safelite denial...

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
mjstox

Post by mjstox »

I'm trying to get setup with safelite. After sending in my application this is the letter I got.

Dear Mark,

Thank you for your interest in our National Referral Program. We regret to inform you that we cannot process your request at this time.

We are satisfied with the quality and quantity of our auto glass partners in the area.

We will keep your request on file. If, in the future, we find it necessary to change or add additional partners, we will contact you.

Thank you again for your request.

Sincerely,

David B. McPhaden
Manager, Western Region
SGC Network

My question is why did I get rejected.

Second is what course of action should I take after this letter.

thanks,
Mark J.
glass tek

jeff

Post by glass tek »

Mark,

I recieved the same response just a few days ago. My rejection letter was from Troi Miller, Manager Eastern Region. It took some time and a little persistance, but I finally reached Mr. Miller on the phone. My application was rejected because I have not been in business for 1 year, or so he said. He said it was a judgement call on his part because there was a risk I would not remain in business for 1 year. There was no negotiating with this guy. He suggested I call back next March and they would review my file. Funny thing is, Lynx accepted me as did State Farm & Allstate. The way I see it, SGC's loss!!!! :-({|=
mjstox

Post by mjstox »

Doens't make sense to me. I'm going to use ACT now and end up processing though them anyways.

Oh by the my business has been around 11 years and just adding wrs as addon. So I can't see where the one year rule would fly.
gold star wsr

Post by gold star wsr »

It is not necessary to be "with" safelite, in order to get paid by them. Call the toll-free number for their insurance glass claims, and when the person answers "Thank you for calling (insert inurance company name here), adminstered by Safelite. How may I help you?" you say "My name is (insert your name here), I have a (insurance co.) insured in need of windshield repair, and s/he wants my mobile service to do the work." They will ask to speak to the insured (who you have prepped already for what kind of info they are going to ask ... policy number, date of loss, was anyone else at fault, etc.). They will verify the coverage and then ask to speak to you again to get your shop information, and give you the referral number. I do this all the time with no problem. I dont know about other placess, but in this state, the customer has the right use the service provider of their choice, so I have had very little problem with safelite trying to steer toward their own people.
gold star wsr

safelite

Post by gold star wsr »

I do the same thing with LYNX too, with no problem. Be sure you prep your client first, though> Lynx tells them that I am not on their list of "approved" service providers (implying that my work may somehow be substandard), and they do not guarantee my work. I make it very clear that they do not guarantee anybody's work, and that not being on their list of "approved providers" is my choice, not theirs.
desertstars

safelite, etc

Post by desertstars »

It appears to me goldstar that you have had no problems simply because you "prep" the customer or because you call the network on a conference call WITH the customer or both.

I agree.

Either way is a wise choice the second being the better of the two.

And, for the new people and even some old.

NEVER, NEVER, EVER let the potential customer call a claim to a network on their own!

If you know not what steering is as far as one particular network is concerned; you'll learn quick enough.

We can't assume that the newbies in this business understand the intricacies of network billing even in spite of the ten pounds of bits posted in that regard.

I'm sorry, but I will continue to beat that dog that don't hunt into the ground until it can't stand up again.

And then hammer it one more time for good measure.
desertstars

safelite billing

Post by desertstars »

It doesn't fly at all, mjstox, simply because it's an emu.
gold star wsr

jeff higgins

Post by gold star wsr »

At one time, I was on board all the networks. I jumped through all their hoops and signed all their contracts in the mistaken belief that this would be good for my business. I am at least 60 miles in any direction, from the next nearest windshield repair shop, and still the number of actual referrals I received from any of them was fewer than 10 in a year's time, even though the clients had to drive into the city to get the work done...
so some of my advertising now says "Why go to the repair, when the repair come to you !"

Yes, I do prepare my clients ahead of time, it has already been said by another in this forum that that is a necessity. In my advertising now I stress that their ONLY call should be to me. I have new advertising coming out soon that will have a 'disclaimer' to the affect "notice: Gold Star is not responsible for repairs performed by any other shop" ... give the clients something to think about.
Coitster
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Coitster »

Yep, you guys are right. Make sure you prep your customers first. Safelite has a habbit of makeing things hard on the new guy. As long as you let them know how the network works then you should have no problem.
David
Coitster
Glass