What is the best type of lighting to use in a shop

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
JamesM
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

What is the best type of lighting to use in a shop

Post by JamesM »

Hello guys I am going to start doing chip repairs inside of a shop what kind of lighting do you guys have indoors so you can see the chips and legs well? It is a three bay shop with one florescent light in it and has no windows so I need to add adequate lighting. I do the repairs outside right now but with summer coming in south Texas I want to be inside. Thanks in advance for the info
ghost rider
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: What is the best type of lighting to use in a shop

Post by ghost rider »

I may not be the best person to answer this since the lighting in my own shop sucks, but I hope to upgrade mine soon. The obvious answer is LED although flourescent is also a good option. Position of the lights is more important than what kind you use. I was repairing a car in a dealers detail shop yesterday and the lights were angled the same as the W/S. the reflection and glare made it very hard to see the damage. I am considering flat panel LED's mounted on some type of movable mount like a flat screen TV wall mount or something similar. That way I hope to be able to adjust the light to eliminate most of the reflection and glare no matter what angle the W/S is. Another option would be to buy one of those portable LED's on a pole like the PDR guys use. Roll it up to the car when you need it, roll it back to the corner when you're done. hope this helps!
JamesM
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: What is the best type of lighting to use in a shop

Post by JamesM »

That was kind of what I was thinking about putting up the led shop lights and a mobile light stand. Thanks For the input.