MONEY AND TIME SAVING TIPS

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Deacon

MONEY AND TIME SAVING TIPS

Post by Deacon »

Hi Guys, just wanted to pass along a supply and time saving tip. To save on masking tape and time, go to a fabric store or perhaps Walmart and buy about a yard of clear vinyl. I don't know what the thickness of mine is in mils but it's probably about 1/32 in. thick. Thick, strong stuff. Cost me about 4 bucks. Divide this into sections that are about 2 ft. by 1 ft. or whatever your preference is. These pieces of vinyl will slide right up under and partly around most headlights and can be encouraged with a non-metal putty knife or similar tool. Does a much better job of protecting the finish, saves on tape, and is a whole lot faster than taping around the whole h/l. And they can be used over and over. Works great for me.
If anyone else has any time or money saving tips, how about passing them along. God Bless.
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: MONEY AND TIME SAVING TIPS

Post by t4k »

Good idea. I've been using clear plastic sheets like you would use for an overhead projector presentation. I like your idea better! :D
patriotwsr

Post by patriotwsr »

Works like a champ for under $10. I made 6 sheets 12 inches by 20 inches.
t4k

Post by t4k »

I am still trying to find this material. I have seen some very thin sheets but nothing you guys are talking about.
Roo

Post by Roo »

My Walmart doesn't have a fabric department so I just bought the clear non adhesive shelve liner. I haven't tried it out yet but it looks like it will work great. I will post my results as soon as I use it and will probably get some pics of it in use too.
t4k

Post by t4k »

Roo wrote:My Walmart doesn't have a fabric department so I just bought the clear non adhesive shelve liner. I haven't tried it out yet but it looks like it will work great. I will post my results as soon as I use it and will probably get some pics of it in use too.

Very nice Roo, you are a gentleman and a scholar.
Roo

Post by Roo »

Here is a pic of the clear non adhesive shelf liner in action. Works great and will hold up to the sander hitting it better than tape does.
Attachments
shelf liner.jpg
shelf liner.jpg (90.6 KiB) Viewed 230 times
candyman
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by candyman »

Thanks for the info. I also picked up a non skid roll of shelf paper that feels like rubber. I will test it this week and post the results. I have polished two HL's that seemed like a film lifted up from the bumper when I pulled the tape off. The bumpers surface were rubber or similar material, with a fading and chipping appearance. I am using the same blue tape thats in the photo that is posted. I try not to over wet the lens when I wipe down after sanding. Candyman
t4k

Post by t4k »

Roo wrote:Here is a pic of the clear non adhesive shelf liner in action. Works great and will hold up to the sander hitting it better than tape does.

Very nice Roo....thank you!!
candyman
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by candyman »

I tried the shelf paper on a Ford Taurus: Did't work too well due to shape of lens. It worked fine on a lincoln Towncar, and a Honda. I can save some money on tape because I can reuse both types of liners that I purchased. I just need to work with it some to get the hang of it. I was able to wedge it under the light and taped the edges down. Candyman