Temporary Business Permit

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
dwilkie
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

movies

Post by dwilkie »

Im still in the beginning stages of getting my business started. Ive found a great location to set up a tent with very high traffic less than 50 yards from a busy intersection. My schedule only allows me to set up there once a week. Ive got permission to set up in front of a store for $25 a day. I dont think this is a bad deal, but what do you guys think. :?: Also I checked with the city about a Transient Vendor/Temporary Business Permit for this city. And they gave me a form with a checkoff list of the things I need to set up business. The permit is $147 for only 30 days. :shock: I thought this was little high but would like to know if anyone else has to pay this for the city's you set up in. Heres the checkoff list
1.Written consent of property owner.
2.Copy of lease agreement.
3.Copy of plat from property owner indicating the existing right-of-way line.
4.1000-ft distance requirement from nearest transient vendor/temporary business.
5.Description and number of vehicles or tents used.
6.Certificate of fire retardant tent or Approval by Fire Dept.
7.Statement of arrests and dispositions for violations of the law by applicant.
8.Copy of Georgia Sales Tax Certificate.
9.Application made seven days prior to business beginning______.\
10.Zoning approval by_________
11.Sign Permitted by __________

Maybe Im crazy but I thought this was alot. What do you guys think?

Thanks
Daniel Wilkie
Windshield Repair of Atlanta
desertstars

ex-lurker

Post by desertstars »

dwilke.

This is an interesting and never-ending topic.

In effect, it goes to the heart of whether one is actively or passively looking for business and the answers will vary depending on the personal make-up of the respondent.

Some people enjoy making cold calls. Those are the ones who canvass businesses or even knock on residential doors in neighborhoods and aren't the least interested in twiddling their thumbs awaiting Mr. Right.

On the other hand, some people prefer to set up shop with billboards and tents and wait for business to come to them.

Some do both and I'll assume that describes yourself.

There is no right or wrong approach.

If you feel comfortable with one or the other, that's the direction you need to go.

My personal opinions regarding your specific questions concerning this particular passive scenario is that it seems to be a lot of money, time, and effort for a one-day stand.

In the first place, people don't usually stop the first time around. They need to see you and then PLAN to stop one or two or three days later.

The best place to set up a tent is where people actually stop their vehicles; get out; and pass by you or near you. In that case, you have the option of being either active (jerk the guy over by his tie or coat-tails) OR passive (concentrate on the foreign object in one or two of one's nasal passages.)

Hope this is of some value.
DaveC

tent

Post by DaveC »

Hey Dwilkie,

It has been a long time since I've had a business in Georgia, but you may want to check into just getting your state tx id number and a "regular (i.e. non-transient)" business license for that county/municipality. Since you won't be at that location full-time, you can/should be able to justify yourself as a mobile repair technician and not be perceived as a temporary vendor.
GRT

Delta Kits Factory Training In Texas - OLD

Post by GRT »

Damn Wilkie, No more lists like that. Just gave me a raging headache, and a few flashbacks. Well... maybe it didn't cause the flashbacks, but it definitely gave me the headache. :shock:
StarQuest

Post by StarQuest »

Hey Dwilkie,

Could you get any info on what the fine is for not operating with this temp license? If it were only $250....I'd take my chances and forget about any of that paperwork :roll: I'm surprized they didn't also request your kids social security #'s or who your sleeping with :wink:

Like GRT said "What a headache" :shock:
dwilkie

Post by dwilkie »

I didnt think about what the penalty might be. Ill check on that. I do have a business license in my own city. I could always play dumb and tell them I thought that was all I needed. Not sure. Ill think about it. I still dont understand why they want to know if I have a criminal background. I guess they want to make sure Im not setting up a hashish stand.

Thanks,
Daniel Wilkie
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

I know every town,city,county and state have different rules but the buisness you are renting the spot from is already licenced and since most states dont tax repairs you really are a sub contractor of sorts If someone hurts themselves in your tent the owner of the buisness is sure to get sued as well as you. I think the laws are vague my thinking is if your in someones parking lot your covered if your in an empty lot without a store or buisness who you are esentialy working under then your not. again I think every place is different but a basic buisness licence can be issued to a po bx in my state. If you rent a booth at a swap meet you dont need a permit i gotta believe the parking lot falls into the same general area. Am i making any sense? hey im a recovering car salesman what do I know
Ridge Runner

Huh?

Post by Ridge Runner »

Hello GlassStarz, You said "I'm a recovering car salesman what do I know". Apparently a lot (no not a car lot), you've moved on! Your statement reminds me of one of my favorite books, "Don't Get Taken Every Time", Which was written by a "recovering" dealership owner, about a fictitious car salesman,Bobby DeMarco (aka Killer Monsoon) & his tactics. You will do well in this business. Jim
dwilkie

Post by dwilkie »

That's interesting Glassstarz. I think I'll do a little research into that. This city seems to be pretty strict. This business just opened up and the owner said that the city was up his :!: about permits. I dont want to do anything that would get this guy fined. I'll let you guys know what comes of it.

Thanks
Daniel Wilkie
jumaxter

AAFES

Post by jumaxter »

What about a peddlers permit? They're cheap and when I'm in the cities that's the first and only thing law enforcement asks for. You don't even have to have the actual permit on you, just the receipt showing you paid the money!
That's for mobile type businesses only though. If you're in a permanent location, it is like the owner said. They will ask you to bend over.....