What would you do ?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Igotskills
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Igotskills »

I have a question that I have been asking myself for a few months now and can't decide what to do so I thought I would seek some advise from the forum. I can't decide if I should quit my full time job and do windshield repair full time or just keep doind what im doing and try to do this in between everything else. I have done windshield replacement and repair full time for the last 5 years, I have been NGA certified for the last 4 years. The company I work for is a very good company with good benefits but im just not satisfied with the job and im not really happy with the way the glass industry is going, it seems like people don't care about how good the job is done as long as they can save a few dollars. I mean a guy has a brand new BMW and bitches about having to buy a new molding I just don't get it . I guess what I am asking is if you had a very good friend tell you he was going to get into windshield repair and quit his job would you recomened it or try to advise him against it. I work 6 days a week from 8 to 6 so I can't really even do it part time.If I am going to do it I want to do it right I don't want to try and do it half ass and set myself up to fall. I want to just put my 2 weeks notice in right now and give it everything I got but something is holding me back, what would you do . Also I don't have any kids just me and my wife so if it dident work out well I don't want to think about that it will work i just have to make it happen. Thanks for all your help
glassdoctor

What would you do ?

Post by glassdoctor »

I'm sure my advice in your case will be different than others here.

I have some insights in your market area. I will just caution you that if you go full time wsr, then you may need to go after retail for the most part... like the b-to-b approach.

You won't get much going after dealers. I know that the the dealer and rental accounts are locked up pretty solid in Omaha. You just have to trust me on this one.

This doesn't mean you can't get fleet work, just look a bit harder and don't count on any dealer work. You have a market plenty big enough to become another coitster method success story. That's where I would look...
optic-kleer

Post by optic-kleer »

Decisions,Decisions. Sometimes if we don't take a little risk, we'd stand still. If you are genuine, honest, work hard and take real pride in your work, you should succeed. If I were you I would take that chance. Also dont bother with the car dealers. Firstly, they dont want to pay you top rate, and secondly they will expect you to jump when they shout. There is more than enough business out there for you to keep busy. It just may take a little time to build. I would advise you to get on well with your competitors. The good ones will help you out, and the bad ones arent worth bothering with, and lastly get some Delta kit. At least give it a try. That will help get and keep the standard of your work up.

Good luck in whatever you do. Go on, take the plunge.

Regards
Eric Howe
Optic-Kleer
England
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

Have you been responsible for finding work with you current employer or are you sent to a location to work? The reason I ask is obviosly you are qualified to do the work but can you sell? Sales ability is the key to sucess plain and simple. A half way decent tech with the ability to sell could start earning a living imediatly by using the method Coit uses. knocking on doors is hard cold calling is a art if you have this ability jump in if you dont stay where you are
maxryde

Post by maxryde »

Igotskills, Your questions are leading me to believe you have some of the answers too. Have you considered where your current financial situation puts you in the scheme of things? Do you have a business plan? Could you wait 1 or 2 months to begin seeing a regular income? Do you have all the equipment you will need to begin? You'll need to replace those benefits, What is the cost of that and other items before you have actual spendable income...Etc You could probably do fine if you go into The Biz with eyes open and informed desicion making but don't start off bad or you may fail for that reason alone. Having a moderate financial cushion (a few bucks tucked away) is a good way to approach business for a first timer. Unforseen occurance/bills Can land you in the dumper less easily that way. How are your salesmanship/people skills? If you come off needy in your sales pitch it's the kiss of death on any sales!! What you are asking is really something you need to decide for yourself. Think about an extra repair or two each week to build cushion /salesmanship, while you are still employed etc, if you need more time to prepare for the Long haul. You don't appear happy with working for others. (I feel the same way) What I am saying is are you prepared for the good and the bad. Anyone can last a few weeks or months but it takes more to make it work for the duration!!! Anyway it work out for you best of luck. If I can help in any way I'll be glad to as I know many of the other folks here on this forum will also!!!! Scott
My best mentor one said " be fair with your priceing but never too low, be honest with your customer/competition, when the day is done be sure you have done "good works", and always leave something of value on the barganing table!!

While my friend and trainer/ mentor Ray has moved on, his words live.
MadMike

Post by MadMike »

One thing I've learned in the Military is never burn your bridges. Meaning if your tired of your job, thats ok, we all get fed up. When you get ready to step out, do it with class, style, and on good terms. Leave the door open in case you need to step back in. I've seen and experienced old bosses whom have left the military on a sour note, only to be hired right back as a civilian working directly for me. It was weird, and a shame they didn't have the forsite to depart on good terms. Not sure if that helped, I know first hand the "jitters" of stepping out and making a decision.

Like Maxryde says, make sure you can handle it financially for a few months till you get your momentum going. Then you'll do fine as long as your following the Coit method.
KC8ICI

General Liability Insurance

Post by KC8ICI »

Another option it that you can take a 3-6 mo leave of abscense fron your job that way you can go back if needed good luck either way

Alan
Igotskills

Post by Igotskills »

You guys/gals always no just what to say. I am so thank full for a place like this to turn to. I just want everyone to no it doese'nt go un-noticed you all do a great job. Glassdoctor you can't lead a horse to water and not let him drink, what do you mean the dealer and rental business is locked up? Are you from around here your profile is not filled out. Anyway thats ok I am a go getter and I will drum up business some how. As far as being able to sell I think that would be a strong point of mine. Before becoming a windshield installer I was a car salesmen (I got the job from the company that replaced the windshields for the car dealership) and before that I spent a few years selling vaccumes while I was going to collage. Its been a while since I have been in the sales game but like my dad always tells me I am a born salesman if there is such a thing. I would like to hear some more succes stories if anyone has more also how anyone else delt with this situation.
CPR

new to wsr field.need help!

Post by CPR »

Here is my opinion on the subject, I graduated from the school of hard knocks. Was in the paint touchup biz for around 6 months and went down in flames. Even though I had the skills to do excellent work at a fair price there was allways someone there to do it cheaper, had a real hard time keeping a steady work flow.

Went back to my electronics job in October for a regular paycheck and even though it's tough to go to work everyday doing something I hate gotta do it.

Now to the greener side, my wife is happy, we are not struggling with bills and I have a nice part time biz to play with. I meet alot of people at work to start the ground work with and cant wait for the day when wsr gets in the way of my regular job. Do as much as you can in your spare time, perfect your repairs, test the waters before you jump in.

Again, just my opinion but then I learned the hard way.
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

No I'm not in Omaha area, but I know who is. I am not going to drop any names on here of course. The guys doing all the dealers there are really good... they have had almost a monopoly on the area for many years now and I don't see that changing any time soon.

I just wanted to give you a heads up, so you can focus on a different source for work. Maybe you weren't counting on dealers anyway.

As some here will tell you, you may be better off staying as far away from dealers as you can. :wink: