Bill Customer or Insurance company...?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Rsenest

Bill Customer or Insurance company...?

Post by Rsenest »

I have noticed that some guys get the payment from the customer and the customer turns the bill in to their insurance and some guys go through the insurance company or network. Which is better for the tech and which is better for the customer...? And, do you get any flack from the customer when you tell them they have them deal with their insurance company?
Frank EU
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Bill Customer or Insurance company...?

Post by Frank EU »

To put things short;
-you dealing direct with the insurance company means no hassle for the customer,
-you dealing direct with the customer is no hassle to you.
Both have advantages and disadvantages. In the US we mainly deal with the customer direct. In the EU we deal mainly with the insurance company.
It is entirely up to you what you are going to do.
Rsenest

Post by Rsenest »

What do most of the WSR technicians do? Is it necessary to get set up to deal with the insurance companies?
SGT

Post by SGT »

Personally I used to direct bill to the insurance company. My thought was I will be damned if I am letting someone else(networks) run my business. Well let me tell you it does work but there is a big trade off to getting your retail fee called AGGRAVATION and I was only at a small level. Just to much work to stay on top of the billing.

Since then I have elected to agree to the networks offer and acceptance terms. It allows me to offer my customers another option to fix there damage and does not require nearly as much of my time that I can spend focusing on other things. Sure dealing with the networks has its bumps in the road but it is part of the game. That being said, I always try to sell cash jobs first which could be immediate payment to me wether they never send the invoice in or they do. You may find that after speaking with customers you may even be able to turn insurance work into a cash job. Some customers never had a clue about the clue report and for the small repair dollar ammount figure it is not worth the insurance submission.

The more options you can offer a customer, the better your odds of keeping that customer is.
Safe Glass Technologies

2012 WRO Gold
2009 WRO Gold
2009 WSRPOTY
2008 WRO Silver
Layne

Post by Layne »

One of the more aggravating aspects of the network system is when a customer (months later) opts for a windshield replacement. You are charged with the original repair cost without any specifics of the problem. Did they have a failed repair? Did they eventually decide to get the windshield replaced after a succesful repair? Or did the get another chip with greater damage requiring replacement? Our efforts are wasted, we suffer the loss. But you can bet that the networks still get their money! This is where the system needs improvimg for our benefit.
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

Layne,I agree with you about the charge back.I have had 2 in 4years.One I seen coming because the area was about the size of a 50cent pc and was in the drivers view(couldnt really blame them).I had one a couple of months ago and I have no clue what happened.This was a typical set of bat wings and It looked good when I left but sure enough I got a charged back.I know the networks can be a pain but they are worth it.I dont try to sale the customer a cash job first because I would rather them not have to pay if they dont have to.I know that you have some people who are paranoid and think it will raise their insurance premiums but when I see that coming I will then sale the cash job.
Rsenest

Post by Rsenest »

So the insurance company can just charge you back without even giving you the opportunity to view the "problem" and/or provide a possible solution...? This dosen't seem fair...
Layne

Post by Layne »

Yep. They only send you a notice that your account will be debited.
Dave M

Post by Dave M »

This happened to me about 2 years ago with an insured through SGC. Customer said the windshield cracked from where I had repaired, called his ins. company and had the w/s replaced without anyone notifying me. I complained to SGC about their policy, but fell upon deaf ears. I have since added this to the end of my guarantee, "I must inspect the windshield prior to replacement or guarantee is void."
Chips be-gone

Post by Chips be-gone »

Dave
You can add anything you want to your invoice, But the network will over anything they want. You work for them if it is a network job....

You would wish you could inspect the so called failed job so you can fight it out or make good.