Resin Question/Skin irratation

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Coachb

Resin Question/Skin irratation

Post by Coachb »

I'm having a problem with a reaction to a long crack repair resin (competitor of Delta) I get a reaction, like hives, where my lips, eyes and hands swell. Just wanted to know if anyone else has a problem with this type of reaction, and knows how to combat it with the exception of totally not using it. I don't have a problem with any of the chip repair resins. Any insight would be helpful. And... I know, I know.. go to the doctor. :eusa_wall
SGT
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Resin Question/Skin irratation

Post by SGT »

It would be totally inapropriate for any of us to soley suspect your condition is from the resin and not an underlying medical condition. With that said people do have reactions to resins.

It is a good possiblity it is from the resin but why chance it. I suggest that you focus on getting answers direct from the source, your resin MFG and then go to the doctor with that knowledge about the resin to be sure.

You only get one pass at this life. If you our having serious reaction to a suspected resins why risk that it could not be something else. Better to be safe than sorry.
Safe Glass Technologies

2012 WRO Gold
2009 WRO Gold
2009 WSRPOTY
2008 WRO Silver
Coachb

Post by Coachb »

Thanks for the advice. I pretty much have it narrowed to the resin, because I only get the reaction after a long crack repair which makes me think it is that particular resin. Your point is well taken, better to be safe than sorry.
Delta Kits

Post by Delta Kits »

What kind of protection are you wearing for your hands?
Delta Kits, Inc.
Coachb

Post by Coachb »

I am using latex gloves, and goggles. I am also washing with anti-bacterial hand cleanser after each repair.
Delta Kits

Post by Delta Kits »

Latex gloves are FAR worse than wearing nothing at all. The resin will go through Latex, and hold it against your skin.

Nitrile gloves are what you want, and those only. I can't stress it enough.
Delta Kits, Inc.
Coachb

Post by Coachb »

Thankyou very much for the advice. I know what to buy today!!
Glassdoc

Post by Glassdoc »

Some known crack resins contain a caustic additive to help the adhesion of the resin to the glass.. These particular resins usually have a very strong odor..There was a few companies that sold a product like "skin guard" or similar that put a protective barrier on your hands to protect the user.. Over time if a tech used these resins, you would notice the skin would peel off in layers from your fingers.. Never got so bad that I needed medical care.. But looked like I worked with some sort of grit or sand as my fingers were very rough..
Daveycrewcut

Post by Daveycrewcut »

everyone should be wearing a barrier creme that will protect your skin for about 4 hrs per application (until your skin cells naturally slough off) For those that have alergic reactions, you should also use gloves and possibly a respirator. Neoprene coated gloves give the best protection. You can find them at hardware or Farm stores that sell harsh chemicals.

Some home remedies include soaking your cracked hands in a bowl of milk.

Also, you can try taking barley green. it can be found at health food stores. Barley green usually comes in powder or tablet form but should only be taken with cold or cool water or juice (not hot)
Glasseye

Post by Glasseye »

As previously mentioned the use of Nitrile gloves is essential to provide adequate skin protection but they have a limited time of use ( usually 10 minutes ). The other consideration is cross contamination. Keep a close eye on what you touch while wearing the gloves and clean any contaminated tools,surfaces etc. thoroughly when you are cleaning up. Have a dedicated ( closed) container to dispose of waste.
Is a customer always right? - No, but they are always the customer.