How do you dress

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
usmc68
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

How do you dress

Post by usmc68 »

I wear dress slacks with a button down shirt to present a 64 year old businessman appearance for my wsr business-not a tee shirt and jeans type anymore-except when fishing.
Bad back and all, after seeing Candyman's recent post about his back and using a stool, I am interested in how you dress for work?
Just how messy is the Delta HLR system and how much clean up to the car and you? Do you wear a coverall?
Before the back went out years ago, I did scratch removal using IPS's system-still the best IMO, but messsssey. When I am finished with the job, I'm ready to get paid and go to the next customer-not wash their car!
Thanks.
Roo
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: How do you dress

Post by Roo »

I wear nice jeans(no holes or tears) with a polo style shirt with company logo on it. In the winter, a jacket with logo on it. The Delta HLR system isn't messy IMO. I do wear an apron when I am doing a restoration to try and keep the sanding dust off my clothes as much as possible. I just explain to the customer that the car cannot be washed for 36 hours because of the clearcoat I put on the lenses. However, all the dust from the sanding will wash right off when they do wash it. No one has complained yet because they are so amazed with the results :D
ChipMaster52

Post by ChipMaster52 »

I wear nice pants- sometimes slacks, sometimes a uniform type pants (Dickies,etc.) or nice clean jeans with NO holes or tears. I hate it when someone shows up to work with holes in their pants or they are sagging to their knees. They don't last long with me. I also wear a polo type shirt with my name and logo on it.
I also wear an apron when I do HLR just to keep some of the dust and stuff off my clothes.
Ricersux

Post by Ricersux »

Nice jeans or khaki shorts (weather dependent) and a nice embroidered polo plus an embroidered hat both with my logo.
-Eric
CLEARVU INC.
Indianapolis, Indiana
t4k

Post by t4k »

I am not sure dress slacks are appropriate but a nice clean appearance is required. Due to the fact I am in the south where it has been very warm this summer, shorts are a necessity. I also carry a replacement shirt (with logo) in the truck which I put on after I have soiled the first one. I work fleets and lots where I come in contact with approximately 50 -100 cars per day. I would surely ruin a pair of dress slacks and button down every day if I dressed in this fashion.
usmc68

Post by usmc68 »

Thanks for the replies. I will add an apron or doctors coat if I add HLR to my business.
t4k,
Thanks for your post. I use hood covers if my body will touch the car doing a WSR, at the most only my forearm touches the car.
I might sweat, but I don't get dirty or ruin my clothes.
My post referred to HLR and any ensuing mess or clean up.
Do you 'contact' or 'work' on 50-100 vehicles per day by yourself? Makes a big difference. I can 'contact' 100 cars in an hour if there is no damage.
No problem here.
t4k

Post by t4k »

I carry a spare shirt IF I get the first one sweaty. When I said I come in contact with 50-100 cars per day, I didn't mean I actually touch them, I check them for HLR and WSR damage and repair the ones that need my attention. I never let my forearm touch the windshield as this may apply pressure to an already damaged windshield.

I also carry a small hand vacuum to clean the crevices on the car after I have performed the HLR and I also vacuum my clothing to remove any dust that may have come in contact with my clean work clothing.

Good luck if you decide to add this service to your arsenal. It is a very clean add on business.
usmc68

Post by usmc68 »

t4k,
Thanks for your reply.
In over 20 years, my forearm has not caused any damage, except for burning my skin!!
pickmaster60

Post by pickmaster60 »

My technicians and I were khaki pants and blue collar shirts. We wear blue because it is seen as trustworthy, dependable and committed.
t4k

Post by t4k »

pickmaster60 wrote:My technicians and I were khaki pants and blue collar shirts. We wear blue because it is seen as trustworthy, dependable and committed.
That is interesting. I have never heard that the color blue is considered to be a trustworthy color.