Is Windshield repair fly by night?

This forum is dedicated to sales, marketing, insurance, and other business development issues. Since this is a Windshield Repair sub forum, please continue to use the other forums on this board to discuss non-windshield repair related issues of any nature.
Chips

Is Windshield repair fly by night?

Post by Chips »

I think Glass Repair suffers from a image problem. If I were to guess I would say that years of people sitting under easy-up's on the side of a road and putting up (come on) signs like "Free Windshield Repair" have given the profession a bad name. People doing shoddy work and moving from location to location have given the field a fly by night reputation.

I have been an entrepreneur and businessman for 30 years, When I think of starting a Windshield Repair Company I do not think about sitting under a pop up tent waiting for people to pull in. I think about developing a professional business where people call and make appointments. There is no reason that a Windshield repair company should not receive the same respect as a Plumber, Electrician or Appliance repair man. True the market is still evolving but isn't it time to start taking ourselves seriously?

I live in Boulder Colorado, a very affluent area. When it snows they put gravel on the roads for Gods sake, so there is no shortage of potential clients. I am sure that advertising can be effective however it needs to be consistent and it needs to be localized to the target market. Radio is too broad, it has lots of listeners but probably 90% are outside your market area. Localized marketing, perhaps ad mailers on a semi regular basis should bring results I would think. They say that customers do not see or hear an ad until they have seen or heard it 7 times. But at some point with consistent exposure when people hear that pop and a star appears on their windshield they will think I need to call that Windshield Repair Guy and set up an appointment. It seems to me that since most repair techs know the other techs in their area that Co-op advertising might be a good way to share the cost then split up the customers.

There are tons of repairs out there to do. It is my opinion that we are leaving a lot of money on the table not reaching out to the thousands of people who do not have time to stop and wait for someone operating under a tent. But would be open to making an appointment at their home or office when it is convenient to them.

My current business plan (in process) calls for a Prius to reduce fuel cost and promote a green image, with a bold advertising wrap and localized advertising to build a customer base. I understand that you also have to go out an meet people but wouldn't it be nice for them to know who you are when you get there?

An approach like this could establish a business as the reputable company in the area. Ads along with quality work could, I believe build a strong customer base in 2 years or less.

I would really like some feedback about this from people who have been in this industry for awhile. and especially from people who have tried this approach in the past.
Nate

Re: Is Windshield repair fly by night?

Post by Nate »

Chips,
This is my first post. Although I just registered I am not new to the industry. I learned from a close friend who has been in the business for 15 years. He taught me how to make money in this business. He tried every way to increase his business ( ie: tents, flyers, mailings, banners, etc.) none of it helped. He finally figured it out and taught me the key. For eight years I have worked an average of 3 days a week and made an average of $1200.00 a week. I have done as many as 10 repairs in a day, none of which were referrals from Lynx or Safelite. My friend Jim has used the same approach in at least three markets and had the same results. Here it is:
I do direct sales. I work doctors, lawyers, dentist offices, just about any business. Here is the key: you have to be able to distinguish the employees cars from customers. I does not work with say a highrise or parking garage, for obvious reasons. Single offices are the best, locate a vehicle or vehicles that need repair. Walk in with a smile and confidence, explain to the receptionist that you did a repair down the street and that you try to check everyones car in the area. Ask them who ownes the "green Honda Accord", etc. Most people tell me " I am glad you came by, I have been needing to get that spot fix, but I never seem to have the time to stop somewhere for repairs". When someone questions why I am looking at their car, I explain and oftentime repair their chips. Additionally, when I do get a refferal from the big boys I work the area when I finish that assignment.
It takes patients, when you first work an area people may be skeptial, stick to your guns, they will soften. I have been working my area so long that they often flag me down. I hope this helps. The hardest park is the cold call. Just stay professional.
Nate
candyman
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Is Windshield repair fly by night?

Post by candyman »

Good Morning Nate ! What days of the week have you determined are the purchase (buying) days for your customers? Do you live in a large city or rural area? How often do you work the same route? I do some of everything you said you stopped doing and its a hit and miss at times. I am branching out to a larger area within the next 30 days with YP & goggle. The information you listed is usefull. I drove the area on Tuesday to refresh my memory as to the layout and what is in that area. The area has had a masive construction buildup and almost a tripple increase of new housing during the past 6 years. with three hospital clinics, Dr offices, shops, and smal white collar businesses. I think your method could work for me there. I had plans to pursue what you posted and now I know someone was successful. Also Its in a area with 2 rock querry's that is on the main highway, leading in and out of the area of the new construction. Thanks for your post and the above information.