about time

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
bill lambeth

about time

Post by bill lambeth »

Windshield Repair Tech Pleads Guilty to Insurance Fraud
July 9, 2013

by Jenna Reed,
Windshield repair technician Jacob Dufur, 22, has pled guilty to a felony charge of insurance fraud for submitting fraudulent work orders on windshield repairs, according to a statement from the District Attorney (DA) for Sacramento County, Calif.

An investigation by the California Department of Insurance’s Urban Auto Task Force uncovered the situation, DA Jan Scully said in the statement.

Dufur and an accomplice were employed as windshield repair technicians for a Chipio franchise that specialized in repairing small windshield cracks.

“Between May 7, 2011 and March 19, 2012, Dufur and an accomplice submitted 121 fraudulent work orders to the parent company, Chipio Inc., for payment on windshield repairs that neither of them had repaired,” according to the DA.

“After paying Dufur and his accomplice for the alleged cost of the windshield repairs, the parent company then submitted the work orders to the customers’ automobile insurance companies for payment,” the DA continued. “The franchise, the parent company and the insurance companies ended up paying $7,373 on the fraudulent work orders.”

Dufur faces a sentence of two years in state prison. Sentencing is set for July 24 in Sacramento County Superior Court.

An arrest warrant for insurance fraud has been issued for Dufur’s accomplice.

Share on twitter Share on facebook Share on linkedin Share on email Share on favorites Share on print | More Sharing ServicesMore Ways To Share
puka pau
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: about time

Post by puka pau »

The best thing that could happen for the W/S repair business would be for the Insurance industry to stop paying for repairs. Fraud - done. Networks - done. Steering - done. Inflated and subsidized prices paid for repairs - over. Safelite - marginalized. Oh, but the average tech would actually have to work for a living or exit the business. So ultimately, less competition. The free market would rule once again.

Cheers;

Puka Pau
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

For once I completely agree with you on this, it is something I have been looking forward to happening for 20 years now. We are over here now getting bigger excesses payable on both repairs and replacement so maybe moving in the right direction.
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

For once I finally agree with both of you ! :D
t4k

Post by t4k »

bill lambeth wrote:For once I finally agree with both of you ! :D
Me too! Wow, miracles do happen! :D
puka pau
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by puka pau »

Hope springs eternal

Cheers;

Puka Pau
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

The biggest problem I see with the big rah rah sales meeting companies is the foster a sense of getting over on the customer. I was at the Local Pilot one day when the orange vested CH&^IO crew was there. They approached me and informed me I was getting a free inspection and that i needed a couple chips repaired. When I laughed the supervisor came ove to explain how dangerous my chips were (little sand blast marks) LOL Asked her if she was Tarded and pointed to the writing on my shirt DOO DA DOO they are told everything is a chip and get the sale every industry has something like this dont let it bug you and just :lol: