Safelite Marketing Campaign?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Frank EU
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Safelite Marketing Campaign?

Post by Frank EU »

Here's a quote from today's GlassBytes....

Is the Safelite Ad Campaign Drumming Up Business for Entire Industry? Some Say It Is
October 9, 2009

Some independent shop owners say that the Safelite television ad campaign, launched last Sunday and scheduled to run for two weeks, is actually increasing their business as well-particularly on the repair side.

"We've been getting an influx of chip repair," says Clyde Stevens, owner of Visions Glass in Perham, Minn.

"They certainly have been a boon for our business," agrees Mike Russo of Thru-Way Glass in Syracuse, N.Y. "Our windshield repair service has definitely seen a spike."

It's also raised an awareness of repair-and made consumers start to wonder about this possible service.

" … I've had three people ask me today, 'do you do that goo thing on the windshields?" adds Stephens.

Ian Graham of Windshield Solutions in Roanoke, Va., points out that the ads also are helping to remind consumers that their windshields are important.

More? Follow the link: http://www.glassbytes.com/newsSafelite20091009.htm
candyman
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by candyman »

Thank you all! I found Vista and placed an order last night. I discovered a whole world of advertizing items that are much cheaper than I have found in my area and they are faster. I have one problem with the order screen. When you verify the order a pop-up appears and asks to retype the Email account for verification. If you key that in, you just signed on for a monthly fee for advertizing coupons. It took me about 10 minutes to get a person on line to cncl that. I didn't realize what I had done untill another pop-up appeared and I discovered each had a hidden fee for a $10 discount on your order. I dont like that type of solicitaion, and the manner it is used. Brent, Iam bringing moon pies if I can get them on the plane. Have a nice day! candyman
chipfix

Post by chipfix »

If you are using google adwords put their name in your keywords.
They pay big bucks for the ads,people google the company name,maybe they see your ad...half the price, mobile service!
Watch the cost per click and ask your customers how they found you and you should be able to tell if it's worth it.
tracy5963

Post by tracy5963 »

Hi Candyman. I am in NC as well . What part of nc are you in . I have several I deas on marketing but cannot handle all of the areas. Would be nice to have a competent person to share with . .Let me know .thanks
GLASSTIME

Post by GLASSTIME »

So, I was relaxing watching some tele with the wife last night and really into this movie. It went to a commercial and what do you know that commercial came on.. Immediately I hit the record button on the remote and after recording the commercial I went back and replayed the commercial heres what I found.

I seen a post here that someone was saying that a customer of thiers was stating that there was no blemish on the glass in the commercial, Yes there is there is a very light blemish. If you will watch the commercial when the safelite tech thumps the glass you can see a blemish.

However Im with Frank on the whole Safelite issue. Although I am very excited about the commercial as I have already had people relate to it in having my company do repairs for them. Im not happy with what Ive seen them produce. Again one bad experiance can ruin it for the whole industry. I too have went and gotten a quote from thier website but that was just the baking stage as I actually had a gentlemen tell me he paid $99.95 for a small chip the size of a ball point end!

This was after I informed him of my service and price. He was a little upset and at that moment He felt taken advantage of... :cry:

Something in me made me feel like sympathy for this guy. I checked back with him about 1 week ago and he has another chip and we scheduled it in to get it repaired. I got a chance to look at the chip repaired by Safelite and it was depressing! Now that was the icing on the cake sort of speak.

With all the big guys out there I still think that with persistance us smaller independents can overcome any type of economical restraints and stay in the pack of wolves just like the big guys. It takes a mind set, you have to evaluate you exsisting plans and stratigies and adapt to whats going on around you!

This commercial should give all of us more motivation than before, This commercial running on air is our best oppurtunity to get out there and present ourselves. It definately OPENS the door so why not step on in!!!! Treat that customer like it is your last, take your time and deliver optimal results. I guarantee if you do the right thing the first time around youll have a customer for life. Regardless of what Big Guy steps in your way.

