Air left in crack

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
jdn
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Air left in crack

Post by jdn »

Just started practicing. I've done 3 practice chips so far on a windshield I pulled from the junk yard. The first one was a bulls eye that turned out pretty good. The other 2 were star. One was a combination. I'm not happy with the way they turned out. I couldn't quite get all the air out, so it left a dark spot. I followed the directions in the book. 5 minute pressure cycle, 30 second vacuum cycle, 2 minute pressure, 30 second vacuum, 2 minute pressure. Even did a few extra pressure and vacuum cycles to try to get air out. I'm useing the mobile mini kit with the screw type injector. And how do you know how much pressure and how much vacuum you're actually getting? Help is very much appreciated.
Mr Bill
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Air left in crack

Post by Mr Bill »

Did the dark spot appear after you cured it?
jdn

Post by jdn »

It looks like the resin never reached that part of the crack.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Tight star breaks and combo breaks should not be a problem.

If you haven't called tech support yet I recommend doing so when you are in front of your practice windshield and ready to do a repair. We will walk you through the entire process and answer all of your questions. Phone support is not as good as hands on training but far better than anything I could provide on the forum in my opinion. Having a dialog while you are actually performing the repair is extremely helpful for most technicians and will help keep you from developing bad habits that are hard to break later.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

! It is very important to observe the repair before you begin to fill! You are probably having hard time on whether it is filled or not ! Training from the manufacturer is good but practice is the only way to learn!
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Very good point Bill. Inspect the damage from all angles prior to and during the repair process, noting the changes in appearance.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
screenman

Post by screenman »

jdn, are you working outside or inside?
t4k

Post by t4k »

bill lambeth wrote: Training from the manufacturer is good but practice is the only way to learn!
Practice is the best way to learn, AFTER you have been trained by the manufacturer in the correct way to do a repair!
jdn

Post by jdn »

I'm practicing in the garage. I'm going to call tech support next time I practice. Might just be something simple that I'm doing wrong. My kit didn't come with the dvd. I'm wondering if I should order it.
screenman

Post by screenman »

jdn in the garage with door shut and away from the windows I hope, premature curing from indirect UV stops many a leg from filling. You need the DVD and hands on training if you really want to make a go of this trade, call Delta at the very least.