The Windshield Repair Forum water cooler for topics that do not belong in another forum. Feel free to put your feet up, relax, and get to know each other!
DavidB
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by DavidB »

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum. I browsed for a bit but just registered the other day. Quick background on myself....I'm still fairly new to the WSR industry. I worked in corporate america for the past 16 yrs, mainly in b2b sales, but do to hard times was faced with a layoff this past year. I got interested in WSR due to one of my best friends. He started his own business in another state and seemed to be doing rather well fairly quickly and enjoyed what he was doing. Like alot of people, I had always dreamed of owning my own business, so after the layoff, I figured it was the best time to do it. My friend was going to help me get everything rolling and train me. Unfortunately before I could get everything in order to fly out to where he lived, he unexpectedly passed away.
Not only was I in shock that one of my friends had died, but from a business stand point I had no clue what to do. Luckily he had sent me some info before passing and we talked almost daily, so I had some pieces to the puzzle but wasn't sure how to put them together. After passing, my friends son took over the business for a bit but eventually shut it down due to it being his dads passion, not his. I was blessed enough to be able to fly out and train with him before he shut it down, and therefore got some hands on experience, although brief. I've done a few cash jobs for people I know, and just did my first insurance job last week.
It's been a process trying to get everything going just because of lack of funds. I still don't think I have everything in order or even all the equipment I need, but I do have the basics. Not having everything just as I'd like it, worries me. Not only do I not want to give the industry a bad name, but I don't ever want to come off as unprofessional. You only have one chance to make a first impression, right?I'm a single dad raising 2 children on my own with no financial help at all (not a sob story, it is what it is), but I'm to the point that I have to make this work, and I have start quickly. If I continue to wait until everything is just right and I have ever little piece of equipment, marketing material, and training I want/need, my kids and myself will be operating our WSR business out of a cardboard box, and that's way unprofessional looking. Haha
I'm thankful for this site and the wealth of knowledge, because I'm quickly learning that although WSR isn't rocket science, there's waaaaay more to it than all the sites lead you to believe when promoting their products and why WSR is such a lucrative opportunity.
I'm sure I'll be posting several questions, and yes, I'll make sure I search through old posts prior to doing so. lol
Thanks for reading!
Davidb
jhickman1

Re: Newbie

Post by jhickman1 »

Welcome to the forum, David. Good luck to you and your new business. I know exactly what you mean about wanting everything to be "just right" before you get into th publics eye. I am the same way also but sometimes we need a push and an empty stomach may just be what it takes. Please dont take that the wrong way, I have been there too. Sometimes a "NEED to make money today" mentality is what I need to make me work a little harder. Again good luck and welcome!
J. Hickman
Liberty Auto Glass
Fayetteville, NC
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

Well said! Many of us in this industry achieved success because of a do or die situation we were in when we got started. Necessity is the best motivator! Welcome David, I hope your success surpasses your wildest dreams.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
jhickman1

Post by jhickman1 »

Also David, I know alot of guys get ticked off when somebody asks a question that has been asked or discussed before but, to me it dependes on the topic and when it was asked. If it was discussed a year or more ago, then I say ask it again. Tactics change, equipment changes, rules/regulations change, networks change, etc. So keep that in mind. Or maybe I should be addressing this to the other members lol
J. Hickman
Liberty Auto Glass
Fayetteville, NC
candyman

Post by candyman »

Good morning. My son is a single dad in San Diego attending college full time and has a 30 month old daughter. He is having a tough time at the moment, the same as you. He choose another route instead of learning the WSR & HLR skills I offered to train him. Now that his options are limited he is now taking this as a serious method to earn money quick. You dont need every little thing to get started. If you have a DK B250 bridge, Resin, Pit resin, Pit polish, curing tabs or film, curing lamp and a UV shield, probe and razor blades you have enough. Buy the other items you may need or desire as you earn money. Such as, Slide Hammer, additional bridge, extra resin (magnabond) or your preference, Chip savers, business cards, crack expander (almost never used after 4 years) etc... . Dont get wrapped up in advertizing, too expensive and not to your advantage at the moment. Do Door to door, Business -to - Business canvassing. Use your resources wisely and operate on a shoestring to build your business and earn some cash to live on. If you could work a deal with Brent look at the Headlight restoration. Its good money and Lots of work in your area. #1 Know your craft, Practice. #2 Sell yourself to potential customers. Dont be afraid of rejection. Just keep knocking on doors till you get a Yes. You can do this. Read the posts on this forum and look at DK training videos on the forum. There is a wealth of information here, just take the time to read them. You make your luck by working hard and getting a few breaks as you develop and grow. We are here if needed for advice or suggestions. Candyman
benswindshieldrepair

Post by benswindshieldrepair »

Welcome to the forum, David. I hope you've found the advice and insight on the forum helpful. I know that I have, though I've not been faced with the adversity that you have. Hopefully, your b2b background will give you what it takes to take WSR to the level that you need it to. The bottom line in WSR is attitude and you need to not be shy about what you do. You need to wear many hats: Teacher, safety advisor, and all around ethical business man in addition to repairing windshields. Godspeed brother!!