Chip Tech Banding Together

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Coitster
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Coitster »

Hello everyone,
I wanted to propose an idea to you all. I am sure many of you have been reading about the Safelite/Diamond Triumph Lawsuit and also what is in store for the chip business. I personally love the chip business and I enjoy working on my own, however I think it is time for all of us chip company owners to start working together. I personally don't think this would be a conflict of interest because, lets face it guys. There is so much business in this field we could never, ever possibly get all the chips out there fixed.

What I would like to propose and see happen is that all the people who have been doing chips for a long time and that have been successful at it start helping the new people along and also giving ideas to each other to other old timers about how we market our services. I want to see a really unified group of entrepreneurs that want to work together to enhance our business and that also band together to start getting more business and doing it the simplest way possible. The task is not easy, however I am sure we can all help each other. We have to do something to unify against the powers that be (AKA networks & ins. co's).

One of the major problems that I have seen is in business in general, its a common rule not to share with other people what you are doing for fear of losing business to them. I personally don't subscribe to this belief because I am always a believer that if you help other people out it will come back to you many times over. Lets address some of the problems that face our industry.

#1 Training: I know this is a big one, most guys who get in this industry happened to respond to an ad out of a classified or a magazine saying you can make 90K a year fixing chips and all you need to do is get our kit and a video and you too can be making a ton of money. Well first of all 98% of all people that get involved in this business are right back out of it within 4 months because they suck at fixing chips. Yea fixing them is easy but you have to get some type of mentoring or training to make you worth anything. I know that every day I am in the field I see some horrible repairs that if someone had only taken a few extra minutes to work on would have made all the difference out there.

#2 Marketing: This is a major, major problem in our industry. There are a lot of people out there who don't even know that windshield repair is possible or they are told by a bait and switch company that they have to replace the windshield. We all know this is bogus. Also its getting your business going. Most people that get in this business are told to go get a bunch of dealership and fleet accounts. I like doing fleets but dealerships.... WOW is that a nightmare waiting to happen. There are other ways to get business than to have to mess with dealers. I personally would like to see us get together and share marketing ideas to put together a marketing package for us and new people.

#3 Possibly get a chat room put in because it is needed. Message boards like this are great and I love them. However have you ever wanted to talk to someone right then or bounce idea's back and forth. I have seen a few chip sites that have chat rooms personally I avoid them because all they do is tout their business. The reason I like Delta Kits and this forum is because I have never seen Delta Kits delete a posting even if it was a positive post about another product. Unlike other sites that just trash everyone but themselves.

In closing for this message I would like to say that I personally am more than willing to share my idea's or experience with others as long as it is reciprocal. I don't think there needs to be animosity between chip techs and tons of secrets. We need to help our industry. Some of you may think I am totally off base here but hey if you think so please write back and let me know. I am not afraid of a little criticism. Please let me know what you all think.
David
Coitster
Repair1

EDI transaction--$7.50 versus

Post by Repair1 »

Wonderful idea I was just sitting here thinking the same thing, Dave I have been in this business a long time 24 years repaired my first windshield in 1979 wow I'm getting to be an old timer :roll: I had a full blown glass shop for a few years sold it.. worked for them for a few years then started this Repair Only Co. a couple years ago and love it.. I would love to help support do whatever I can do to help this industry I think if we all work together it can do nothing but make us all stronger lets get something rolling let me know what I can do to help feel free to call me at 801-273-8080 or e-mail me at brian@csgrepair.com

Happy Repairing

Brian
desertstars

Post by desertstars »

You are not only NOT "off base", you hit a home run.

First. I've been in this business for 16 years and my first fleet account was Waste Management. Many large ones after that including the entire 500 vehicle fleet of one of our adjoining cities. Fleet accounts can be good; some fleet accounts can be bad. Watch the receivables or you could be looking at 90 days plus an eventual bankruptcy leaving you holding the bag of unpaid invoices. Anyone wishing advice on "fleet accounts" should start a separate topic. I'll insert my two cents worth and learn from others who insert their's.

Second. I wouldn't touch a new or used car dealer with a ten-foot vaccinated crowbar with few exceptions. At least in my area. They have as much loyalty to you as your ex-wife's pet poodle even though you might also have fed and walked that flea-brained ankle-biter most of the time. OK. OK. I know there are some who disagree. I said "my area".

Third. Sharing ideas in this forum is not the same as sharing a pitcher of beer with your cross-town competitor and spilling your guts or your merchandizing secret bombshell because you had one too many and then kicking yourself in a truck-driver's sized butt the next day.

Fourth. Delta has, in fact, provided the best w/s forum I've found. Amazingly, it beats hands down even the NWRA forum by a long shot and I commend Delta for their caring dedication to our profession. And, to those of us who know the complexities of performing decent repairs, this IS a profession.

My only point of contention is in regard to the chat room. Too often conversations turn into flaming arguments and personal animosity. But, I also realize that many find it easier to communicate that way. Whatever works.

Most of the time, it's better served to give some serious thought to what we want to say than to shoot from the shoulder.

