Combination Break

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
graham
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Combination Break

Post by graham »

Hi there everyone
Just starting out in this business and have a question re combination break.

If after trying to fill, all but one leg doesnt want to, this may be due to the leg not being connected to the break. The info seems to suggest drilling at an angle to leg to allow resin in.

Question: does this mean drilling thru the wet resin then re-working it. If so will this ruin the bur with resin or should I just drop it into some meths to clean it?

Cheers. I am a newbie but have 3 spare windscreens, Delta 250 bridge etc and plan on heeps of practice before going public!! Can produce great bullseyes, cracks and some strange looking combos, and can seem to drill OK using the pistol like Dremel. Number of repair attempts so far......8 lol
Clarity Glass
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Combination Break

Post by Clarity Glass »

Before drilling the tip, I would try to connect crack to impact point with slide hammer. Carefully start with a gentle tap and progress with a little more force. Most of the time it will connect and you'll get a better looking repair.
graham

Post by graham »

Thanks very much for that.

Theres a lot to learn but I am willing to put in the hours practicing first. Living in Tasmania, Australia there is no-one to teach me so am flying by the seat of my pants!

This Forum is great for tip etc. Using Delta all the way. Their videos help a lot, too.

Thanks again
screenman

Post by screenman »

Graham, make sure you are no where near a source of UV, even in the shade the resin will cure, this is a major issue for a lot of bad repairs I see. Very few repair techs in the UK use a UV shield of any description.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

I'm not a drilling fan but when I come across a combo before I start if it looks funky I will drill abd give it a little pop.
graham

Post by graham »

Thanks everyone. This business is definitely part science and part art...thats what keeps it interesting!
blemon56

Post by blemon56 »

Question related to this... When a leg on a combo doesn't fill, should you first try to flex the glass to allow the leg to connect? Or could this cause the legs that are already filled to extend? I'm also not a big drilling fan, but will do it when needed. I know others do a lot of flexing from the inside. I'm still a bit cautious from a repair gone bad.
ChipMech
WCR & HLR
screenman

Post by screenman »

Very few legs need flexing from the inside, only those that are surface breaks may need it, any subsurface one's it would be counter productive. Think of an upside down /\ push it up from the bottom and it will close up this is subsurface which is most of what we deal with. Surface would be a V push that from the bottom and it will open more.

OK not the best diagrams but I am limited with my computer skills, in the classroom I would show it and demonstrate it far better.

Flexing is a friend, embrace it.
graham

Post by graham »

Thanks screenman. Whereabouts in Lincs are you..my sister is in Wainfleet St Mary. In case she needs your help!
screenman

Post by screenman »

Bardney, which is 33 miles away from your sister.