just ordered..

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: just ordered..

Post by t4k »

Brent Deines wrote:The Delta Kits warranty for our headlight restoration service is a 3 Year Customer Satisfaction Warranty. If the customer is not happy with our headlight restoration service for any reason Delta Kits will provide the restoration service again free of charge. We have not been offering our headlight restoration service for 3 years yet, but we have done a substantial amount of research and testing in various different climates that gives us the confidence to offer this warranty to our service customers. To date not a one single customer has been dissatisfied with our headlight restoration service.

The Delta Kits warranty for our headlight restoration chemicals is a 1 Year Product Performance Warranty. If the product is used within one year of the purchase date and fails to perform to our customer's satisfaction, the product will be replaced free of charge. Again, we have done extensive testing that has given us the confidence to offer this product warranty. To date we have not had a single warranty claim on our headlight restoration chemicals.

Unfortunately we cannot warranty our customer's work as we have no way to control the preparation prior to the application of the UV coating and no way to ensure the proper application of the product. It is the same with our windshield repair products. We offer a lifetime warranty on our service and a 1-2 year shelf life warranty on our resins depending on packaging options, but we cannot warranty the technician's work because the success or failure of the job is partially determined by the skill of the technician and and the quality of the equipment being used to apply the product.

Although we are very comfortable with our 3 year headlight restoration service warranty and frankly expect our average customers to get far more life than that out of the coating we apply to protect the lens, there are several variables that you should take into consideration when offering a warranty on your headlight restoration service.

1. Your own experience. What is your customer satisfaction experience?
2. Your local climate. Sunlight, heat, gravel, salt and chemicals on the road, wind, pollution, etc. These are all things that affect the original coating and aftermarket coatings.
3. Customer's driving habits. Does your average customer drive 10,000 miles a year or do they drive 100,000 miles a year?
4. Customer's vehicle maintenance habits. Car wash or hand wash? How often? Garaged or outside, etc.

Thanks Brent...that's just what I needed to know.
Ricersux

Post by Ricersux »

My kit arrived today and all I can say is WOW!

The first HL took about 45 mins and the second took under 20 mins and the result are fabulous. I feel I should have no problem selling this service. I imagine I will become more proficient in a short amount of time and it won't take me as long to achieve great results.

Only questions I have is what to do with the left over UV liquid in the cup?

Can I use a plastic dixie cup then just throw the remainder away cup and all?

Kudos to Delta Kits for a great product!
-Eric
CLEARVU INC.
Indianapolis, Indiana
Deacon

Post by Deacon »

I just used the Delta Kits uv sealer and catalyst on 4 sets of headlights today and I was amazed at the ease of application and the results so far. I had been using another sealer with high uv properties but discovered that over a short period of time(3 or 4 months) it would yellow (amber, as the manufacturer calls it). Question; has there been any reports of ambering with the Delta Kits product?
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Ricersux wrote:My kit arrived today and all I can say is WOW!

The first HL took about 45 mins and the second took under 20 mins and the result are fabulous. I feel I should have no problem selling this service. I imagine I will become more proficient in a short amount of time and it won't take me as long to achieve great results.

Only questions I have is what to do with the left over UV liquid in the cup?

Can I use a plastic dixie cup then just throw the remainder away cup and all?

Kudos to Delta Kits for a great product!
Thank you for the kind words. To answer you question about proper disposal of unused chemicals, laws vary from state to state and change frequently. In most states disposal requirements will be similar to paint disposal requirements, which may be simply allowing to harden and throwing in the trash. You need to check Federal, State, and Local laws governing waste disposal and do whatever is required in your area.

In Eugene our local environmental authority is the Lane County Department of Public Works Waste Management Division and they have websites where you can download information from the Department of Environmental Quality and find links to their hazardous waste disposal site where you can get information about proper disposal of everything from florescent light bulbs to razor blades, to liquid chemicals. The also list phone numbers where you can call to get more information specific to the products you are using so if you are unsure of local disposal laws. Be sure to have your MSDS handy if you call for information. That will save you a great deal of time and frustration.

