Anyone from the board operating in Canada

Posts from Old Forum (Pre August 2003)
Anonymous

Free Biz Cards

Post by Anonymous »

I'm thinking about taking this up as a sideline. I just had my own windshield repaired at a billable of $80 Canadian going to my insurance company. The place used a very hands off approach with an electrical vacuum pump that didn't do a great job.
I'm pretty good at doing things like this, and after seeing whats involved and with the amount of sand (and little rocks) that get spread on the highways here over the winter, I'm thinking of taking this little leap.
I would operate on a mobile basis typically on Saturdays since the glass shop is closed then :-) But with our cold winters, could I do a good job outside in the winter. If I can't do a good job with the repair I'd be less inclined to do it.
So any advice for me in this situation? This forum has been informative so I'm feeling inclined to get a starter kit from here.
Any advice appreciated!

Anyone from the board operating in Canada

Post by Guest »

Welcome to the forum Haith!

$80CAD is about the average actually, but not for a lousy repair. The great thing about windshield repair is that you truly can work as many hours as you want, full time or just one day a week. Obviously, the more often you work, the more money you make, but it allows you to get in to the business slowly if you desire.

As far as winter work, you just need to take precautions. Make sure the windshield is heated (with defrosters for instance), and make sure that the resin is approximately the same temperature as the windshield.

The people around here are great, so don't hesitate to ask any more questions!

Jeff Higgins
Delta Kits, Inc.
jhiggins@deltakits.com
http://www.deltakits.com
Anonymous

Re: Anyone from the board operating in Canada

Post by Anonymous »

Thanks for the welcome. Forums are a fantastic source of info.

Just wondering of the posters here, do most people do mobile repairs, at their own facility/building, or a combination of both. What percentage of the repairs you do are insurance jobs vs out of pocket for the customer?

Hope you don't mind questions...there will be a lot :-)