Ugh! Double Crack out!

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Mr Bill
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Ugh! Double Crack out!

Post by Mr Bill »

Starstruck
I have a UV bubble/dome. I find that the suction cups don't work very well, so I usually just set it it on top of the repair and stand closeby.
What is your secret for keeping it attached to the windshield?
starstruck

Post by starstruck »

No real secret. Make sure the glass & the suction cups are clean. Use a light coating of vaseline on the suction cups if needed to help them seal tighter if needed. Push them back down periodically if needed. If the damage is on the lower half of the windshield I will often use the wiper blade over the lip of the dome to help hold it in place. Sometimes I use a standard sunscreen instead of the dome. Suction cups do get old over time and don't hold as well so replace them if necessary.
maxryde

Post by maxryde »

Just a quick note, vaseline will cause the rubber to deteriorate as it is a petroleum product, use just plain water instead.
My best mentor one said " be fair with your priceing but never too low, be honest with your customer/competition, when the day is done be sure you have done "good works", and always leave something of value on the barganing table!!

While my friend and trainer/ mentor Ray has moved on, his words live.
harrellbenjamin

Post by harrellbenjamin »

starstruck;30534 wrote:A high tech piece of equipment like a TOWEL wouldn't be very useful 90% of the time here unless you also had a couple of high tech bricks to hold it down in the wind (which blows hard about 5 days a week!). A sunscreen or dome with suction cups is not an expensive investment.

Honestly folks, unless you are living somewhere that the wind never blows, you need to get an attachable sunscreen so you don't have to deal with the wind blowing your towel off. I would be extremely disppointed in myself if my own negligence caused me to ruin even a single job. That's like tossing money out your window while driving down the highway!
I use a small nylon bungee cord that has the hooked ends and will snugg a towell around the injector real quick and easy.I work in a pretty windy area at times and this has worked like a champ.I also have the UV shields but sometimes I am doing multiple jobs at once and just needed a good back up idea and this works well.Very easy to peek under to see progress too and easy to store and lugg around the lots .
jayjacque

Post by jayjacque »

harrellbenjamin;30541 wrote:I use a small nylon bungee cord that has the hooked ends and will snugg a towell around the injector real quick and easy.I work in a pretty windy area at times and this has worked like a champ.I also have the UV shields but sometimes I am doing multiple jobs at once and just needed a good back up idea and this works well.Very easy to peek under to see progress too and easy to store and lugg around the lots .
Now you're talking. I like that.
starstruck

Post by starstruck »

That's a good idea hb, especially when doing multi bridge work! Thanks!
jayjacque

Post by jayjacque »

Those suction cups should work fine when lubricated. Even just water as has already been said. I think I purchased a product a while back for it, but wetting the fingertips with saliva works equally well most of the time.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I use hand lotion on suction cups here. Very low humidity dries everything out too fast with just water. It doesn't seem to rot the suction cups either.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

We recently added another suction cup to Delta Kits bubble domes which helped a great deal. We also use a different suction cup than when we first started selling bubble domes and it is one that I have not seen on other brands. The type of suction cup, the placement, and the number of cups all make a difference, but adding the extra cup was the one thing that made the most difference.

You can retrofit older bubble domes with an extra cup, and/or new style cups very easily and very inexpensively. We sell the cups and backing knobs, but I don't think they are on the website yet, so you will need to call for pricing and placement recommendations if you are interested.

I agree that water should be all you need on suction cups. Petroleum jelly works very well but is messy and may reduce the life of some suction cups. Water soluble lubricants work just as well, are far easier to clean up and will not damage the cups.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.