ABC News finds unethical pricing.

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
DryStar
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: ABC News finds unethical pricing.

Post by DryStar »

Glassdoc wrote:A certain National Company got caught today price gouging. Here is the link: http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?secti ... id=8431980

What are your thoughts? Do you charge extra money depending on the zip code or type of vehicle it is? I've always charged the same when it comes to a repair. Whether its a 73 Pinto or a 2012 Mercedes Benz. Makes me just shake my head and wonder, why..
I've also check out their instant quote website before for chip repairs. Not only do they charge more for repairs outside a 20 mile radius of hub location, they also charged more for higher end vehicles. My results varied between 79.95 -129.95 cash for one repair depending on service area,vehicle, make and model.
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

So, who is doing it right?
DryStar

Post by DryStar »

screenman wrote:So, who is doing it right?
Well, screenman....since they control 75% as a TPA provider for our largest insurance companies in U.S and spend millions in advertising, I'd say they are! It's strictly business and they know how to work it. Only thing good I can say about Safelite is they have raised the price of repairs and not lowered them.
screenman

Post by screenman »

So maybe the guys who say they can only charge $25 in their area could learn something here.
Glasseye

Post by Glasseye »

I worked for Autoglass UK till 2006. At that time, when I left, they had a national price structure at branch level, which meant you were charged the same price anywhere in the UK. That price, however, was a " high end " price which meant that anyone shopping around for a good deal, could easily get a better price from a local outlet. The business focus of Autoglass ( Belron) was not on dealing prices over the phone. Their target customer was the fully comprehensive insured customer who was only paying an excess for their replacement screen. The branch I worked at completed approximately 250 to 300 jobs per week. Of those, 3 to 4 would be paying for their work completely, so this demonstrates where their business was. I would imagine since 2006 as computer systems have advanced, they can now target their pricing structures more selectively and the ZIp coding pricing would be an example of this, but it is still not their core business.
mend master

Post by mend master »

Glassdoc wrote:True, if the customer lived outside the 20 mile radious maybe a few bucks for gasoline. But, this vehicle was taken to Safelite for a replacement. To their shop. And based on where the owner put down they lived (by zip code) the price changed from $30-$80. That's not good business sense, I don't care who you are.
The point has been made, but appears to need to be reemphasized: The customer brought the vehicle to Safelite's shop! Safelite spent ZERO extra dollars to service this person's vehicle. They inflated the price because they made the decision, based solely on where the customer lived, he deserved to pay more. They stole this person's money. If you think this is okay, then you are just as unethical and as big of a crook as they are. This is far from any type of gray area. This is simply a matter of right and wrong.
puka pau

Post by puka pau »

So Safelite charges more or less for a repair depending on zip code? OMG! Safelite (and numerous independent vendors - including many who also do WSR) will bill a car dealer $150 for glass that they and others bill insurance companies $450. Many WSR techs will do a garden variety ROLAGS-style repair for $35 or $40 cash but bill insurance $60 or $65 for a similar job. And then there's the guy in a recent thread who bills his customers "several times the cost of a new windshield" for repairing cracks longer than six inches!! Looks to me like there's plenty of hijinks for ABC News to expose - and it goes a lot further than Safelite. A bunch of you out there might want to take a long hard look in the mirror.

Cheers;

Puka Pau
Windshield911

Post by Windshield911 »

Yeah I bill more for insurance jobs b/c I pay extra for invoicing and also don't get paid for up to 6 weeks.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Careful what you quote on the phone, we hear stories of the insurance companies dummy shopping for quotes, then setting prices that they will pay out from the average, or worse.
mend master

Post by mend master »

puka pau wrote:So Safelite charges more or less for a repair depending on zip code? OMG! Safelite (and numerous independent vendors - including many who also do WSR) will bill a car dealer $150 for glass that they and others bill insurance companies $450. Many WSR techs will do a garden variety ROLAGS-style repair for $35 or $40 cash but bill insurance $60 or $65 for a similar job. And then there's the guy in a recent thread who bills his customers "several times the cost of a new windshield" for repairing cracks longer than six inches!! Looks to me like there's plenty of hijinks for ABC News to expose - and it goes a lot further than Safelite. A bunch of you out there might want to take a long hard look in the mirror.

Cheers;

Puka Pau
Well, maybe you should learn the difference between wholesale pricing and retail pricing before you fall off your high horse and hurt yourself.