Preferred tool for popping bullseye

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
ChipRite

Re: Preferred tool for popping bullseye

Post by ChipRite »

Nomad,
Excellent and a nice setup you have to attach to the screen as well! It shows that windscreen repair people are handy and creative as well!
Glass Doctors UK

Post by Glass Doctors UK »

why the hell would you want to pop a bullseye? just scurf it and fill it otherwise you will make an ugly mess surely?
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by GlassStarz »

I agree with gduk never popped one cant imagine a reason to do so. Doing more damage isnt condusive to a clean repair take your time and let you injector do its job
cazador

Post by cazador »

At the end of a crack I will pop a bullseye to stop it.
Have drilled a hole and after filling it , it ran on me nevertheless !!
That's why !
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Sometimes there are breaks such as half moons and horseshoes where the impact point is separated from the break itself. Some times half moons are just about impossible to fill all the way without drilling halfway between the impact and the edge and popping a bullseye.

Cazador has covered long cracks already.

Very small and tight breaks like little crescents can be restructured to be easily filled in a fraction of the time it would normally take. Usually the place where the glass is restructured is not visible after repair because it is so new.

On stars with multiple legs often one will not fill from the impact point. Drilling and tapping off the end of the crack or near the end (or somewhere else) will allow resin to enter.

Drilling a hole near the edge or between lines that won't fill will not make a completely round bullseye. It will make a small crescent under the surface that acts as a small reservoir so the resin can go down and enter the break from the bottom. Drilling just to the inside of a crescent or flies wing makes these into what I call a cats eye. Many times almost instantly fillable. In the case of the half moon, what is being done is to make it into a bullseye. What you can do is make an easy to fill break out of a difficult one.

For those who have good luck not using these methods, well, more power to you. Certainly if it is working for you then don't fix what ain't broke. It's probably better if you can fill without drilling or anything else, and I do this myself. But other times restructuring can make the difference between getting the resin all the way in there and not. At least for me.

I think we should respect other people's methods of doing things, even if they look "not right" to us. I've learned a lot from people that did things in a far different way than I was used to. That's how progress is made and you learn new things.
cazador

Post by cazador »

The other day I walked into WalMart and bought me a set of sewing needles for just $ 0.74 ex . In the package are different seizes and thicknisses , for every drilled hole to pop a bullseye you've got your seize , go for it !
splitpit

Post by splitpit »

Why would you need different sizes? Do you use different diameter drill bits?
If so, why?
cazador

Post by cazador »

The package holds 6 different seizes, but I use only the longest and biggest one from the package which fits the drill hole.
The rest of them you may throw away , give them to your second halve, or whatever.
splitpit

Post by splitpit »

Carpe Windshield Repair to you Cazador!
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I have gotten together enough stuff to make a few of these slide hammers for popping bullseyes. If you would like one contact me off forum.

Thanks

Gene