Moisture in headlight

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Turkey

Moisture in headlight

Post by Turkey »

Could someone explain to me if moisture/water droplets on the inside lense is normal. I know air is trapped inside the lense when you change the bulbs so you could get some water vapor from that air but I am not sure what amount is ok. Do a large amount of condensation mean there is a crack somewhere? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Moisture in headlight

Post by GlassStarz »

The thing leaks and will go thru bulbs often. Generaly when the leak they need to be replaced
jac59

Post by jac59 »

I have notice a lot of aftermarket H/L's have a leak most of them are not sealed as good as factory have seen some no more than a month old and water on the inside.
As that said factory H/L's will leak as it ages or when replacing bulb's that dont have a tight seal.
GTECH

Post by GTECH »

Moisture in headlights can be repaired ,I have come to find a technique to remove all the moisture in the headlight, check for cracks, and leaks,and reseal the headlight. the market for this is huge, I charge from 75.00 up to 40 % of the replacement cost to repair this type of damage.
engineer

Post by engineer »

I have been curious about moisture removal as well. Could you share with us your technique?
WRGuy

Post by WRGuy »

GTECH

could you provide any information on your moisture extraction process or steer me in the right direction locate info?

Thanx
Delta Kits Trained & Certified
NWRA Certified
WRGuy

Moisture extraction - sealing

Post by WRGuy »

Anyone had any experience getting rid of the moisture in leaking headlights and good method of resealing?
Delta Kits Trained & Certified
NWRA Certified
Hawaii Guy

Post by Hawaii Guy »

Most effective way I have found to remove the moisture from a headlight is to remove the bulb from the rear of the headlight and use a hair dryer to dry it out. If it's behind a battery it is more difficult but just use a funnel with a flexible tube (like for transmission fluid). Okay, it's dry now and only took 10 minutes so try to figure out why it had moisture in the first place. I just did one on an old Ford (not as old as Brent), it did not have the ring that connects the collar and bulb to the housing, so that was where the moisture was coming from. In this case the owner had the choice of duct tape or silicone (he wanted tape) and would get the plastic ring replaced later. Silicone would have made bulb replacement more difficult in the future. I did not charge extra for my time and even though this whole process took nearly as long as the restoration I feel I made an impression on the customer that will come back 10 fold. Just like the headlights that took me 4 hours and 20 minutes to complete.
Deacon

Post by Deacon »

Hawaii Guy:
Why on earth would a set of headlights take 4 hours 20 minutes?
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

...and about that "not as old as Brent" crack...if I didn't think I might need a place to stay in Kihei sometime I'd ban you for that! ;)
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.