Lance Armstrong

The Windshield Repair Forum water cooler for topics that do not belong in another forum. Feel free to put your feet up, relax, and get to know each other!
glassdoctor

Re: Lance Armstrong

Post by glassdoctor »

Armstrong turned out to be a cheater, but then cycling is synonymous with doping... some say it may be the dirtiest sport there is. So the doping/ped cheating just seems par for the course and 7 times he beat a bunch of other doping cheaters. Best of the best... best at cycling and maybe the best at cheating with the best technology. Fact still remains the guy has amazing physical ability... drugs or no drugs.

The other thing though is that he seems to be a bad guy.... at least got corrupted with all the fame, etc and was willing to do whatever in order to protect his image/career. No excuse for that, but again look how common it is for people to lie when they get caught.

IMO, too much has been made of it, and I'm tired of hearing about it. Same as with the baseball players... same story day after day after day. And, we don't need government investigating stupid baseball players habits of the last 20 years. More important things to figure out IMO
benswindshieldrepair
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Lance Armstrong

Post by benswindshieldrepair »

I started my auto glass business as a pre-retirement venture. Currently, I work as a sheriff's deputy in a rural county in Montana. I followed Lance's saga pretty closely because it hits home for me in many ways. In short: Lance's lies, deception, and outright cheating has cheapened his sport and had a negative effect on everything he has touched. This includes very important things such as his cancer foundation and other charities. It is very unfortunate that his lies will affect people who depended on his integrity.

As it pertains to me: We all make mistakes. We are human. But we should always be expected to be honest in our dealings and take responsibility when we run afoul. As a cop, I have made serious mistakes that would not be as big of a deal if I were not a trusted member of the community. I have had to own up to my indiscretions in very brutally honest and embarrassing ways. And then it was last-week's news because honesty is not big news. That said, I have worked next to people who have shamed the law enforcement profession and the very fiber of our system of justice by blatant dishonesty. In their actions, everything they have touched, even the most honest and honorable things, have become the subject of severe scrutiny. The result is a less-safe community.

The result of Lance's decisions is the discredit of his charities and endorsements, many of which were important, and even life-saving.

The truth always feels better. It always sets you free. To quote Winston Churchill: "The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is."

God Bless.