Machine restoration vs Hand restoration

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Machine restoration vs Hand restoration

Post by Brent Deines »

Is anyone doing headlight restoration by hand, or is everyone using a sander and polisher?
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
MJDShield

Re: Machine restoration vs Hand restoration

Post by MJDShield »

I was doing it by hand and was not too pleased with the results . I just purchased the HL kit from Dvelup on everyones recommendation so I am looking foward to seeing the results with this new kit.Mike
Chips-B-Gone

Post by Chips-B-Gone »

I do most of mine by hand. They come out great. I use the Dvelup system.
gt_repair

Post by gt_repair »

I started out with two differant brand systems and heard about DVELP and I started doing it by hand to get the real feel of what I was doing then I bought there socalled orbital sander, not worth the money and I did let them know the changes they should have made by changing out the trigger for a veritable, then Ben told us all about the Matebo and I bought it, Well worth it.
Now I am stuck with a socalled orbit something.
harrellbenjamin

Post by harrellbenjamin »

I will use a combo of the two types of techniques.I first will spray with a yellow-X type chemical and remove crust-dirt etc. with a scotch pad.Wipe dry and then use a 500 grit disc (w/sander)to completely remove old U/V coating.I then will wetsand w/1000-1500(hand or sander) and buff clear with compound until lens look shiney and new(use a 3M dimple pad 3 or 5" for better control).I final wipe with rubbing alcohol until squeeky clean and the apply top coating.I have very extensive damage from U/V here on the Gulf coast and as such might be a little longer to do here but the results are 100% and the volume is excellent.

Its nice to be able to completely recon a car for a dealer and makes you much more valuable then just a "one trick pony"

I will do a bumper blend-repair for $125.00 -200.00 (1-2.5 hrs)..add t/up 45.00-65.00 fix w/shield for 35.00 W/Sale.and restore headlights 55.00 w/sale and it really pays off.I do the headlights/w-shield/t/up while waiting on things to dry etc.With the time and expence of fuel etc I find its alot more profitable to keep working most of the day at one or two location then chasing w/shield stars all across the country JMHO.........the more you can do the more you will make and will become very valuable to your customers instead of just a necessary evil.........multi tasking is where the $$$$$$$$$$$$$ is at.
mrchip

Post by mrchip »

jepson variable speed makes cleaning hl a whole lot easier than by hand..started by hand and soon realized it was a lot of work ..and time..using sander is much quicker and results are great..harrellbenjamin..whats the formula for your yellow x cleaner?
scott890

Post by scott890 »

Question for the people sanding by hand.......... on average, how long do you spend on each grade of sandpaper?
harrellbenjamin

Post by harrellbenjamin »

scott890;29977 wrote:Question for the people sanding by hand.......... on average, how long do you spend on each grade of sandpaper?
Until its done correctly............start with 500 and sand smooth next 1000 and sand smooth ,finish up with 1500 or 2000 and then polish with compound and seal lights
Bois
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Bois »

Like Harrellbenjamin says "Until it's done correctly." I usually start with 600, rinse & wipe dry, check and then repeat process until it looks good. Then I use 1000 until it's really smooth and water beads. Then buff, clean with Yellow X and re-coat.
Dale...
No job is so simple that it cannot be done wrong.