ABC News finds unethical pricing.

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
thechipdoctor
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: ABC News finds unethical pricing.

Post by thechipdoctor »

mend master wrote:
Glassdoc wrote:True, if the customer lived outside the 20 mile radious maybe a few bucks for gasoline. But, this vehicle was taken to Safelite for a replacement. To their shop. And based on where the owner put down they lived (by zip code) the price changed from $30-$80. That's not good business sense, I don't care who you are.
The point has been made, but appears to need to be reemphasized: The customer brought the vehicle to Safelite's shop! Safelite spent ZERO extra dollars to service this person's vehicle. They inflated the price because they made the decision, based solely on where the customer lived, he deserved to pay more. They stole this person's money. If you think this is okay, then you are just as unethical and as big of a crook as they are. This is far from any type of gray area. This is simply a matter of right and wrong.
How did they steal anything? The customer was offerd a price and subsequently accepted it! That customer did not have to use Safelite and did not have to take it to their shop. Arguably, if they phoned around they might have got a better price.
Surely Safelite can quote what they want to, if the customers accepts their price i don't see how they are 'stealing'!!
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

As I said earlier, they might be giving a discount to people from poorer area's. Either way the one of the idea's of being in business is to make a profit. I am sure there are many like me who have regular high volume customers who actually pay more than some smaller lesser customers.
mend master

Post by mend master »

thechipdoctor wrote:
mend master wrote:
Glassdoc wrote:True, if the customer lived outside the 20 mile radious maybe a few bucks for gasoline. But, this vehicle was taken to Safelite for a replacement. To their shop. And based on where the owner put down they lived (by zip code) the price changed from $30-$80. That's not good business sense, I don't care who you are.
The point has been made, but appears to need to be reemphasized: The customer brought the vehicle to Safelite's shop! Safelite spent ZERO extra dollars to service this person's vehicle. They inflated the price because they made the decision, based solely on where the customer lived, he deserved to pay more. They stole this person's money. If you think this is okay, then you are just as unethical and as big of a crook as they are. This is far from any type of gray area. This is simply a matter of right and wrong.
How did they steal anything? The customer was offerd a price and subsequently accepted it! That customer did not have to use Safelite and did not have to take it to their shop. Arguably, if they phoned around they might have got a better price.
Surely Safelite can quote what they want to, if the customers accepts their price i don't see how they are 'stealing'!!
Yes, Safelite, or anyone for that matter has a right to quote what they want and to charge what they want. We can certainly agree on that. But if two retail customers bring identical cars into your shop and need indentical windshields and you choose to charge one customer more simply because he lives in a "better" end of town, you are being unethical in my opinion. What I can't understand is how there can be any question about this being wrong.
screenman

Post by screenman »

It is the other way around, they are charging less to people from the less desirable area.
t4k

Post by t4k »

screenman wrote:It is the other way around, they are charging less to people from the less desirable area.
It's like Robin Hood....take from the rich and give to the poor. So, this makes them heroes!! :shock:
screenman

Post by screenman »

Just saying there are two ways to look at the subject.

Talking about Robin Hood, I did a 40 mile off road ride in Sherwood Forest recently, which as you may know is where he used to hang out.
t4k

Post by t4k »

screenman wrote:Just saying there are two ways to look at the subject.

Talking about Robin Hood, I did a 40 mile off road ride in Sherwood Forest recently, which as you may know is where he used to hang out.
I've heard that was his old stomping grounds.
Windshield911

Post by Windshield911 »

screenman wrote:Just saying there are two ways to look at the subject.

:lol:
clearquest

Post by clearquest »

Simply...........who cares? Life (and the windshield repair industry) goes on.
gumball

Post by gumball »

the more time and fuel it takes the more i will charge.If 2(or more) customers come to ME same price per crack .