Door To Door In Southern Cal

This forum is dedicated to sales, marketing, insurance, and other business development issues. Since this is a Windshield Repair sub forum, please continue to use the other forums on this board to discuss non-windshield repair related issues of any nature.
D2D

Re: Door To Door In Southern Cal

Post by D2D »

This thread belongs in Business Development.

For cold calling in residential areas, you first need to check the local ordinances to see what they require regarding door to door solicitation. In the Denver metro area there are 10 municipalities, each with their codes. You can look up these codes on the internet or visit their city clerks office to find out.
It's all over the board. Several require fees and licenses. Some only require that you respect the "No Soliciting" signs and not create a disturbance or be a "public nucense" (sp)
That said, there are 4 areas with 500,000 population here that I can knock doors and be legal without having to pay any license fees. It'll take me a while to go through these, LOL.
I would certainly get whatever licenses and pay whatever fees to legally knock doors. It's worth it for the return. Most cities will provide a photo ID badge.
I did however, make up my own photo ID which I wear on a lanyard. It's been said here numerous times that looking professional by having a decent looking vehicle with some kind of signage, shirts and hats with your logo, business cards and brochures or flyers.

On my flyer, I have the Better Business Bureau logo and my website that shows that I'm an established and reputable local business, The cost of membership in the BBB is minimal and the value is great. Check it out.

When I approach a house, if any cars are there, I check the windshields. -STOP- I think I should say here that by looking like and carrying myself like a professional service provider, whether I'm in an office park or a residential neighborhood, I never worry about what anyone "thinks" about what I'm doing. "I know" that I'm not doing anything illegal, in fact, I'm glad when someone comes out and challenges me. They will say something like, "can I help you?" I walk right up to them and introduce myself and say my pitch.

For the longest time, I was timid and scared to cold call. Despite a long history of success with fleets, which by the way I got by cold calling as well, my mouth would go dry and my knees would shake when I even thought of cold calling, especially residential. Gradually over time, a number of things changed. Perhaps the most important, for me at least is, I don't see myself as "selling". Which is why I ignore the no soliciting signs. I've done countless repairs for people with these signs on their door. Once in a while, someone will point it out but I just apologize and say I just wanted to leave them my flyer.

There are 2 versions to this pitch based on whether you've seen a car with a repairable chip or you haven't. -STOP-

Several times in the past, I've harped on learning to avoid the "I can fix anybody's windshield syndrome". I'm selective about which windshields I want to repair both from the size, type, and location of the chip, as well as the attitude and disposition of the car owner. I have no problem just saying NO and walking away from cars and people that I judge as not being in my best interest to work on or with.

So, you've carefully inspected a windshield and decided to find the owner. You approach the door and knock. Good morning! (SMILE) I'm Johnny Chipmaster, I'm a windshield repair technician, could I please leave you one of my flyers? (with pictures of chips). Have you noticed any rock chips like this on your windshield? They will say yes or no but you then ask, did you know rock chips like this, (pointing to pictures) can be repaired and save your windshield from cracking out.

This is all you need to determine if the person you're speaking to is inclined or has the time to engage you relative to the information you've presented so far. Pay close attention and don't be pushy but be responsive. If they answer your question by saying that, yes, I have a chip on my windshield, or indicate by questions of their own then proceed to tell them, let's go have a look at it. If they are vague or evasive, again, don't be pushy. Point out on the flyer and say, if you need service, here's my contact information. You can reach me by phone or through my website, and I take evening and weekend appointments. Say thank you and go on to the next door.

If you have a responsive prospect, they may ask, "how much is it?". I will say, if you pay me directly, the minimum is $25 and the maximum is $45 and I take checks and credit cards. Did you know that most insurance companies waive deductible and pay for these chip repairs? Who are you insured with?

If their insurance company is on the list that I have on my flyer, I say, you have the option of using your insurance, the way it works is, we'll call for authorization and they'll speak to you and verify your deductible is waived so there's no out of pocket expense. The call takes about 5 minutes, all we need is your insurance card and we'll make the call.

I always set me phone on speaker so the customer can hear everything that's said.

So, the last thing to say is, I understand the reluctance and apprehension and bone numbing fear that the thought of cold calling brings up. I've suffered it a thousand times. My "state of mind" is that I'm meeting people. Informing and to some extent, educating people about a preventive maintenance service that will save them money. Whenever I start to feel timid or fearful, I remind myself deep down inside, "not one of these people I'm going to talk to today is going to lie awake tonight worrying about whether my family is fed or my bills are paid".
u2ricardo

Post by u2ricardo »

Wow, great reply! I always copy and paste onto a Word document when I get great instruction like this. It has been very nerve racking for me to approach residential and commercial clients but I must master it. I think little by little I will get more comfortable with it and embrace it. Thank you for the thorough post. At this stage in my development I can't thank everyone enough who really care and contribute. I will always do the same with others in this business and every day life.
I hope you are having a great weekend and THANKS AGAIN!!!
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by GlassStarz »

Walk around a buisness park with a clip board and uniform you may get a couple what ya doings walk around a residential area looking at peoples cars in thier driveways you are looking for trouble lots of other ways to get buisness
shepardh1

Post by shepardh1 »

Another idea: I have a diamond shaped bright orange sign that looks like a construction work ahead sign... but with my own message and my cell phone on it... "Please Drive Carefully Windshield Repairman Working Nearby 555-5555". I set it up at the entrance to neighborhoods or where there is a heavy traffic flow... :)
groofop
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by groofop »

D2D wrote:This thread belongs in Business Development.