I think alot of WSR Techs feel threatned by the Big Guys, I feel really bad about those of you losing large fleet accounts or accounts in general to Larger companies such as Safelite. Im not there so I cant evaluate the circumstances but Involvement and Customer Service is #1.

I know this much Im Here, Im Ready.......
Chad E. Clewis
President
GLASSTIME Windshield Repair & Headlight Restoration

"Its What You Put Into It That Counts"
curt

Post by curt »

I have posted on this topic before but briefly and have not been to vocal since joining this forum because I am new to WSR and taking it slowly , Probably to slow . This Add has excited me and may have pushed me from someone who bought a Delta Kit and played with it in my garage and repairing mine and friends WS to someone who is going to push this as a viable money making Business. I have been self employed for most of my working life . I have been a Building Contractor for over 25 years . Before moving to Fl. I owned a Const. Co . in a small town in the Midwest for 17 years and every few years the Big Boys would come out and market like drunken sailors get allot of work and I felt like they were taking mine at first but after a the first couple times this happened I realized I was getting more work also .They brought the service to customers minds and they started shopping .Some went to the Big guys at first in droves but NONE of them could maintain the service or production for long .These divisions are run by Mngrs . Not Owners who truly care about the craft . They get big heads cant keep up and flash out . They hire cheap help who don't really have the mindset or long term vision of an Owner.And they will train someone in a few hours and that work wont stand . I understand this is not Const. but basic Bu sines Practice I believe works in all service oriented Business . After the Crash of my Lifelong trade I got a JOB [just obout broke LOL] and needed to find something that was viable in all economies and settled on WSR . After MONTHS of pussy footing around this Ad has fueled the Fire and is pushing me forward .We can capitalize on this . They will bring our craft out to peoples minds who never thought about it .Now how we get our piece is up to us . For all this to pay of for them is going to take a huge amount of service and I haven't seen one Co. be able to maintain that kind of momentum for long .Sorry if this is rambling but it has truly given me the push I needed.
curt

Post by curt »

Back to ramble . A correction .They can survive in bigger markets because they don't rely on referrals .There are plenty of new customers in big markets and like P.T.Barnum said there's one born every minute . It takes good work and good service to survive and don't forget to SMILE . Now I'm done I promise . I think . No More coffee for me LOL
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

Hi Curt, welcome and thank you for the post. Are you sure it was just coffee? :P
Jbrodie

Post by Jbrodie »

First I'd like to say Hi Curt. I'm in Tampa Fl and your in a good market cause i hate driving down there. Maybe i can send you some work in bradenton and sarasota if you want.
Second of all thank you Belron/Safelite I worked for them for 10 months unitl I went out on my own. I actually used that 123 Ras system for those 10 months.
The RAS 123 system is good but it has a tendency to cause preasure cracks because sometimes the battery is too strong the compressor working to well and puts too much preasure on the chips. It's fine on bullseyes but use it on anything like a star or anything with a tiny crack and it's going to run on you 1 out of 10 times. Not to mention the windshield has to be at a certain temperature. The ras 123 needs to be cleaned atleast 2 times a week. Lubricating the parts, replacing O rings and if a fuse blows on the powere cord and you don't have replacements fuses (it happened to me a few times) you can't use either the rs 123, piston mounted on a suction cup, or if the battery pack is dead (there good for 3 months than it need to be replaced) everthing relies on that battery pack being charged. The capsuls that has the resin the tips break inside and you have to take the RAS 123 part to get to remove tip. Working for safelite you had to be clandestine when using a drill. I can go but why bother unless anyone else cares. I did learn how to do windshield repairs to the point i could go out and do it on my own.
In a nut shell with the battery pack fully charged everyday, The Ras 123 doing the bigger jobs, the piston on the suction doing the others they have a good idea. Belrons commercial is helping me out alot cause i'm geting safelite overflow work.
screenman

Post by screenman »

One of the things he Belron guys say overe here to customers is, when it breaks you will have to pay the excess for a new screen. Now this is slightly different to saying to someone, there is a very small chance of the damage growing slightly whilst the repair is being carried out.