Blue towel

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Aussie lights
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Blue towel

Post by Aussie lights »

Does it matter how you fold the blue towel ?
I currently cut my towel in quarters then with one quarter fold it half and half again so it's about 2 fingers width then fold it over itself to make it thicker.
Is there a better way? I seem to get mix results when applying the infinity
Old Blue 66

Re: Blue towel

Post by Old Blue 66 »

Aussie lights wrote:Does it matter how you fold the blue towel ?
I currently cut my towel in quarters then with one quarter fold it half and half again so it's about 2 fingers width then fold it over itself to make it thicker.
Is there a better way? I seem to get mix results when applying the infinity
Cut or fold?
Paul Weinstein
Aussie lights

Post by Aussie lights »

I get 1 sheet cut in quarters. Then fold in half length ways and half again lenth wats so it's about 2 fingers width then half the length so it roughly fingers length
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

I think thats where your challenge is when applying the coating. You are using too thin of a towel. I use one sheet and fold in in qtrs to the width of about two finders, then fold the long way in half to pick up a smudge on a frill or a bumper. You need the padding to absorb the coating or else its just going to go on to thick and run.

Paul Weinstein
Aussie lights

Post by Aussie lights »

Thanks for the help , I did notice it was running a bit ,so i have used a thicker towel. My problem is that with the thicker towel it seems to absorb more but also aeems the towel dries out half way through a medium size light. I'm using the 12ml part A to 3 ml to part B.
Do you guys saturate the blue towel before starting? At this stage I have to do 2 coats to cover the light properly
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

Aussie lights wrote:Thanks for the help , I did notice it was running a bit ,so i have used a thicker towel. My problem is that with the thicker towel it seems to absorb more but also aeems the towel dries out half way through a medium size light. I'm using the 12ml part A to 3 ml to part B.
Do you guys saturate the blue towel before starting? At this stage I have to do 2 coats to cover the light properly
I just barley dip in in the coating for each light. Just enough to get the bottom quarter of the towel wet. I dont let it soak or anything.

If yo do get thick swipe strokes, thats ok because the product is self leveling. If that happens on every light, you're using too much coating
Paul Weinstein
candyman

Post by candyman »

I do the same as Old Blue. I don't use up all the solution at once. After I finish one lens, I flip it over for the other. My mom eats a lot of apple sauce, that come in little plastic cups. She washes them out and I use them to pour my solution in once I've mixed it in the measuring tube. It works great and cost nothing for me. I use a clean one for each set of HLs. Too thin of a towel will create dripping. too thick will soak too much and dry out, causing a drag.
Aussie lights

Post by Aussie lights »

Thanks guys for your help, being a newbie with the infinity I will adventually get the end result, patience isn't my best virtue. Especially when you spend so much time to get them right by sanding to have a smudge mark or run, ruin a great result.