How does one approach a car dealer?

This forum is dedicated to sales, marketing, insurance, and other business development issues. Since this is a Windshield Repair sub forum, please continue to use the other forums on this board to discuss non-windshield repair related issues of any nature.
DryStar
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: How does one approach a car dealer?

Post by DryStar »

I'll probably agree with most of you that thinks "groofob" should continue his education but I will also state that many of my friends children can't even find a job with four year degrees! Who are we to decide what's in his best future interest? He comes from a business oriented family, so maybe this is his future in business . He is so motivated...even if he fails I'm sure he will find a way to overcome that.
groofop
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by groofop »

I respect everyones opinions about schooling, alot of people are successful from getting a nifty degree and getting a killer job, I also know a couple of my Dad's friends who have doctorates in the medical field and are having trouble finding jobs.

In my opinion, (not fact mind you) schooling, for me anyways, is just the basic fundamentals of life. It teaches you how to read, write and do math. Sure, taking some history and science will do a person good, but unless you have a passionate yearning for a certain path that involves learning those skills, I don't see the advantage in pursuing knowledge any higher than a GED. (which in reality, is basically the same as a HS diploma)

I've done 2 years in public speaking, 1 in debate, alot of reading, writing, typing mathematics and social skills. For someone who's going into the business field as a career, what is the big "HOLY CRAP YOUR NOT FINISHING HIGH-SCHOOL??!" dilemma for?

Just my opinion; I don't plan on doing any college, and If I do, it would be sales related. (Which is one of those arenas where people could care less what degree you have, as long as you got experience.) They just want you to know what your talking about and have the salesman personality.

Maybe everything my Dad told me is wrong, but he's successful in his business and he never did college. I'm not saying that it's for everyone, certainly not everyone is supposed to run their own business, but it's in my core that I should follow in my Dad's footsteps. So far, God hasn't told me what I'm doing is wrong...I think I'll let Him be the one to say "Hey-oh! Stop it stop it, go to college and get a normal job bud."

Not to step on any toes, but read this: http://www.tooft.com/10-richest-people- ... h-college/

There are alot more then just them, go Google if ya don't believe me. Anywho, hope I made my point. Once again, it's just my honest opinion, people who do well with college degrees, good for you! There's alot of skill involved in that, but it's not for everyone.

Also DryStar, thanks for pointing that out.
--
groofop
Chips_Away_Windshield_Repair
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Chips_Away_Windshield_Repair »

I approach dealers by backing up and start looking for a company that will not be looking for the next cheapest guy coming along and string him along for several months with "your check is in the mail".
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

Amen!Screw used car lots!You better be ready to do repairs for nothing if you want that market where I am at.
Chips_Away_Windshield_Repair
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Chips_Away_Windshield_Repair »

Another thought, I knew a young fellow years ago who made almost as much in tips from old ladies and young girls as the repair. Smile a lot, make friends and good luck!
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

DryStar wrote:I'll probably agree with most of you that thinks "groofob" should continue his education but I will also state that many of my friends children can't even find a job with four year degrees! Who are we to decide what's in his best future interest? He comes from a business oriented family, so maybe this is his future in business . He is so motivated...even if he fails I'm sure he will find a way to overcome that.
and this is the smartest post i have seen out of this entire thread...I am sure there are millions of kids sitting at home
right now not even thinking of making money...I surely wasnt not thinking of making money at 16, there are tons
of HS grads wishing they had a job, and tons of people with high degrees wanting a job but cant find one. Going
to college, spending 1000's on a piece of paper does not guarantee you work once you are done, unless you show
some high skill level that other grads can not, then maybe you can walk away with a job, if your lucky...did you catch
that piece on CNN that this 40yr man is going back to colleage, it will cost him $40k/yr - 4 years = $160k - is he
honestly going to be able to find a job when he is done? It is getting difficult for even older people to get work...
and if he does get work, is he honestly going to be able to make enough to pay back that loan with interest, now
his $160k loan has turned into $250,000 - maybe he would have done better if he invested in WS repair...but since
some of you guys love to belittle people with your misery, then you would have just run him off the forum with your jelousy and haterd.

You do with your life what you want; The only person that can stop you, is you....
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Chips_Away_Windshield_Repair wrote:I approach dealers by backing up and start looking for a company that will not be looking for the next cheapest guy coming along and string him along for several months with "your check is in the mail".
the problem with a small business extending credit, are you willing to take
the dealer, or anyone to court when it is time for them to pay up?

In my business, I am not a bank, or a creditor...
By giving credit to anyone serves a high risk of not getting paid....

This is no different then doing one-on-one repairs, do you give them 30-60 day credit?
absolutely not, once you left that customer, high chance you will never see them again....

I knew a trucking company that strung their creditors along, when they got deep enough in debt,
they just filed BK, and their creditors were dumb enough to get right back in bed with them again....
and they use several company names, when they are done, they file BK, and move onto the next morons
that are willing to do business with them once again...