harder then normal lights list

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
part-timer
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: harder then normal lights list

Post by part-timer »

t4k wrote:I worked on an 04 BMW 5 series, 06Lexus LX 470 and a MB C300 today. They went off with out a hitch and the customers were pleased with the outcome. I personally love the high end cars and their owners.

The BMW owner was the most impressed because he bought a DIY kit and almost ruined one of his lenses with the aggressive sanding.
t4k......count your blessings...the high end crowd is a great place to be in these times. It seems fewer and fewer folks have the extra money to spend on their headlights right now. I sure wish that I could break into the higher end market. I'm not sure, but feel that word travels fast between those folks if you provide good quality work.
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by t4k »

I do count my blessings, every day. You are so right about doing good work for the right people. I got all three of these jobs through the Lexus dealership I service. The best part was they brought the cars to me at the dealership, so I just lined them up and knocked them out!
candyman

Post by candyman »

Sept 30: I had my third hardest lens. 2005 Chevy State Police Vehicle. I used 6 180 pads 6 320 pads new and 14 used; 2 600 pads and 2 1500 pads to clean them. It was hard getting through the top layer to the actual lens surface. I used the used pads to help smooth the lens out. They looked new when I finished. The lens had a lot of deep scratch marks across the top of the lenses: This was a Va Highway patrol vehicle. It took me 2 hours and 10 minutes : I dont think anything was put on the lens and was strickly factory. Have a good day.
DryStar

Post by DryStar »

candyman wrote:Sept 30: I had my third hardest lens. 2005 Chevy State Police Vehicle. I used 6 180 pads 6 320 pads new and 14 used; 2 600 pads and 2 1500 pads to clean them. It was hard getting through the top layer to the actual lens surface. I used the used pads to help smooth the lens out. They looked new when I finished. The lens had a lot of deep scratch marks across the top of the lenses: This was a Va Highway patrol vehicle. It took me 2 hours and 10 minutes : I dont think anything was put on the lens and was strickly factory. Have a good day.
Did you actually make any money on this job?

Sounds like a lot of material used and labor time involved to restore these lens.
t4k

Post by t4k »

candyman wrote:Sept 30: I had my third hardest lens. 2005 Chevy State Police Vehicle. I used 6 180 pads 6 320 pads new and 14 used; 2 600 pads and 2 1500 pads to clean them. It was hard getting through the top layer to the actual lens surface. I used the used pads to help smooth the lens out. They looked new when I finished. The lens had a lot of deep scratch marks across the top of the lenses: This was a Va Highway patrol vehicle. It took me 2 hours and 10 minutes : I dont think anything was put on the lens and was strickly factory. Have a good day.
I admire your ability and desire to stick with a job and see it through no matter what difficulties you encounter. To me this shows a true sign of maturity and the "old school" drive to do a job right once you agree to perform the job. So many people look for the easy jobs or cherry pick the jobs they can do quickly and for the most profit.

My hat is off to you sir!!
DryStar

Post by DryStar »

Nothing against Candyman's effort or determination to clear these lenses. Just was curious if he profited? That was all!
t4k

Post by t4k »

DryStar wrote:Nothing against Candyman's effort or determination to clear these lenses. Just was curious if he profited? That was all!
My post was not directed at you. I was simply expressing my admiration for Candyman's determination and drive. Sometimes there is more to a job than profit. He may have made some important inroads for future work with this difficult set of lenses.
candyman

Post by candyman »

Even with the high number of pads, I still made a profit without putting a big fee on my time. I did a HLR and used so many pads prior to getting the 180 pads that I didnt make anything. It is seldom that I have to use so many pads. I always save used pads for just such an occassion. I normally get repeat business when I get a difficult lens and it turns out (WOW). I take some of these lens as a challenge and the profit takes a back seat. The 180 pad has saved me from having to use so many pads when faced with a hard surface. Normally i use a 320, 360 or 1000, then a 1500 pad . I clean the lens then use the 3000 pad or lens polish. If I use polish I wipe it off good with a cloth towel then apply the UV coating. I have discovered that if I break the surface coating with the 180 pad I can use the 320 pads to feather the coat off by tilting the sander. Have a good day.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Although in our shop we use the Griot's random orbit tool for everything and so far (knock on wood) have yet to come across a headlight as tough as some of you have described, it should be noted that an orbital polisher like the Makita PV7001C will remove old coatings and deterioration much faster. The reason we choose not to use rotary tools is that it is much easier to damage the car or the lens. However, if a job is taking you more than 45 minutes to complete or if you are going through multiple 180 grit discs I think having a rotary tool on hand is a worthwhile investment. Other than for testing we haven't used our Makita for sanding headlights in a long time, but it's there if/when we run across one of the nightmare lenses described in this thread. Even an electric drill or cheap rotary tool will cut faster than a random orbit tool because you can apply more pressure. Just be sure you watch your sanding marks and don't let it get away from you!
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
candyman

Post by candyman »

I hadnt thought about a regular sander to do that because of the potential to wearing a hole in the lens. I will put that in my back-up arsenal. Its rare that I need to use it. The 180 disc have come in handy on many occassions. I plan to order the 4.1 this week and see how I like it on a regular bases. Thanks for the info on the other sanders.