Quick Background and Some Questions.

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
New2chiprepair
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Quick Background and Some Questions.

Post by New2chiprepair »

Hello, I am new to chip repair. I only recently stumbled upon WSR because I started a job at a jiffy lube about 6 months ago. The store I work at has a chip repair kit by glass mechanic that was never used so I decided to teach myself through YouTube and looking around this forum. Now I have decided I would prefer to do this for myself instead of a jiffy lube for minimum wage. I have signed up for the factory class already because I am by no means a professional yet but I want to know what I should do after that? (I plan on getting a kit and windshields so I can practice them). Should I start as a sole proprietor or an llc? Any recommended POS systems? Any information on how I should proceed would be much appreciated. Thank you and I appreciate the wealth of knowledge on these forums.
SteveK

Re: Quick Background and Some Questions.

Post by SteveK »

I'm new at this as well, but here is what I have learned so far. YOUR BUSINESS PLAN IS KEY! You really need to plan out your expenses and forcased initial monthly revenue for the first year. I overlooked things like business taxes, insurance, payment processing fees, marketing costs and website fees.
It's very important to have the full picture of how much it's going to cost to operate.

Next is market research. How much competition is in your area? How much are they charging? How much work do they get per day and month? The best way to do this is go talk to them. Maybe you have a vehicle that needs a chip repair. Take it to them, get a quote, ask questions, and see what they do right and wrong from the perspective of a customer.

Marketing! The big companies and franchises saturate most markets with commercials and catchy jingles that everyone and their mother knows by heart. How do you set yourself apart from them? What makes you better? You have to find an angle that is different and unique. Brand your company around this. If you create a catchy slogan, logo or other marketing device, be sure to research getting a trademark.

Stop by your local chamber of commerce. They have free programs to help you get started. Joining is also a great way to get connected with potential car dealer and car wash clients. Plus the free beer at the mixers is always nice!

Bottom line, can you make a profit? Some markets are just hard to tap into if you are just working out of your personal vehicle. I was told that I was just a guy with a sign on my truck and that anyone can do that. Sometimes going big is better. Taking out a small business loan, renting commercial space and getting a vehicle wrapped in professional signage can make you look more established.

But again, if you are just doing stone break repair, how much money are you going to actually make? You have to have realistic goals, understanding of the market, a business plan and a unique approach to get your share of that market.

Good luck to you!
New2chiprepair

Re: Quick Background and Some Questions.

Post by New2chiprepair »

Thank you very much Stevek for taking the time to reply with so much info. I have some work and research to do as well as much planning. I appreciate the passing of wisdom.