Wavy distortions in windsield: A defect?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Hesson11
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Wavy distortions in windsield: A defect?

Post by Hesson11 »

I bought a new 2013 Mazda 3 a couple of months ago, and there are distracting, wavy, orange-peel-like distortions in the windshield directly in the driver’s line of sight. I’m wondering whether this is typical of today’s windshield glass or whether it might be considered a defect covered by the new-car warranty.

I live in Florida, and I believe there is a state law stipulating that the replacement of damaged windshields must be covered by insurance at no cost to the consumer. But I don’t know whether that extends to manufacturing defects.

I haven’t brought it up with my dealer yet because I wanted to first prepare myself with some unbiased information. My Internet searches were inconclusive until I found this forum. Although this appears to be more of a professional forum, I’d certainly appreciate your indulging me with any information you can give me. Thank you very much.
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Wavy distortions in windsield: A defect?

Post by screenman »

I would be going straight back to the dealer with it, there should be no noticeable distortion when looking straight out through the windshield. You can sometimes see distortion when viewed from the side though on most windshields.
SuperGlassDave

Post by SuperGlassDave »

More than half the windshields out there will show some distortion when viewed at an angle or from the side. Some of them are very easy to see, others not.

Check the logo of the windshield manufacturer to see if it is the original equipment or an aftermarket replacement. You will seldom see distortion with Pilkington, Carlite and most OEM windshields. Some of the aftermarket glass is made so poorly that you could probably expect some "waves" in the glass.

One other possible answer is that there was a windshield wiper arc in the car and the person who polished it out of the glass may have created distortion by removing glass unevenly. Is the car new, this won't be the case. If it's used, this could be something you could ask the manager. He could probably look it up, get his money back from the polisher and put a new piece of glass in your car.

Hope this helps. Dave Casey - SuperGlass Windshield Repair
Glasseye

Post by Glasseye »

Distortion in windshields is a manufacturing defect, caused by uneven heating/cooling of the glass during the process or it could also be imperfect bonding of the interlayers. This should be no problem for your dealer to rectify under warranty but make sure your dealer fits only Original Equipment (OE) glass as they will probably use an external windshield replacement company, to do it. Check your door-glasses and the Mazda logo you see on them should also be on the replacement glass.
Hesson11

Post by Hesson11 »

I can't thank you folks enough! I really appreciate it.

The windshield bears the Mazda logo (as do the other windows), under which appears, "Saint-Gobain Sekurit," if that's at all significant.

Just to clarify, this distortion does appear when looking straight through the windshield, not when looking through it at an angle. And yes, the car is new.

Again, thank you so much! I will definitely be visiting my dealer.

-Bob
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Walk just about any new lot and you will see the same thing these days. You will also find it in almost all ARG windshields. I've discussed with several ARG warehouse managers and they all say the same thing. Regardless of brand this is what is what is currently available in both the OEM and ARG markets.

If it is so bad that it distracts you while driving, which I believe you stated in your original post, I agree with everyone else...take it back to the dealer and demand they correct the issue. If however, it is merely something you notice when looking through the glass at an angle from outside the vehicle, I suggest you look at the windshields in other new vehicles from the same angle. I think you will find it is not the rule rather than the exception. I don't like it but I'm seeing it more and more in new cars and I'm told it is no longer considered a defect. Again, I'm not suggesting you should put up with poor quality if better quality is the available and if it is distracting to the driver it is unacceptable! Just pointing out that in my experience the overall quality of automobile windshields is not what it once was when it comes to distortion.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Glasseye

Post by Glasseye »

This video may help you understand what goes into making a windshield. Although most of the system is automated it still relies on human inspection for imperfections, therefore it becomes subjective. Other issues affecting current distortion quality are - size ( W/s are getting bigger and bigger), curvature ( the more a glass curves the greater risk of distortion) and glass thickness ( manufacturers using thinner and thinner panes of glass to make the windshield).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg3moEI9V5g
Hesson11

Post by Hesson11 »

Interesting stuff, Brent and Glasseye. Thanks very much!

-Bob
benswindshieldrepair

Post by benswindshieldrepair »

Distortions are a pretty common theme in ALL replacement glass. This doesn't make it excusable. I have had distortions in all makes of windshield, FYG, XYG, PPG, PGW, Pilkington, and others, OEM or not. It's up to the replacement tech to do proper quality control prior to installation. I would take it back to the dealer, armed with this new information, without hesitation.
Valentine

Post by Valentine »

I have noticed that what dictates a windshield's quality is not so much the manufacturer but the DOT number. With that said, even reputable brand/OEM windshields can have wavyness if they bear a 563 DOT. As stated before, distortion when viewed at an angle is almost unavoidable but never while looking at it directly.