Tips to make your WSR day easier!

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
trueviewag
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Tips to make your WSR day easier!

Post by trueviewag »

This forum is my source for motivation and insight. I've read this thread and took what i needed from it. i started out not puting anything on a car hood and will continue not to, this is my decision and it works for me. What i did take from this is how you set up your box. You gave me some ideas that make sense. I want to thank you for that. I'm curious to know how everyone else has set up for the repair. Box or no box, tool or no tool. I need things simple and clean, quick and easy. I don't mean to steer away from this discussion, maybe it should be another thread i don't know. I'm new to windshield repair and want to do it to the best of my ability, and with as much fun as possible. Anyway.....talk at ya later
TRUE VIEW Auto Glass
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

Make sure if you wear a belt that the buckle is around the side, choose work clothes carefully so as to avoid anything that can scratch.

Never put your pit fill and mylar back away until you have scraped the pit fill.
pommy

Post by pommy »

I went to bed, got up - and this has turned into a debate :roll:

I just wanted this post to be about tips, so people can use them (or not).

My only point was lack of tact. What may seem stupid or lazy to some, make be a great idea to others. I find sharing tips rewarding personally - knowing someone is having an easier time with something.

@screen I can't believe you would even wear a belt while working on a Ferrari - that's just idiotic.

... Of course I'm joking, but just because I feel it, I don't say it? Where do you live where society works like that?

A better community response may have been "although the mat will hold your tools, there is a risk of paint damage from contaminants between it, and the car"

Simple, effective and polite.

I think the thread needs clearing up or deleting.
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.
trueviewag

Post by trueviewag »

When it's cold outside i wear a hoodie with a pouch. It has the delta certification patch on the sleeve and my business name on the front left side of the chest. It's soft and theres nothning to scratch paint as i reach. I use the hoodie because i can slip my resin and pit filler into the pouch for easy reach and it keeps them some what warm. I also use the inside of the the box lid to attache my moisture evaporater, pens and cards, and other items with velcro. I slip three to four blades into a slash i made into the foam next to the tabs, it makes for easy reach. I wear safety glasses with a bifocal lense because i can't see as well close up as i use to, so i'm safe and can see my repair. I'm just throwing this out to those that want to share there idea's also. Anyway.... i'll talk at ya later.
TRUE VIEW Auto Glass
pommy

Post by pommy »

Thanks for the tips!

The glasses I can relate to ;)
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.
Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill »

I usually wear a black apron when doing WSR.
It keeps my clothes clean and prevents my belt buckle from scratching the paint.
I dont set my toolbox on the hood/bonnet, but I use a smaller plastic box for my resins and cure tabs etc , so they are within easy reach.
I cut the tops off some pill bottles and glued them into the plastic box, so the resins have a place to sit.
I prefer to leave my main toolbox on the tailgate of my truck.
Attachments
IMG_0585a.jpg
IMG_0585a.jpg (77.46 KiB) Viewed 772 times
screenman

Post by screenman »

It is not considered a good idea to carry resins around in your pockets. Or I would suggest that carrying resin in your pockets could lead to problems if the bottles leak. Or there is a slight chance that a resin bottle will leak and the resin could get onto your skin.

Try this put a small amount of resin about 1/10 of a ml and see how quick it adjust to the temperature of the glass, warm it up or cool it down as soon as that small amount hits the glass it will be the same temperature as.

Can somebody explain why there is a need to place anything at all on the customers vehicle, I am missing something here.
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

I don't take issue with the sharing of opinions or ideas... everyone has a right to that, doesn't bother me a bit. But at times I do take issue with the manner in which opinions are stated. Just be civil and have a little respect, and it will come back around.

I appreciate the input given from experience, especially from some of you guys who work in different situations and have different customer base than I do. There is always something to be learned, and usually is always another way to do things. Of course, the ignorant will disagree with that.
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

screenman wrote:It is not considered a good idea to carry resins around in your pockets. Or I would suggest that carrying resin in your pockets could lead to problems if the bottles leak. Or there is a slight chance that a resin bottle will leak and the resin could get onto your skin.

Try this put a small amount of resin about 1/10 of a ml and see how quick it adjust to the temperature of the glass, warm it up or cool it down as soon as that small amount hits the glass it will be the same temperature as.

Can somebody explain why there is a need to place anything at all on the customers vehicle, I am missing something here.
I usually have a 2' aluminum step ladder with me, and I can use that to set my bag on if I want to. But if it's a truck and the chip is up high in the middle of the w/s, then I need to stand on the ladder and can't do that and use it for a table at the same time. So the bag has to either go on the ground, or on the vehicle hood or w/s. Ground can be fine, except that it's much more convenient to have my tools all right there where I'm actually doing the work. And if the ground is not clean and dry, I don't want my bag there.

I've also kept my bag in the back of my car with the hatch open, if I can park right next to the customer vehicle.

Depending on the vehicle and where the chip is at on the w/s... I can also place my bag right on the windshield, resting against the wiper blades and not even touching any paint. This puts tools right at my fingertips and I would hope it's ok to touch the w/s, since that's what I'm working on... and sticking things to.

On the resin in pockets, it's true that a couple drops of resin will conform to the temperature of the glass pretty quick. But it's not a poor idea to keep resins closer to room temperature, and if it means keeping them in your coat, etc... no harm in that. Why would there be increased leakage in a pocket vs in a tool box?
trueviewag

Post by trueviewag »

Thank you for opening my eyes to the resin issues. There is a chance that the bottles may leak in my pockets so i will try something different. Theres no need to push my luck there... I use a very small spray bottle with alcohol to clean my bridge parts. Just a couple of squirts and wipe it down, seems to work. I also put something together the other day to see if it would work for me. I put a resin seal into a small 3 inch long clear tube, the opening was just small enough to insert the seal. I put a dab of resin in it and run it slowly along a crack to fill it.( I don't have an extra bridge or plunger). It works kinda.(LOL) Anyway... i really appreicate your ideas, keep them coming please. Talk at ya later
TRUE VIEW Auto Glass