We typically use any left over chemical to coat the tail lights which really brightens them up and leaves us with no waste to dispose of. We just wipe any remaining residue from the reusable cup with a paper towel and we are on to the next job. If we do have chemicals or containers to dispose of we follow the guidelines laid out by the DEQ and Lane County Waste Disposal. Oregon is a "very" green state with "very" strict environmental rules, especially for businesses, so we recycle or reuse everything we can. It's a pain sometimes but our streams, lakes, and ocean are very clean so it is a wonderful place to live.
Here is a link to a sample DEQ document found on our our local waste management website. http://www.co.lane.or.us/PW_WMD_Special ... tisHHW.pdf
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
t4k

Post by t4k »

Deacon wrote:I just used the Delta Kits uv sealer and catalyst on 4 sets of headlights today and I was amazed at the ease of application and the results so far. I had been using another sealer with high uv properties but discovered that over a short period of time(3 or 4 months) it would yellow (amber, as the manufacturer calls it). Question; has there been any reports of ambering with the Delta Kits product?
All the UV coatings I've seen have a tendency to amber with time. The results on the lenses remains the same though.
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

Interesting post. I am missing the link you are talking about.
Brent Deines wrote: Here is a link to a sample DEQ document found on our our local waste management website.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Frank EU wrote:Interesting post. I am missing the link you are talking about.
Brent Deines wrote: Here is a link to a sample DEQ document found on our our local waste management website.

http://www.co.lane.or.us/PW_WMD_Special ... tisHHW.pdf
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

t4k wrote:
Deacon wrote:I just used the Delta Kits uv sealer and catalyst on 4 sets of headlights today and I was amazed at the ease of application and the results so far. I had been using another sealer with high uv properties but discovered that over a short period of time(3 or 4 months) it would yellow (amber, as the manufacturer calls it). Question; has there been any reports of ambering with the Delta Kits product?
All the UV coatings I've seen have a tendency to amber with time. The results on the lenses remains the same though.
I don't know about amber, but I have to agree with t4K that all UV coatings will discolor eventually just as the factory lenses did. We have not had any reports of our headlight restoration UV coating yellowing, but to be fair we have been selling it for less than 2 years. Our testing began before that with one of my vehicles being part of one of the first tests with our current product and it still looks great.

I have had a comment about rocks chipping the coating in an area where roads are heavily sanded, but rocks also chip factory lenses, paint, and glass, so I think that is going to be something we cannot control completely. An automotive shop dripped something on a headlight that I restored just hours before taking it to the shop and it left a mark, but of course they cannot tell me what it was, or even admit it was them for that matter. Easy fix so no big deal, but if I find out what it is I will report it here as something to be aware of.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
candyman
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by candyman »

The customer had a new lincoln fully loaded w/rain sensors etc... His granddaughter kicked the windshield out when he stopped to get chewing gum on the way to church. The girl was 13 or 14 years old. She was mad because she was in a hurry.
I normally use the extra UV mix on the rear lights or soak it up with a paper towel and throw it away. I am better at judging how much is needed these days. I rather have a little extra than run out. I was just at the local shopping center and two guys were doing HL in the parking lot for $20. No UV or buffer. They were using polish and a spray can of lacquer. I watched them do a 2008 escalade, that had a small amount of whiting in the center. That owner is going to be upset soon, I started to give him my business card. Then I wondered if it could be buffed out since they used lacquer on the lens. They were doing newer vehicles that only had a very light hazing to the HL. Brent what do you recommend for vehicles that has had that done to them? They wouldn't let me put Business cards out , yet these guys were going about their task unnoticed. I talked to the manager, and he stated he wasn't aware it was happening. They were driving an old vehicle that needed lots of repair and their own HL & W/S repaired. These guy's are local according to the store manager. When I do HL's I normally do the Front side light since they are side-by-side. Sometimes they need it, while other vehicles look so-so. It just seems natural to do that. Brent, am I doing that correctly or should I charge when I do them? That may be why it takes me longer. Some of the lenses, clear, wrap around both, while other vehicles have a seperate red/yellow cover. I may be cheating myself. Iam very pleased with the UV products I purchased from Delta for HL's. I am not sure about the orange buffer. Sometimes, it seems its not spining or dragging when set on the 3-4 range when using the yellow polish pad. Whats the recommended speed?
Ricersux

Post by Ricersux »

I don't know what the recommended speed is, but I don't think the metabo I got is fast enough to burn through the acrylic. I ran it wide open through all the steps with great results!

(These lights we not fogged totally over by any means but did look very bad on the top half of the lens)

BEFORE
before sentra.jpg
before sentra.jpg (143.28 KiB) Viewed 441 times
AFTER
after sentra.jpg
after sentra.jpg (135.68 KiB) Viewed 441 times
-Eric
CLEARVU INC.
Indianapolis, Indiana