Newbie needs help

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
thedentdude
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by thedentdude »

Hey all - I have recently started WS repair to add on to my PDR business. I am having some problems though. I am using the ProVac 2000 and Glas-Weld 2010 Clear or 2020 Amber resin. My problems are:
1. star breaks are not filling completly
2. there are times, like today, when the star wants to continue cracking
3. no matter what I do I am getting areas that are not filling in
Any help would be great. I really enjoy WS repair, but need to be able to charge people for the work.

Thanks
Tony DiLorenzo
The Dent Dude
http://www.thedentdude.com
Coitster

Newbie needs help

Post by Coitster »

I wish I could help you with your questions however I do not use the GlasWeld system. Couple questions though, are you flexing the cracks on the starbursts?
David
Coitster
Glass
thedentdude

Post by thedentdude »

I am flexing the glass and that is when the starburst wants to run on me.
Tony DiLorenzo
The Dent Dude
http://www.thedentdude.com
Bill D

Post by Bill D »

You are using Glas-Weld tools. Call them and they can walk you through your problems better than anyone else. Good people.
My guess is you have not learned proper flexing techniques, and have the injector screwed too tight to the glass, thus closing parts of the legs.
I have just purchased 2 Delta tools and now find I've been doing things backwards for 14 years! Take time to practice with your tools before going "PRO", and you won't embarrass yourself. Good luck.
Delta Kits

Auto Insurance

Post by Delta Kits »

I would agree that having the injector too tight to the glass could be a major factor in the problems you're having.

Hopefully someone who uses Glasweld equipment can answer your questions.

GlasWeldTech, any thoughts?

Sunshine WR?
Delta Kits, Inc.
StarQuest

Post by StarQuest »

Tony,

Just a :idea: Seeing that your having some initial problems with your repairs....consider looking for an experienced WSR tech in your area to train with for a awhile. It would really help speed up the your learning curve. Possibly someone that has some interest in learning PDR :wink: If your not comfortable sharing your trade skills for another, then I suggest you buy a practice shield and just keep experimenting on repairs until you feel comfortable with the results. Also don't forget to spend some extra time searching this forum for previous post concerning these problems. This forum contains a goldmine of info and the best part is, it's "FREE" :D
GlasWeldTech

Post by GlasWeldTech »

dentdude,
I have found that I don't flex the glass if it is anywhere near what I think is warm much less HOT! I only flex cracks (from the inside). This is what I have found to work for me in the HOT south.
I would suggest getting the GP100 resin for the really tight star breaks. This resin will fill the tight legs quickly but will not hide the break as well as the amber tint will. If all legs are not small and tight I will first put in a drop or 2 of 2010 amber and then add a couple drops of the GP100 resin to hide the break better. I have 2 or the Pro Vac 2000's and 2 of the older style pro vacs. When the white seal touches the glass I only add about an 1/8th of a turn more to the injector. I had the same problem somewhat when I first started and this is what I found out was hurting me. The more pressure you add with the injector you may be actually closing up the break and causing resin to NOT flow properly.
On combo breaks I will usually add 2020 and 2010 or the GP100 depending on how tight the legs are. I use 2030 for bullseyes.
On flexing you have to apply small amounts of pressure and when doing this after you know what to look for you can tell when you are doing it correctly.If I flex at all I get on the leg at the point where the resin has stopped and you will then be able to see a change in the leg from the point of the scratch awl BACK TOWARDS the injector and after a few seconds let up on the pressure and the resin should have moved farther. To much pressure and it is sure to run.
In closing, back off the injector pressure and use the proper resins. You can also call and speak with Randy at Glas Weld and he is a big help. Lots of good info here on the forum no matter what equipment you are using. If need more help PM me. Hope this helps you. If possible attend one their training classes, well worth the money. Any class is better than none but I always try to go with the same equipment and training.
GlasWeldTech

Post by GlasWeldTech »

Dentdude,
You should be able to repair most breaks with only 2 cycles. I mount my injector to the repair. Pull a 2 minute vacuum, and go to pressure for 2 minutes, then do it all over again. Then I cure the repair for 1 minute and then cure the pit for 1 minute but we use the Pro Cure lamp.When going into pressure and screwing in the injector as SOON as the white lower seal shows pressure or flares I quit with the pressure. On the 2 nd cycle the repair should clear up. On extreme stars or combos more cycles will be needed or extra time allowed for each cycle. This will come with practice. I have tried other resins and most are good and some are SNAKE OIL and you will learn which ones you can trust and most will send free samples. What I do with samples is fix my friends breaks for free and watch them over time to see how they look. The best resins for me have been Glas Weld,Delta,Janvil,Glass Mechanix,Opticlear,Espirit has a 1 resin for all repairs and it works good but is pricey. Another factor is drilling, if you drill the break it will usually repair faster but then you have to hide the drill bit hole so use the smallest bit you can. This is another case of Chevy vs GMC vs Ford vs Dodge. In this business if you answer someone's question then you usually open up another can of worms from somebody else. Hope this has helped someone here and I am not singling out dentdude. If you are fixing cracks I use the cheapest hand lotion I can buy at Wal-Mart for my suction cup lube and have had excellant results.
Delta is a great help for us all by allowing us to post here on this forum. I have had posts edited and deleted and after thinking about them they were right in doing it. We will NOT all always agree on equipement, supplies, etc. but I really think we all pull together for the most part. We are a lot stronger united than apart. Lots of good yahoo chat goes on and I just upgraded the home pc and have not installed this again as of yet. I even here Coister will buy everybody that rides with him for the day a HUGE TEXAS steak and all the free Coronas they can drink. Now this guy has class. One day I will get my steak and beer and pick his brain.

Corrected company name per below post
GlasWeldTech

Post by GlasWeldTech »

Oops! I mentiod Liquid resins. I meant to say Esprit has only 1 resin for all breaks. My mistake I have never tried Liquid resins so can't comment. Please excuse my oversight on names. :)
CPR

Post by CPR »

GlasWeldTech, nice post there is alot of good info in it and I for one am going to print it out and keep it in my tool kit. There are sooo many times when things are not going my way and all you have to do is go back to the basics, thanks.