What about when half of the lens is in great shape?

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
davidc11291
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

What about when half of the lens is in great shape?

Post by davidc11291 »

It seems that I get a lot of vehicles where only the top half of the original coating is starting to deteriorate, while the bottom half of the lens has a perfect, crystal clear coating. Removing the coating on the bottom half of the lens is very difficult and time consuming, since it's not deteriorated yet, but if I try to only sand the top half of the lens, then blend the area where I've removed the coating with the area that I haven't removed it, I get a distinct line in the lens. The process I'm using now is to remove all of the coating on the entire lens. Is this neccessary, or is there a way to leave the undamaged coating intact and still get high quality results?
Old Blue 66

Re: What about when half of the lens is in great shape?

Post by Old Blue 66 »

I often get cars like that too. But there is no way to blend the two together that I have found. Ive experimented with blending and have had poor results. If anyone else has any ideas Id like to hear about it.
Paul Weinstein
davidc11291

Post by davidc11291 »

That's what I figured, just was hoping that there was a technique to blend that I wasn't aware of. I hate dealing with a lens where the majority of the factory coating is in great shape. I hate having to sand all that perfectly good coating off. I'd much rather deal with a lens that's completely yellowed than 1 that's just starting to get small areas of failure.
candyman

Post by candyman »

This is what seperates those that take short cuts ( fly-by-nights) and professionals. Do the entire lens. I trained an individual and later leanred he was doing the same as you suggested. You cant afford to get a bad reputation. Word of mouth will make or break you. We face all sorts of obstacals when restoring headlighhts. Always strive to do the best job you can. You do the job the way you would want someone else to do the same for your vehicle. I see some cut corners on UV , pads etc... and they make money. However, one day, that will catch up with them. You arent spending that much extra and the time to do the entire lens will be rewarded with referrals and not a re-do or bad press. Sometimes a lens may only need to be sanded with a few pads because the surface is slightly damaged. The Majority of the time I still start with a 320. I had a lens a few weeks ago that was so yellow. It appeared to be all the way through the lens It lighten up some, but not much. The other lens was almost new. Have a good week.
davidc11291

Post by davidc11291 »

I've read several posts on here where people talk about starting with 1000 grit if the lens isn't in too bad of shape, and how if the condition of the lens isn't too bad, its a breeze to do. I'm confused by this, because for me, if the lens is in pretty good shape (with only a little bit of OEM coating failure), then I've got a ton of sanding work to do in order to remove all of the good coating. But if the OEM coating is just trashed and falling apart everywhere, there's less OEM coating actually remaining to sand off, and what is on the lens sands off much easier than OEM coating in good condition. What am I not understanding???
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

davidc11291 wrote:I've read several posts on here where people talk about starting with 1000 grit if the lens isn't in too bad of shape, and how if the condition of the lens isn't too bad, its a breeze to do. I'm confused by this, because for me, if the lens is in pretty good shape (with only a little bit of OEM coating failure), then I've got a ton of sanding work to do in order to remove all of the good coating. But if the OEM coating is just trashed and falling apart everywhere, there's less OEM coating actually remaining to sand off, and what is on the lens sands off much easier than OEM coating in good condition. What am I not understanding???
There are different thoughts on this. It really depends on the condition of the lens. I love a car thats got what I call rusty and crusty lens's. The old clear comes off so easily and the 320 step takes less time. Example, I did a Tundra yesterday. The clear was already chipped off on half the lens. Funny how the lens was very clear on the upper and lower part. I ran it with an 800 and finished with a 3000 and cleared it. It came out perfect. Experience will tell you what to do.

I do agree with Candyman that there really are no shortcuts. I start with 320 almost all the time. In this case it was a gamble and a test to see if it would work. I figured that since the old clear was flaking so easily, 800 would take it right off and it did. Wish I took pics.
Paul Weinstein
part-timer

Post by part-timer »

davidc11291 wrote:I've read several posts on here where people talk about starting with 1000 grit if the lens isn't in too bad of shape, and how if the condition of the lens isn't too bad, its a breeze to do. I'm confused by this, because for me, if the lens is in pretty good shape (with only a little bit of OEM coating failure), then I've got a ton of sanding work to do in order to remove all of the good coating. But if the OEM coating is just trashed and falling apart everywhere, there's less OEM coating actually remaining to sand off, and what is on the lens sands off much easier than OEM coating in good condition. What am I not understanding???

David....I think it depends on who you are working for, as far as what type of lenses you get the most of. I do 90% of my jobs for two small used car lots and 90% of the lenses they give me have not even 25% of the coating worn off of the top part of the lens. They want the whole lens to look new though. I've got used to the fact that those types of vehicles are my bread & butter. It may take a little more sanding but, they are loyal to me because they know I'll do the best I can do for them. Thats what counts!! Yes, the worn out lenses are easier to restore.....but those are few and far between. I actually sand all of mine by hand because for me....it just works better. In time you will also find that some vehicles(like Honda's, Kia's...ect) you can start out with 800 grit and others(like Chevy trucks and newer GM's) you have to start with 400 or 320 grit. It just takes time! Be patient mt friend.
pommy

Post by pommy »

candyman wrote:This is what seperates those that take short cuts ( fly-by-nights) and professionals. Do the entire lens
Have to strongly disagree there mate...

If you are skilled - it is EASY to blend the top damaged portion with the lower, undamaged part.

You just pick a line and mask it where below it is good - sand the damaged part off and then on the 800, 1200 and 1500 steps you take the tape off and blend.

Man, I do these 2 or three times a week ;)

I'll post some pics for you.

Cheers,

Pommy

UPDATE:

Here are some fly by night "blends"...

Only the TOP needed removing...

And only the top was fixed - bottom, untouched.

My work is always top notch and I never compromise.
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.
candyman

Post by candyman »

That looks good. You can get by sometimes but not in the majority of the cases. Better off to do it correctly from jump street.
pommy

Post by pommy »

candyman wrote:Better off to do it correctly...
I used 4 discs and 30 mins time.

So I should have used twice as many discs and twice as much time to get the same result?

There is no "correct" way. If you feel you have to start with 320 all the time AND remove ALL of the OEM coating, that's up to you.

But it's just one way, not the correct way.

And for the record - I don't just "get by" - I spend a lot of time perfecting methods, materials and results.

Cheers,

Pommy
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.