Acid Free Resins Vs The Rest?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
chipfix

Acid Free Resins Vs The Rest?

Post by chipfix »

Are there any disadvantages to acid free resin?
It seems like acid free resin would be the way to go..Less toxic??,so why are they not the "standard" resin?
Frank EU
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Acid Free Resins Vs The Rest?

Post by Frank EU »

Now that is a very good question.
We don't even have to blame the pathetic ''extra costs'' related to the ''production'' of the acid-free material. Therefore acid-free resins should be standard. I keep on asking myself why it is possible that manufacturers come away with any future health related problems related to the ''acid'' resins. I mean: to just add an MSDS would not be good enough to cover -in my opinion. If it is enough to cover, the law should be changed a.s.a.p.

I keep on telling people: if moisture can leave your body (sweat), any other (toxic) moisture can and possibly will enter it. We know about the skin-related problems, but what is happening with your system inside? I can tell you: it is not good. So you should use proper gloves and work in a well ventilated area.
That is all you can do. The problem is: the dangerous stuff is still the standard product in our industry.

Just sending out an MSDS, while the shippers are aware of the risks involved, should not, never, cover the future problems.
I would say: simply switch over, as an industry (I mean: ALL ''manufacturers'') to the safe stuff. It is real easy and doesn't have to cost all that much.
If you are really so involved in your GREEN approach, you should also care for your customers: ban the toxic acid stuff.
It is not ''green'' for your customers.

I have been working with acid-free resins and the repairs came out good -and after some five years or so, still look good. No shrinkage, no yellowing. Just good. And safe for the operator. (I am talking about Superglass WSR resins here)
I hope this helps you.
chipfix

Post by chipfix »

Thanks Frank EU ,good info.

If there is no shrinkage,yellowing or failings after 5 years , I wonder why "acid free" is not the industry standard?
Are there any "facts" that would prove acid free resin is a disadvantage for our intended purpose?

Delta management ??.. Please don't poison us unnecessarily :(
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

This should not be seen as an attack -nor result in an attack- towards Delta Kits. I do know that they are willing to change things. But then there is the competition, if they don't change......nothing ever happens. Well, nothing.....Delta will probably sell less product whilst the ''competition'' will probably sell more.

And that is the main problem. Competition is good, but not always in our favour. If all manufacturers show their involvement and responsibility, it would be a great thing for all. It should be a very easy thing, yet we all know that it's not very likely to happen.
just chippen away
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by just chippen away »

A long time ago I used another Manufacture resin and was not told to wear gloves, My finger tips would peel like gangrene, thick layers of skin was peeling off... The manufacturer I use now, Not Delta "Acid Free" I still do not use gloves but has no affect on my skin. But like Frank was saying, on a day when I sweat from the heat I can smell the resin coming out of my pores.
Just Chippen Away
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Delta Kits does sell high quality acid free resins, and I don't know of a single customer who "chooses" to use them who is not happy with the performance. That said, acid free resins do not have the same adhesive qualities that our acid based products do. Will you notice that difference? Some say yes and some say no, so I invite you to try it and make that determination for yourself.

This is no different than paint, paint remover, solvents, etc. The automotive industry is working very hard to formulate water based paints that perform as well as solvent based clear coats, but there are certain benefits to solvents that are very difficult to achieve with water. It's not different in the windshield repair industry.

Keep in mind there are different kinds of acids that can be used to formulate windshield repair resin, and some are far more dangerous than others, but are also less expensive. That is one of the reasons that resin prices vary so much. Some resins not only contain these dangerous chemicals, but contain them in very large quantities. Rest assured Delta Kits resins are not among these. Some resins are also formulated in a garage with no quality control, no laboratory testing and no concern for health or safety what so ever, but at Delta Kits safety is paramount.

All of Delta Kits resins are safe to use when recommended safety precautions are followed, and we have made a number of significant changes to our proprietary resins over the past few years to increase performance while minimizing health risks. In addition, Delta Kits employees who are involved with the shipping and handling of chemicals are sent to hazmat training classes to ensure that we are in compliance with all of the latest safety standards. It's amazing how many companies are shipping products illegally and may not even be aware of it, but doing things right comes with a price tag that unfortunately, some are just not willing to pay.

The bottom line is that we would be doing a disservice to our customers if we "only" sold acid free resins when there are better performing options available. However, for those of you who are happy with the performance of acid free resins Delta Kits has offered an acid free option for many years now, and it is an excellent product. Obviously a number of our competitors also offer acid free options, some good and some not so good.

Are there "facts" that prove the acid based products bond to the glass better? Absolutely! The problem however, is that in this loosely regulated industry there is no standard testing method used by all manufacturers, and there is no required independent testing. Without any accountability anyone can type up a phony spec sheet with whatever information they like on it. Unfortunately you cannot always believe what you hear or read.

Frank is dead wrong on the reasons why the bulk of the industry continues to sell acid based resin products. Why would we lose any business if we switched to all acid free if it is just as good? Why wouldn't we switch if it was just as good? Cost is not the issue as it doesn't cost any more to make acid free resin than it does to make acid based resin. You gotta use your heads here guys!

I've been using an acid based resin for 24 years and will continue to do so until an acid free formula can give me the same performance. When that day comes I will certainly recommend the acid free option to my customers. Until then it will remain an option for my customers.

One last word on this issue. Even if you use an acid free resin product, please use proper safety precautions. Just because it is acid free does not mean it is chemical free!
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.