moister evaporator

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Clearveiw
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

moister evaporator

Post by Clearveiw »

?anybody tried using the moister evaporator on the inside of vehicle.
just wondering if this would help avoid cracking or would this just damage the inner layer ?
mend master

Re: moister evaporator

Post by mend master »

I only use it on the outside for approximately 15 seconds. I was originally trained to apply heat to the inside with another tool, but I find the moisture evaporator does a superior job in a shorter time frame if it is used correctly.
Frank EU
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Frank EU »

To heat up from the inside makes no sense.
a) the process needs more energy (and time -but who cares about time) to be heating up the subject glass (even a second layer now)
b) by going from the inside ...you also need to ''heat up'' the PVB, prior to be reaching the outer layer where the damage is located -not good.

Cracking.... I too questioned many processes when I started out in this trade. I believe that this is a ''normal'' thing.
It also leads to be learning the hard way.
And believe me, I sometimes have learned things the hard way. Do not misunderstand me, even today it is Not that I am always following any advices made by suppliers or manufacturers.... but this time your supplier is right. Follow the advice and heat the outer layer. I rarely have had a crack out, and if it cracks...you know that it is fresh -so easy to repair. jmho

Oh, just a quickie.... we all assume that, when posters use the term ''moisture evaporator'' indeed use the Drystar.
But I still have other #moisture evaporators# in my collection of tools. For example: many years ago Liquid Resins came with their own piece (unsuccesfully).
You are using the Drystar (ie: privately labelled for GW, DK, GT etc. -all the same piece) right?
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

A few seconds thinking about the physics of warming the inner glass should tell you why it is a bad idea. Think of a bi-metal spring and that should get your thinking in the right direction.
Clearveiw

Post by Clearveiw »

All my second guesses were answered .Thank you.