Am I missing the forest because of the trees?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
desertstars

Post by desertstars »

It seems to me that it would be much easier for manufacturers and/or suppliers of windshield repair equipment to form an organization to counter-act and defeat the present glaringly unfair insurance network system than it would be for ten thousand, unorganized individual techs around the country to kick butt and take names while attempting to effect changes.

After all is said and done, if we can chop windshield replacements by 50% or more, and we damned well could, that is a win/win situation for everyone except the two major networks whose primary business involves glue-ins.

It's time that the suppliers in this business get off their duffs and do something positive to eradicate the present networks and demand that the insurance industry appoint objective and non-involved companies to distribute repair leads.

I know of two w/s repair suppliers who monitor this forum on a daily basis.

I suggest to them they contact Delta immediately and start a dialogue toward resolving the two major issues that affect our profession instead of simply lurking in the background.

The issue of networks; the issue of incompetent repair "technicians".

I leave it to the replacement companies to resolve their own problems concerning replacement "technicians".
Coitster
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Coitster »

Well Jim (Desert),
Thats a good question. While I personaly think that they should get together I am not sure that will happen. Most replair manufactuers don't really care what happens to the people who buy their equipment. A lot of them are still stuck in the days before insurance companies paided for chip repair when all of the business came from dealerships, fleets and just plain cash. :cry:

So I guess we should ask ourselves what is the best way to fix the problem? Realisticly of course. We all know that the networks aren't going to go away, even though they seam to control the industry. What is the best solution???? I personaly don't know the answer short of a industry wide revolt...... that also makes me wonder is it worth it? Again I don't know.
David
Coitster
Glass
desertstars

Post by desertstars »

No doubt that networks are here to stay, David. The concept per se does have a good deal of merit.

Even though the insurance companies are paying more for a repair, they've swept away a lot of human resource problems.

As I see it, we have three choices:

A) Lay down and die;

B) Accept the present two major networks while insisting the insurance companies put in place a truly rotational job-dispersal system;

C) Push for a new network(s) with no ties to the w/s industry.

The first doesn't require any effort on our part.

The second won't happen because the only reason the two majors are shuffling invoices is that it enables them to deal from the bottom of the deck.

The third will require that our profession get it's act together and become proactive.

As Popeye would say: "Aye, and there's the rub! Gimmee my spinach and I'll take care of Bluto!"
Coitster

bronze

Post by Coitster »

I do like the 3rd option you give. A network that has no ties to the glass industry is great. Just simply a processing and scheduling company would be great.
Glass
ChipDoctor

Building a retail business

Post by ChipDoctor »

I
Coitster

Post by Coitster »

Mike,
You have some valid points in your message, however where I disagree with you is this. What does someone get for joining the NWRA... Personaly I don't see nothing. You pay them something like $300 bucks to be a member and get to have a sticker. Their certification program is very, very outdated. How have they helped us with the network?? I don't think at all. Why in the world would any glass company want to have a competitor, I won't name any names ::Coughs::: SAFELITE. That is in charge of distributing calls in from insurance customers. I personaly am a member of safelite, because really I have no other choice if I don't want business steered.

Now everyone knows that steering is illegal but it does happen. As a member of the network for a few years, I have yet to have them send me even 1 job by being on the network. And I don't see the NWRA doing anything about the bait and switch tactics that the networks are guilty of using. Also if you stop and look at who is in charge of the NWRA, I may be wrong but all I see is repair manufacturers on the boards. They don't make any money by doing repairs they make their money buy selling windshield repair equipment. Of course they are going to be on the boards because it supposedly gives them credibility in selling their equipment to people like us. I personaly think that the NWRA is an impotent organization. They also charge way to much to be a member with no legitamite gains. Now I could be wrong on this but I don't think so. If I am then hey, it wouldn't be the first time. Ssshhhh don't tell my wife that I might be wrong every now and then. :::Hids link to this page from wife::: LOL
David
Coitster
Glass
desertstars

Post by desertstars »

David.

Damn, I couldn't have answered the questions posed any better than that and I'm glad I didn't need to answer before you did because you summed it up in one fell swoop.

The NWRA IS impotent and I haven't yet seen any reason to join. I remember when they first organized. I had high hopes then but can see nothing of any importance that would cause me to consider joining yet.

There were a couple of valid points in the original message that you replied to.

If and when that organization can convince me that they will address with bull horns the issues of incestuous networks and technician certification, I'll reconsider.

Even then, only if they lower their membership fees to @25 bucks.
desertstars

Post by desertstars »

ChipDoctor.

That was a well-constructed post repartee to mine with some valid points.

Thanks for your insight.

Out of curiosity, since I am not a member, I'm interested in why you joined initially and what benefits you have derived so far from that membership?

I'm far from interested in re-inventing the wheel.

I just don't want to invest in a flat tire.
ChipDoctor

Post by ChipDoctor »

Coitster

Post by Coitster »

Thanks for the reply Mike,
You bring up some good points. Let me ask you a question, you mentioned that you charge $69.95 for a repair and that you leave it up to the customers to be reinbursed by the insurance company. How do you market that?? You sure have my attention. Do you tell the customer that the insurance will reinburse them?? Do you ever loose jobs because of it, how do you go about getting business. Thanks
David
Coitster
Glass