Starting Up Now?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
gph66

Starting Up Now?

Post by gph66 »

I'm thinking about starting up with WSR. Dealer work is probably going to slim right now, so what markets would be open to possibilities? Should I even consider trying to start up now? Need any help I can get on this.
Frank EU
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Starting Up Now?

Post by Frank EU »

Welcome gph66. The strongest fish swim upstream. You could be that strong fish, I don't know. It depends on many different things. If you have the money at hand, are prepared to invest time and energy and do not need the money instantly, you may as well go for it. In my opinion there is not such a thing as a good or bad time to start your own WSR business. BTW; may I suggest that you fill out your profile? Doing so may lead to more replies on the forum.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I think that with the current economic condition and gloomy forecast, that repair people of all stripes will be in demand. People that are in financial distress will more likely be wanting to get things repaired in order to save money. I think we are headed for a lengthy period of recession and financial hardship for a lot of people. I don't think WSR will be affected nearly as much as other kinds of businesses.
PortMerc

Post by PortMerc »

gph66- I'm in the same boat. I work at a dealership and am trying to start up my own WSR business in the next two months.
You're in the right place. Delta has been really supportive for me so far. I went through the training and recommend doing that first. It's cheap and easy.
I do WSR in house for my dealership and it has been a great way to practice while getting paid. I'd recommend trying to go that route.
I think it's a great business to start up in right now during this economy. You can pick your own hours and start at your own pace. Also, with so many more people being conscience about their wallets more people are opting for repair than replacement. Most repairs are paid for by insurance without a deductible. Good luck.
gph66

Post by gph66 »

Thanks for all the input so far. What are some proven ways to approach insurance agents and fleet accounts? Should I have a set price ready to give them, or wait and try to find out what they are paying before stating mine? I know price isn't everything, and I'll need to do quality work as well. That said, any non-biased advice on choosing my repair kit? I've narrowed it down to Delta and Glass Technology. I know this forum is Delta driven, and I would say Delta is my #1 choice right now, but Glass Technology has also been very helpful. Their dry vacum process is appealing, and they are in Colorado also which puts them in driving distance for me to get training.
screenman

Post by screenman »

I really do struggle to get my head around this dry vacuum rubbish, it is definately not required to do quality repairs. When someone out there can prove any advantage what so ever these over complicated bit of kit offer I will listen. Go Delta you only and you will never be sorry.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Apologies for jumping in quick without reading question properly. Dealer work should only ever be a small part of your customer base for reasons like we are seeing now. Broaden your customer base, stand on a street corner with apen and paper for 1 hour, take a note of the vehicles going past, that should be your customer base. Trucks with names on, buses with names on go and find them, get a tent and go and stand in a carpark, get signed up with insurers or whatever you do over there. Now should you do it or not, I would say no if you were after the same market as me. But in reality if you can sell, sell, sell, and financialy support yourself then I would say now is no worse a time to get into our business than any other.

I feel done properly WSR is recession proof, I have been through 2 with it and it has not let me down.
Dave M

Post by Dave M »

Screenman,

Wow! Dry vacuum rubbish......over complicated bit of kit! You've mentioned using systems in the past that use air pressure to inject the resin ( you do not like them), but since dry vacuum has only been around for, maybe 4-5 years, have you tried it?
I can only assume that many techs are using dry vacuum, using whatever manufacturer they chose, including myself. I find the injector from GT that uses dry vacuum to be very easy, quick and simple to use. It also produces quality repairs. I don't think it's rubbish or complicated to use.
gph66

Post by gph66 »

Thanks to screenman and Dave M for responses. I know that every tech is going to have their prefered kit or system, and I'm just trying to do my homework so I can make a decision on a system that best suits me. Dave M, how long have you used GT? Anything else you can tell me about their system, good or bad, would be appreciated.
Dave M

Post by Dave M »

gph66,
I have used GT equip. and resins for 15 years. I use the VP-5000 which has been replaced by the Maxim. I have never used a screw or plunger type injector. I like the VP because you can regulate exactly how much pressure or vacuum is used. It contains a 12 volt battery to power the curing light and drills if needed. I change my battery every year to year and half (locally/less expensive). I use the prism injector. The VP is about 15 lbs. and gives you another piece of equip. to carry.
At my age (53), it's getting a little harder to carry around. This is why I am in the market for a new injector, either the GT spectrum or the Delta B300.