Windshield Repair Class

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
jhickman1
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Windshield Repair Class

Post by jhickman1 »

I work full time as a Firefighter and as part of my job, I have to become a fire service instructor by taking a class called Instructor Methodology. At the end of this class (end of march) I have to teach a 90 minute class on any subject except fire and rescue. Of course I chose WSR. Im looking for Ideas that you guys have that I can incorporate into my class. I can used videos, props, anything. I plan to leave out some details as these people are all close to me and I don't want them knowing all the WSR secrets of the trade. Any advice....
J. Hickman
Liberty Auto Glass
Fayetteville, NC
robert n

Re: Windshield Repair Class

Post by robert n »

Are you sure you want to teach WSR? they may realize how easy it is to do and my become your competition. If not, they will tell their friends or family, and they will become your competition. :o
jhickman1

Post by jhickman1 »

I don't intend to make it look easy. I will talk about all of it but I want to be sure and talk about the boring stuff like taxes, insurance, business licenses, etc. Hopefully that will deter some of the would-be competition
J. Hickman
Liberty Auto Glass
Fayetteville, NC
Glasseye
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Glasseye »

Wow! hold a groups attention for 90 minutes talking about WSR, that is daunting, especially if you are not trying to to tell them about WSR. I would steer clear of it completely. My suggestion would be to focus on something the group can get involved in, such as team building. Not related directly to Fire and rescue but nevertheless a relevant part of a good service. This would bring in far more audience participation, role play, analysis and would really allow you to use all the types of communication to achieve a great presentation.
candyman

Post by candyman »

I had 2 detaishops that called me about 4 years ago to do HLR & WSR for their client. After watching me do it several times they both do their own now using a supplier thay saw at the Vegas car show. I still get called when they mess up someones vehicle or dont want to take the risk on a high end vehicle. I even had clients that after 2 repairs was buying repair kits at WalMart. Thats a lot of free information: Stick to Instructing them on something like putting string on a weedeater or cooking muffin top's. I did that for a college exam a few years back.
benswindshieldrepair

Post by benswindshieldrepair »

I'm going to disagree with most of the above feedback. I think it is great that you are going to do an instruction on WSR and would strongly encourage you to do so. Don't worry about competition budding from the class and if it does so be it. You're instructing others who already have a career. Not to mention that, I train most of my customers as I work because many people are curious about how/what I do. Many of my return customers never had a windshield repaired in their life until I did theirs and they understood the process and saw value in what I was doing. You'll probably end up with a lot of bookings out of the deal because all those FD guys will be telling their family and friends about you.

That said, The training videos that DeltaKits provides are great instruction aids. I would incorporate them into your presentation. I would bring in a demo piece of glass to discuss laminated glass and do a live repair as well.

I would argue that there are not really any secrets on the "how-to" behind windshield repair - I turn your attention to this message board which is very publicly posted on the INTERNET. WSR is just like everything else - practice makes perfect. If one of your pupils wants to give you a run for your money by busting their ass just like you did to start a WSR business then so be it. Slug it out like good capitalists.

My biggest suggestion would be to focus solely on the repair part of the business rather than the "Business" part of the business. Don't discuss costs, profit margins (anything at all to do with money), don't talk about the taxes, insurance, licensing etc. Stick to what you really are passionate about, which is making good repairs. I'm a cop full-time and was a trainer for a while. I believe that in order to instruct people on something, the only way they will get anything out of it is if the instructor is passionate and genuinely interested and knowledgeable about the topic matter. It's FUN to teach others when you teach what you enjoy. Let us know how it goes!!!
ghost rider
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by ghost rider »

I think you nailed it Ben. We should use every opportunity to spread the word about windshield repair. Maybe we shouldn't call it a training class on how to become a windshield repairman, but a class on why windshield repair works and why you need a professional windshield repairman to repair your windshield. Also talk about the money saved and the green quality to the earth. Include a demo to show what a good repair is supposed to look like. So many people have seen bad repairs you are likely to imress a few.
jhickman1

Post by jhickman1 »

Thanks for the input guys. Last night in class I had to do a 10 minute class prefacing my 90 minute class at the end of the month. So right befor I got up to do it, I kinda called an audible. I changed my class away from the business of WSR to a "WSR class for the consumer". I found alot of info and pics on ROLAGS about quality ad non quality WSR. I will teach them what WSR is and the benefits of it. What ROLAGS is and how it affects WSR. Also, how they can know what proper repairs are and what improper repairs are. This way I am helping the WSR community by educating the public without "revealing secrets" as some are concerned about. I also intend to use some videos (maybe the DK videos) and I will probably take them out to do a repair in the parking lot. I can stretch some time out of that lol
J. Hickman
Liberty Auto Glass
Fayetteville, NC
candyman

Post by candyman »

That sounds better. You should do fine. Have a great weekend. We are expecting snow by 5pm today.
jhickman1

Post by jhickman1 »

Candyman, We dont have any precipitation down here but I know the temps have dropped alot today!!
J. Hickman
Liberty Auto Glass
Fayetteville, NC