Bill Customer or Insurance company...?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Dave M
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Bill Customer or Insurance company...?

Post by Dave M »

What I hope for by adding this one statement, is the customers realization of my guarantee being voided. I would hope that he or she would call me prior to calling the insurance company.
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

I tell the customer to call me if they have any problems at all.Most customers do not gain anything from calling the insurance company and telling them that the w/s cracked.Most people have atleast a 250.00 so what good is the insurance to them at that point.This should only happen every blue moon anyway if you are doing good repairs.We all know that the public can be a pain in the but sometimes.They expect a miracle and you should always prepare them for the worst case scenerio.So when it comes out perfect you look like a magician.It is all about YOU explaining what you are doing and what the outcome will be.
Dave M

Post by Dave M »

But than you could get a customer that will get a crack and assume it is from the repaired area, and is on the other side of the windshield...
Brennan29

Post by Brennan29 »

Heres are two things id like to add to this topic that might help you all out, it has worked for me. A few years ago I had a costumer that own a fairly new Lexus , he was a wealthy guy with a nice car and had no patience for things not going exactlly the way he wants them, basicly a real A-hole. Anyway the damage to his windshield were two very small bullseyes above and out of the way of the drivers veiw. Well I did the job and like most small bullseyes do, it came out perfect! I rang the doorbell and the guy came out to look at it. Of course he didnt think it was perfect and he told me that he could still see it.. Well yeah.. I told you you'd be able to see it before I even started.. Rememmber..? He told he as he started to walk away Im just going to have the windsheild replaced.
This is what I said... Well sir you can definately do that but rememmber two things.. One, you'll be giving up the factory seal, witch can never be duplicated buy a human hand and most likly all the insuance co. will pay for is an after market windsheild witch wont fit like the original and can invite all kinds of new problems. And two.. Take into consideration, You could have a brand new(after market) windsheild put into tomorrow and on the way home from the shop ANOTHER rock can hit you're windshield and you'll be right back to where we are now.. This got his attention and of course he didnt care for it ,but he did start talking to me as if I was a human being and I did convince him that replaceing the windsheild would be a bad idea, and as far as I know he never did.

Hope this helps guys.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

Maybe it my being a big guy but i havnt had to deal with the guy who talks down to me as far as the rejected claim I had one charge back called the customer he had it replaced after another break in direct view of the driver i called the insurance company and complained they refunded me really not a big problem
Brennan29

Post by Brennan29 »

Im 6'3" and over 200lbs.. So I dont think my size (or lack of) had anything to do with it. This whole thing happened when I worked for a company and I got paid for the job and my time anyway. I was just trying to offer some good advice that worked well for me.
Rsenest

Post by Rsenest »

I'm only 5'4" and even my kids talk down to me.... :lol: (since they are all taller then me)! I assume that most customers don't balk if you collect from them and they deal with getting reimbursed from their insurance company? Wouldn't this eliminate the "charge-back" issue? I'm thinking that if the networks are not going to refer you the business, then why not let the customer deal with their insurance company...
Dave M

Post by Dave M »

Brennan29,
You're an ex-Repair Medic correct? Now that you're not working for Safelite, you should know that insured can and do request OEM windshields that insurance will cover.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

LOL you dont beat those kids nearly enough :lol:
Brennan29

Post by Brennan29 »

Dave M, Yes I was a Safelite repair medic. I do relize that a customer can request a OEM windsheild but in my experience most dont even think about it. Then theres some that only think about it once the part is allready installed in the car. I have also heard of insurance companies putting up a stink about paying for a OEM windsheild because of the price diferance. So all and all I do know that a customer can request it and most likely the insurance co will pay for it but it still helps your case when your trying to sell and run a repair operation, and does hold some ground..