Eight Retail Calls this week all for replacement?????

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
SMITHY
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Eight Retail Calls this week all for replacement?????

Post by SMITHY »

So frustrating, that I have to turn this business over to someone else. I have contacted all of the Replacement companies who don't do repairs, to try what others on this forum suggested, getting a referral fee from them and none of them are willing to do it. They said they would give me their repair referrals......In the back of my mind though I am thinking they are always going to sell the windshield if they can.

I guess it is good people are finding me during their internet search, but it would be nice to get a repair call once in a while between all of these replacement calls!!

Frustrating... :(
Jeff Smith-Owner
A + Windshield Repair
Mr Bill
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Eight Retail Calls this week all for replacement?????

Post by Mr Bill »

I get calls for replacement all the time. I tell them I dont do replacements just chip repairs; then I give them the number of a guy in town who does replacements. He does good work at a fair price. The replacement guy sends me customers who need chip repairs. I dont keep score.
ShawnWSR

Post by ShawnWSR »

I just started doing adwords and out of the 5 calls I received this weekend only one was for repair and the others were for the side window side mirror and two replacements. I'm trying to decide if I want to set up a referral system, subcontract the work out or just leave it alone.

Anyone that has experience with any of these strategies good or bad please reply.
ShawnWSR

Post by ShawnWSR »

Unfortunately Smithy I don't think were doing anything wrong with our campaigns. It seems obvious to me(and I'm sure it is to most of us) that retail customers aren't as proactive about doing repairs. They wait to call someone when they need a replacement. However I feel that If I can even squeeze out some profit it is worth it to me to gain new clients. Id much rather them come to me than a competitor and I think the exposure is great. I'm not sure how much you pay for each conversion but at my rates I paid $4 per call so if I can make an extra 20 in referral cash Id be paying for my advertising. Obviously if I can make more under the right circumstances that would be even better.
candyman

Post by candyman »

The vast majority of my calls are for replacement or side windows. I refer them to a shop that has a fair price and well known. They in turn send me headlight referals or give my cards out. Most of the calls are coming as a result of my website followed by yellow page ads.
SMITHY

Post by SMITHY »

Well I have two guys that I have been referring them to. Every other call, I forward to the different guy. They both claim they will send me the repairs. I specifically selected two guys who DO NOT do repairs and only replacement. So far I have gotten no referrals. Le't hope they are true to their words. Would be nice to just get a referral fee, like above, so that I could pay for more advertising.

Both of these guys told me they make $100 off of each windshield, after cost of gas.
Jeff Smith-Owner
A + Windshield Repair
SMITHY

Post by SMITHY »

ShawnWSR wrote:Unfortunately Smithy I don't think were doing anything wrong with our campaigns. It seems obvious to me(and I'm sure it is to most of us) that retail customers aren't as proactive about doing repairs. They wait to call someone when they need a replacement. However I feel that If I can even squeeze out some profit it is worth it to me to gain new clients. Id much rather them come to me than a competitor and I think the exposure is great. I'm not sure how much you pay for each conversion but at my rates I paid $4 per call so if I can make an extra 20 in referral cash Id be paying for my advertising. Obviously if I can make more under the right circumstances that would be even better.

You are right, my neigbor who works for GM the plant here, says that he goes to Wisconsin, his home twice per month, to see his family, he had to chase the work here, and got himself a rock chip on the windshield, let it go and it cracked out to one side, then two weeks later cracked to the other. So he ended up getting a new windshield. He said there are 50 other guys at the plant that all moved from Wisconsin to stay working, so he is going to take a bunch of my business cards to them. He said he will remember next time. But you are right, they wait til it breaks out??? I don't get it.
Jeff Smith-Owner
A + Windshield Repair
SMITHY

Post by SMITHY »

I am just glad to see that I am not the only one getting these types of calls. So while I take the call, I reiterate to the person on the other end, that once you get that replaced, and it gets a rock chip, or any type of break to please remember me and give me a call. Then I thank them politely and tell them to have a nice day.
Jeff Smith-Owner
A + Windshield Repair
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by t4k »

I got a call several years ago for a quote on a woman's kitchen window.
DryStar

Post by DryStar »

Smithy,

I use to get paid on replacement referrals from shops not so long ago but not so much anymore. Most shops will have a WSR kit and do the repair themselves (or sell the replacement). I still refer replacements to a few select chosen shops but now hold them to a barter system. I refer the customer, then do a follow up call to make sure said shop provided a quality service and document it. If I ever require a windshield or other service they've always worked with me. I've had a few that didn't but that's business.