Insurance question

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
boyd

Post by boyd »

Delta guys, what if ... For the past 8 years I have carried the 500k insurance that insurance co.'s want us to have. However, now I have decided to let it go and not get any. Probably bad idea on my part but ...

Here's the question..... if I do a job for someone and they decide to take my receipt and get reimburced (which I usually reccommend, after the job) for the $ they gave me, will the insu. co or
referral programs pay them back if I'm not on their list? I've been getting letters from safelite and lynx saying my ins. has expired and they will be taking me off of their list.

Thanks BOYD
desertstars

Insurance question

Post by desertstars »

That's more of a complicated question than it appears at first reading, Boyd.

Before the days of networks, State Farm required that the policy holder bring the vehicle into the agent to verify the damage. He would then give the shop the go-ahead. You could then either collect from the customer or direct-bill the insurance company.

Almost all of the other companies just told the shop to do the job and send the bill to them. In either case, there was prior permission to perform the repair.

So, the question remains...does the insurance company have a right to deny payment if they have NOT given the go-ahead? I suspect they very well might have that right.

Just to be on the safe side, I ALWAYS call the agent, check the coverage, and then ask whether they need to verify the damage.

Even so, ordinarily the agent is not going to refuse payment to a valued customer over a $60 repair bill.

If you intend to bypass the network, (obviously you do), this is where it gets hairy.

Prior extensive posts can give you some good info regarding that procedure.

If you are a present member of a network(s), I believe that you are contractually bound to run your invoices through that network(s) regardless of whether it is a referal or self-generated business in any case where the network has a contract with the insurance company.

Hope this helps and a hearty welcome to the ranks of the PMDBA. (Purely Mythical Direct Billing Association)