For cold calling in residential areas, you first need to check the local ordinances to see what they require regarding door to door solicitation. In the Denver metro area there are 10 municipalities, each with their codes. You can look up these codes on the internet or visit their city clerks office to find out.
It's all over the board. Several require fees and licenses. Some only require that you respect the "No Soliciting" signs and not create a disturbance or be a "public nucense" (sp)
That said, there are 4 areas with 500,000 population here that I can knock doors and be legal without having to pay any license fees. It'll take me a while to go through these, LOL.
I would certainly get whatever licenses and pay whatever fees to legally knock doors. It's worth it for the return. Most cities will provide a photo ID badge.
I did however, make up my own photo ID which I wear on a lanyard. It's been said here numerous times that looking professional by having a decent looking vehicle with some kind of signage, shirts and hats with your logo, business cards and brochures or flyers.

On my flyer, I have the Better Business Bureau logo and my website that shows that I'm an established and reputable local business, The cost of membership in the BBB is minimal and the value is great. Check it out.

When I approach a house, if any cars are there, I check the windshields. -STOP- I think I should say here that by looking like and carrying myself like a professional service provider, whether I'm in an office park or a residential neighborhood, I never worry about what anyone "thinks" about what I'm doing. "I know" that I'm not doing anything illegal, in fact, I'm glad when someone comes out and challenges me. They will say something like, "can I help you?" I walk right up to them and introduce myself and say my pitch.

For the longest time, I was timid and scared to cold call. Despite a long history of success with fleets, which by the way I got by cold calling as well, my mouth would go dry and my knees would shake when I even thought of cold calling, especially residential. Gradually over time, a number of things changed. Perhaps the most important, for me at least is, I don't see myself as "selling". Which is why I ignore the no soliciting signs. I've done countless repairs for people with these signs on their door. Once in a while, someone will point it out but I just apologize and say I just wanted to leave them my flyer.

There are 2 versions to this pitch based on whether you've seen a car with a repairable chip or you haven't. -STOP-

Several times in the past, I've harped on learning to avoid the "I can fix anybody's windshield syndrome". I'm selective about which windshields I want to repair both from the size, type, and location of the chip, as well as the attitude and disposition of the car owner. I have no problem just saying NO and walking away from cars and people that I judge as not being in my best interest to work on or with.

So, you've carefully inspected a windshield and decided to find the owner. You approach the door and knock. Good morning! (SMILE) I'm Johnny Chipmaster, I'm a windshield repair technician, could I please leave you one of my flyers? (with pictures of chips). Have you noticed any rock chips like this on your windshield? They will say yes or no but you then ask, did you know rock chips like this, (pointing to pictures) can be repaired and save your windshield from cracking out.

This is all you need to determine if the person you're speaking to is inclined or has the time to engage you relative to the information you've presented so far. Pay close attention and don't be pushy but be responsive. If they answer your question by saying that, yes, I have a chip on my windshield, or indicate by questions of their own then proceed to tell them, let's go have a look at it. If they are vague or evasive, again, don't be pushy. Point out on the flyer and say, if you need service, here's my contact information. You can reach me by phone or through my website, and I take evening and weekend appointments. Say thank you and go on to the next door.

If you have a responsive prospect, they may ask, "how much is it?". I will say, if you pay me directly, the minimum is $25 and the maximum is $45 and I take checks and credit cards. Did you know that most insurance companies waive deductible and pay for these chip repairs? Who are you insured with?

If their insurance company is on the list that I have on my flyer, I say, you have the option of using your insurance, the way it works is, we'll call for authorization and they'll speak to you and verify your deductible is waived so there's no out of pocket expense. The call takes about 5 minutes, all we need is your insurance card and we'll make the call.

I always set me phone on speaker so the customer can hear everything that's said.

So, the last thing to say is, I understand the reluctance and apprehension and bone numbing fear that the thought of cold calling brings up. I've suffered it a thousand times. My "state of mind" is that I'm meeting people. Informing and to some extent, educating people about a preventive maintenance service that will save them money. Whenever I start to feel timid or fearful, I remind myself deep down inside, "not one of these people I'm going to talk to today is going to lie awake tonight worrying about whether my family is fed or my bills are paid".
Regardless of the age of the post, this was extremely helpful...thanks!

Gave me a different perspective on cold calling.
--
groofop
coast stonechips

Post by coast stonechips »

GlassStarz wrote:Walk the lot find a car with a chip walk in and ask who it belongs to. My pitch is simple im in the area working on another car and can fix yours while here its a easy sale good for 5-10 a day if you want to work a full day 8-) me I tend to set a $200 a day goal and go home when I hit it. Between My Art /Off Track Betting and the Beach I dont have a lot of time for work lol

I like the way you work man 8-)