best resins on the market?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
john eltoro

Post by john eltoro »

i looked back to the archives to try and find the subject on the best resins but was unable to locate. can anyone tell me the best three resins on the market? one being the best. thanks
desertstars

Bad tech?

Post by desertstars »

John.

I salute you for checking the archives before posing the question.

Most of the popular resins on the market are OK and you can't determine that by the price.

In fact, because of the myriad of conditions we repair under combined with individual expertise, you can't even determine resin quality by the result unless the result is consistently bad with a qualified tech.

Some of the best are cheaper to buy and vice versa.

Any opinions therefore are purely subjective as all opinions are.

My advice is to buy resin from any of the major W/S suppliers; take your time to effect a proper repair under the individual circumstances; then, see what works best for you after experience.

Assuming most repair resins from major suppliers are adequate, which I happen to think is the case, a better idea is to consider what VISCOSITY you select for the repair and to have a variety of viscosities available in your kit.

When I started 16 years ago that determination was simple because there was only one.

I repaired a six inch thin crack today with an ultra-thin viscosity resin. A side view showed that it disappeared completely.

I'm sure that the repair wouldn't have looked as good if I had been carrying only one resin thickness to choose from.

My point is that 16 years ago, I would have had to inject the thicker resins with a toilet plunger.

That crack called for an utra rather than medium thin resin to do the job and that's what I injected because I had what I needed.

There you go, John.
Glassx

Post by Glassx »

John,

I also agree with desertstars response.

Also I have found that Glass Technology provides a very High Quality and CONSISTENT resin. The label their resin by viscosity type.

Best Regards,

Glassx
GRT

Post by GRT »

Hey Desert, What Vis # did you use for that crack? Just curious. I use 45 for most cracks 15 for very thin.

Gary T.
desertstars

Post by desertstars »

if I know the vis for sure, Gary. It was an expensive and relatively unknown resin we were trying that was labeled as ultra-thin.

It ran out of the container faster than a leaking nose in a Wisconsin snow storm and I was dubious as to it's adhesive properties but I was pleased with the result.

I'm guessing it had to be around the 15 you use.

I'll find out if you are further interested.

Generally, their various resins seem to be high quality but expensive. We haven't yet determined whether or not the quality justifies the price as opposed to someone like Janvil at $25 bucks or so per ounce.

On the other hand, a mix of purchase from either or both isn't out of the question.
julian

Post by julian »

pit resin from delta is some of the best stuff i have ever used they sent me free samples and it works great, other guys here in my area dont even use pit resin or pit polish and makes my repairs look alot better than the comp.
desertstars

honk

Post by desertstars »

Julian.

I think the original thread referred to the best three resins.

An answer I didn't respond to because it could be argueable.

But, I'm a bit confused about your reference to pit resin and polisher.

When and if do you use it?

Personal or fleet vehicles or both?
stonedwindshieldrepair

Post by stonedwindshieldrepair »

i use pit resin on every repair.....even if it is just to catch that little gap that the other resin did not fill. i find it looks better too when it is filled completely.