Other than that, you are on the right track. Keep it going and let's see who is committed to the repair industry and who prefers to sit back and watch and wait.

Watchers and waiters will always end up sucking hind tit assuming there are any left.
Coitster

EDI

Post by Coitster »

Well guys,
We may of hit on something here. Many people working together comeing up with idea's would be an awsome thing.
David
Coitster
Glass
WIN-1

Banding together

Post by WIN-1 »

Hi Guys
David definatelyputs his money where his mouth is. He spent 2 days training me when I know for a fact he would have enjoyed spending the time with his beautiful wife & children!
My repairs improved exponentially! He's a smart guy with excellent business ethics, a ton of experience and business acumen.
He doesn't worry about redirection from Safelite, but how is Lynx able to pop us for $7.50?
Now if I could just get all the start-up business details ironed out, I'd be repairing chips today!

ChipAway WR
Ken
Ralph

THANKS

Post by Ralph »

Hey Guys! My name is Ralph. I just recieved my first Delta kit in July. I have never repaired windshields before but I thought I'd give it my best. I started my new career after being persueded by my best friend. He does interoir restorations on cars. He helped me get my first client...A large rental agency. I repair the vehicles that are going back to thier manufacturers or off to auctions. I don't get paid big bucks but I thought this would give me an opportunity to learn while I earn kind of thing. I even have to gaurantee my repairs will pass the tough inspections or I don't get paid for my work or materials. I know you guys are probably thinking I'm nuts but it's a learning experience and it pushes me to do the best jobs possible. It's been alot of leg work getting things organised enough to start the business ( I'm sure everybody knows the extent and startup costs). A little crazy at first but things are starting to fall into place...My confidance for one... :lol:
My only regret so far would be not taking the time out to visit this message board and talking with the people that have been down this road before.
I wanted to thank all of you for your input. Mr. David Coitster, I ecspecially enjoyed your letter. I too believe in helping people. I believe in the old saying's..."Treat people the way you expect them to treat you", "What comes around goes around" I've only heard this saying when somebody has wronged a person but I believe it holds true when you help people.
I would like to ask "Alot" of questions regarding every aspect of windshield repair and running a business but I should first continue to read the forum.
I made up a pretty decent invoice for billing my repairs to the rental agency. I did it in excel and brought it to a printing shop to have the invoices made up in duplicate form. If anybody would like me to send the format I would be more then happy to share it. If anybody could send me an invoice you use for private customers I could certainly use it. Thanks for all the great tips and advice. I look forward to learning more from all as well as sharing any information to help! I am confussed about one thing. Billing insurance companies or getting authorization. I've heard A.C.T. processes claims but it seems expensive and I really didn't care for the way their contract read...It almost sounded like they wanted to have access to your bank account to make direct deposits as well as withdraws...any info would be appreciated and welcomed! :)
Coitster

Post by Coitster »

Hey Ralph,
Thanks for the impute, btw coitster is my nickname, anyway about billing insurance companies, I personaly do all of that myself. When I was refering to ACT! 2000 that is a contact management software program, not to be confused with ACT! that some of the glass repair manufactures use to EDI bills to the insurance companies. First of they charge you 15 bucks per invoice and if you own your own fax machine you can bill yourself and only pay 7.50 by lynx, you used to have to pay 3.50 for safelite but now you can goto their web site after you have gotten approval for a customer and input it right over their web page saving you the 3.50.

I presonaly belive ACT! (billing software) is worthless, some might dissagree but it is only a way for companies to make a residual based income because people think billing the insurance companies is so diffecult. It's actualy easyer then the repair itself. If you have any questions about it please feel free to E-Mail me.

As for additional questions please don't hesitate to make new postings, from what I am learning is that their are a lot of people including myself who am more then happy to help out by giving you information. Don't worry about asking to many questions. I personaly would like to see 5 times as many postings on this board. Remember information is power.
And we can all help each other, 2 brains are better then one, 5 brains, 10 ect... you get my drift. Anyway look foward to talking to you.
David Coit
Coitster
Glass
john

long cracks

Post by john »

i think you hit right on the money. i believet there is more than enough work out there any way to not have to worry about cutting anybody out . it would only benefit everbody concerned to help each other and look forward to bouncing new ideas off all of you good people. you are all so very helpful and keep up the good work.
sincerely
john
mepoozer

Post by mepoozer »

Hey there- Where can I sign up? LOL... I think this is an excellent idea and I would be happy to help in any way I can even though I'm new to repair. I love the idea of helping each other-my Mom always said "What comes around goes around" and probably you guys could help me more than I could help anyone at the point I'm at, but I will get to a point where I can help others also....I will follow up on this- It's exciting!!! Thank You, Karen
Coitster

Post by Coitster »

Hey Karen,
Welcome to the team. Basicly it doesn't matter whether you are new or have been in this business for a long time or are brand new to it. It's allways better to have lots of people working together bouncing idea's back and forth then to try to go it alone. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. Look foward to talking to you.
David Coit
Coitster
Glass