Noise Noise and More Noise!

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
blemon56
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Noise Noise and More Noise!

Post by blemon56 »

I recently started doing HLR in RV parks all over the US to supplement my WCR business. My problem... The Groits RO Sander is very noisey. In any given RV park, there are usually people next to and across from the Headlight job I'm doing. On nice days they are usually sitting outside. I'm still new at this so I'm sanding for at least an hour or more. Noise is an issue for my situation.

Is anyone using a differnt RO sander that's quieter than the Groits unit?

Thanks in advance for your replys.
ChipMech
WCR & HLR
Old Blue 66

Re: Noise Noise and More Noise!

Post by Old Blue 66 »

To the best of my knowledge, Griots is the ONLY 3" unit on the market (decent unit and the best no nonsense warranty). There is another one that our host used to sell but from what I understand is not of the highest quality. Im right there with you, if I could find another one Id give it a try.

This things is as slick as they come. SUPER QUIET. Not a RA though.
http://www.amazon.com/Makita-DA3010F-8- ... O/ref=pd_1
Paul Weinstein
blemon56

Post by blemon56 »

Old Blue 66... Are you using the Makita for HLR? I'm using the Groits because it came with the kit. I'm new at HLR and assumed that all are using an RO sander/polisher.
ChipMech
WCR & HLR
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

blemon56 wrote:Old Blue 66... Are you using the Makita for HLR? I'm using the Groits because it came with the kit. I'm new at HLR and assumed that all are using an RO sander/polisher.
I tried the Makita but didn't like it. Its not a RO. Its sorta like a drill but on an angle like the RO. I bought one then sold it on eBay. I'm pretty sure that everyone here that's using a RO is using the Griot's. Again, I don't know of another 3" unit on the market. If there was one, Id try it in a heartbeat. Sometimes the noise is a factor for us as well.

The Makita is a great unit. Its just an entirely different way of sanding that I just couldn't grasp. The only benefit from using it was the noise. Its whisper quiet and has a terrific variable speed. It is a superior unit and should be for the price.
Paul Weinstein
pommy

Post by pommy »

Hi All,

Been a while since I've posted here ;)

Old Blue is quite right about the Makita, it IS very quiet and smooth, but somewhat an acquired taste (and expensive).

The bad news is that the Griot's IS noisy - in fact - the Griot's gets noisier as it ages.

I have a new one right here with me and my well-used one. Running them side by side, there is a significant difference.

In summary, there's no way around it.

Well, there are couple of ways - for yourself...I find it very intrusive and sometimes wear headphones myself to shut it out!

For the customer - you can speed up your process. As you're new to HLR, you may not find this useful, but to a seasoned HLR restorer, it may be very interesting...

I found that if you sand WITHOUT the backing pad - it is way, way, WAY faster. This is how I do the majority of mine now. I only used the backing pad when there are protrusions, so not to cause any flat spots.

WARNING - The discs are a tight fit to get straight on, there is the possibly of misalignment the disc and scratching the lens. (This isn't really an issue as it's only plastic we are dealing with and can be fixed).

I would suggest doing this on the 320 stage to get rid of the OEM coating much quicker with less disc usage to start with.

The whole process of sanding is much quicker. You have to try it to see that it changes the game a little... ;)

It cut the time of my sanding in half.

So back on track - noise is going to be a part of HLR, but you can be quicker, if that helps you out - cool :)

Have a great day!

Pommy
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

Another option would be a to mix in some hand sanding.... wetsand every other step or wetsand the rest of the way once you get to 1000 for example. Some guys do most if not all of their work by hand. If your back is up to it, that would definitely help the noise issue.

Or, consider beefing up the equipment to cut down sanding time and effort. I use a 5" random orbit... makita, bosch, dewalt, porter cable, etc. 8-) I think the sanders themselves are quieter than the griots, but it's still loud while it's on the lens. For me, a 3" sander is the last choice, behind 5", rotary, and by hand.

Hey Pommy has been a while huh? I haven't been on much myself... just a couple posts and a few PM the past few months
pommy

Post by pommy »

Hi Doc - hope you're going well mate? ;)

Blemon56 - Doc's point is pretty good - you could just do the RV stuff by hand? Or is that the only HLR you do?
I recently started doing HLR in RV parks all over the US to supplement my WSR business

All over the US? That's interesting - I didn't notice you said that earlier. So you travel around doing WSR's & HLR's?

Tell me more!

Cheers,

Pommy
pommy

Post by pommy »

pommy wrote:Hi Doc - hope you're going well mate? ;)

Blemon56 - Doc's point is pretty good - you could just do the RV stuff by hand? Or is that the only HLR you do?
I recently started doing HLR in RV parks all over the US to supplement my WSR business
All over the US? That's interesting - I didn't notice you said that earlier. So you travel around doing WSR's & HLR's?

Tell me more!

Cheers,

Pommy
blemon56

Post by blemon56 »

The "by hand" idea would work for me. So I would just buy equivalent grit sand paper through 800 or 1200, then do the 1500 and the 3000 with the Groits, clean the lens, and finish with 4.1. Maybe I would use the Groits for the 320 (or 180) to remove the old or damaged coating. Does that sound reasonable? Thanks for the input.
ChipMech
WCR & HLR
pommy

Post by pommy »

Hi,

Yes, in your situation with the RV's, I'd use the tool for the 320, that's where the really hard work is.

If you look around, you can buy a small hand held, circular sanding block. It fits the same velcro 75mm discs from the Delta kit.

You won't need to buy different paper then and it's really fast. But I'm not suggesting to get rid of the Griot's, just to be clear.

As you would still be using a Delta disc, I can post the info I guess - but I can't say where to buy the sanding tool from on the forum anymore, sorry.

Cheers,

Pommy